Downloading Music or recording it live!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by timps, Jul 15, 2004.

?

If you download or record live music, do you still buy the CD afterwards??

1. Yes

12.5%
  2. No

25.0%
  3. I don't download or record live music

62.5%
  1. timps

timps Member

During a recent thread, the topic of downloading music or recording live performances has come up.

How many people, even thought they have downloaded or recorded the music, go out and buy the 'official' cd when it is released??

What are people's views on this??

Lee Downie
    Ex-Flowers Percussion

2. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

You need an option of 'I don't download or record live music' :wink:

I don't do either 'cos its (usually) illegal.

If I want a piece of music I buy the CD.

3. dyl

dyl Active Member

Added!

4. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Why do you need this poll because you have already said (on the EBBC 2004 CD thread) that; 99.9% of people buy the CD's even if they have downloaded it or recorded it live !

5. timps

timps Member

Mainly because that is my opinion from people I know, I wanted feedback on this issue from a wider spectrum.

6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

dont know if this is the right place to put it or wether it suold be in a different thread, but im going to anyway!!

i heard on the radio the other day that it isnt illegal to down load music etc off sites, its just illegal to distribute them. any one on hear know the legal standing on this?

7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

It IS illegal to download copyrighted music from a site. Even if copyright law doesn't get you you colud also fall foul of the laws governing reset of stolen property or obtaining goods by fraudulent means.

I actually tend to buy CD's first and then rip them to my iPod. I have never seen the attraction of P2P software and avoid it like the plague. Being in the web hosting/security business I am well aware that you very often get lot's of things you didn't ask for from such sites. I don't use it and I won't have anyone in my team using it either. I am also still to be convinced by the legal online music stores, not from a security standpoint, but rather from the quantity and variety of the tracks in their back catalogues.

8. Just curious. Before the wonderful internet graced our lives, how many of you ever taped off the radio or a CD, tape, or LP? I have, admittedly, only for private use and to preserve the tape, CD, or LP I had purchased. Better to play that dubbed recording over and over than wear out my tape or scratch up my LP. 100% of them are classical recordings which are quite rare. I never gave a thought that I was ripping off anyone and as a composer, I would never think I was being ripped off this way. After all, I did buy it first.

Kenneth D. Friedrich

www.kfsbrasschamber.homestead.com

9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

You make a good point here kenneth. The answer is I expect most of us did. It was, and still is, copyright theft. Remember the "Home taping is killing music" campaign of the eighties. The difference between then and now is that the industry tended to accept that this was happening as most of these copies would be destined for the purchasers own use and the quality would be nowhere near as good as the original. With digital copying and the internet this is no longer the case which is why they feel they have to crack down on it. The situation today is so bad that it is seriously affecting record companies revenues. About time, some might say, but without the record companies there would be less music around and it would probably be more expensive. I believe that the record companies do charge too much for recordings but it looks like the idea that the rise of the internet would drive down prices just ain't gonna happen.

10. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Perhaps Dave Payn can confirm this, but I'm pretty sure it has never been illegal to tape radio or TV programmes so you can listen to them later. It may be illegal to hang on to the recordings afterwards, but recording for 'time shift' has always been OK. And quite reasonably so, otherwise VCRs would be illegal!!

PS Just read the tMP Copyright FAQs and my theory has been confirmed. This is WELL worth reading as it covers everything! Kenneth should be aware that this is UK law, although I would think it's pretty much the same in the USA

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Music
    topic
    thread
    performances
    views
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

That what I've always understood, although I believe there is an actual time period specfied (2 or 4 weeks seems to ring a bell) which has been exceeded a little in the case of a couple of my "Bandstand" recordings :oops:

13. In fact, there has been a crackdown here in the States on internet download 'theft', with hefty fines being handed out to the free download websites, as well as tracking down the downloaders. But as I understand it, the law has been relegated to the civil courts.

Pretty ironic, as one comic pointed out, that the biggest outcries for ending theft of music, have come from gang members and felons-turned- rappers. Amazing they're the 'victims' now.

Kenneth D. Friedrich
    www.kfsbrasschamber.homestead.com

14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

It's a bit confusing even for those of us who work in the copyright world!Philip's quite right regarding VCR's but the general assumption, I guess is that unless you have a double video player as opposed to the double audio cassette decks that appeared in the 1980s, not too much 'added duplication' would occur regarding videos. i.e it would be more for home viewing than trying to rip off record companies by buying a CD/LP and running off loads of tapes to flog to people (not that I recall too much of that happening. I mean in the days before the CD, it was a case of buy an LP, tape it once, keep the LP preserved and listen to it on your Walkman as opposed to buying the officical tape as well as the LP!). As I remember, the government of the time were thinking of imposing a levy on blank audio tapes to cover the cost of 'home taping' though I'm not sure this ever happened.

To be brutally honest, I'm too much of a technophobe to understand all the stuff about Internet music downloading etc (not something I've done...) though we do have a department that deals with that. I shall consult them at some point tomorrow and put on here any useful snippets of info that come to hand.

Kind regards

DP

15. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

It depends on what the music is and whether I think it is worth giving money for (i.e. if something is crap I'd probably end up deleting it anyway).

Copyright is very much like patenting and both have their good and bad points, whilst they protect the individuals who have created, they hamper the free movement of information, which is beneficial to society, so it is a balancing act. What I don't like is that the current legislation is far too capitalist both in patents and copyright and allows unscrupulous firms to exploit individuals for large financial gain.

At the end of the day if I hypothetically come across some illicit recording of a top band playing someone's work and I want to keep it, I will endeavour to purchase a proper copy, thus giving money to the individuals involved. I'm not sure I would behave the same way if it was a multimillion pound rap star signed to sony.

16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Did you not leave a letter off that word? ;-) :)

17. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

i think you will find that this is what they do in Germany and some other Continental European countries. Doesn't really sole MP3's and the like now though!!

As for similarity to patents, the thing you have to remember is that copyright arises naturally whereas patents ned to be applied for.

Igg