Double Yoke Eggs!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Dec 24, 2006.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Ok .. random question....

Mummy and me went shopping in South Molton yesterday and bought a nice tray of 'double yoke eggs' thinking they would be quite exciting for Christmas Day breakfast... got me thinking.... how do they know without looking that an egg is going to have two yokes? and how does and egg get two yokes? is it like birdie twins? :tongue:

Festive Fi
  2. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Yes if the eggs hatched they would be birdie twins. I don't know exactly how they tell but all I buy is double yolks from my local butcher. They do seem to be a bit larger than ordinary extra large eggs and my butcher won't garuntee every egg to have a double yolk so my guess would be they go on size
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Yes they are usually bigger and often more elongated than 'normal' eggs. You can tell for sure by Candleing i.e. shining a bright light behind them and looking at the sillouette of the yolks.
    Double yolkers often come from the same birds who produce a high percentage of doubles. These birds are often seperated from the main group so the producer can quickly guess which are double yolker eggs just based on size and shape without candleing and then sell them at a premium.
  4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

What an eggstremely interesting question. And how eggciting to have two yolks in an egg for Christmas Day! Eggstraordinary!

I shell have to end this eggscruciating post here because my brain is getting scrambled, but don't worry, I'm only yolking.

5. Pops2501

Pops2501 Active Member

Eggsactly...!! ;)
  6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I think I must oeuf a strange sense of humour. I'm expecting to get fried by the mods for addling the topic. Hope I don't end up with egg on my face, because if that happens the yolk will be on me. :tongue:
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Actually, just to wonder vaguely in the direction of the topic for a moment, Wikipedia has the following info:

"Some hens will lay double-yolked eggs as the result of unsynchronized production cycles; although heredity causes some hens to have a higher propensity to lay double-yolked eggs, these occur more frequently as occasional abnormalities in young hens beginning to lay. Usually a double-yolked egg will be longer and thinner than an ordinary single-yolk egg. Double-yolked eggs only rarely, and even then only with human intervention, lead to the successful development of two embryos [2].

It is also possible for a young hen to produce an egg with no yolk at all. Yolkless eggs are usually formed about a bit of tissue that is sloughed off the ovary or oviduct. This tissue stimulates the secreting glands of the oviduct and a yolkless egg results; it is found in the white tissue just outside of the yolk. This is the visible remnant of the undeveloped embryo."

Don't think I've ever seen an egg without a yolk before :eek: I think I'd feel cheated if I had one of those because the yolk is the best bit! You can't dip your soldiers into the white!
  8. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Not quite sure how that works then.......... ;)
  9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I didn't notice that!! Good old Wikipedia - never lets accuracy get in the way of a good article! :biggrin:
  10. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

eurgh! yuck yuck! I only like the yoke!

Does anybody on tMP keep chickens? Me and my mum want some, but dad doesn't.... they're really easy too keep though aren't they?
  11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I thought hens went cluck cluck, not yuck yuck? :tongue:

I don't think hens are very difficult to keep - that said, I've never had any myself. ;) They are reasonably low maintenance - they need letting in and out of their house to avoid the fox getting them at night, and they need feeding and mucking out etc (and of course you have to collect the eggs!). Other than that, I believe they are pretty straightforward....
  12. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Get Bantums they're nicer.
  13. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Perhaps these double yoked eggs are from demand by the Salvation Army? After all, they did write an excellent piece "Share my yoke"

I thank you.
  14. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

He's here all week!! :clap:
  15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I reckon a few of these posts should really be moved into the "bad yolk" thread ;)
  16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I'm eggstatic that you've joined in though Peter! :tongue: (Do we think that's an oeuf egg jokes?)
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Yolk K, I shell not post any more ;)

TIMBONE Active Member

OK, enoeuf is enoeuf, reading these posts is really cracking me up. Having said that, I suppose they are bringing me out of my shell a bit, and I feel like I have the strength of a lion. Which reminds me, what is the difference between toast and the Boys' Brigade - toast makes better soldiers :)
  19. ju33les

ju33les Member

There's nothing better than a bit of old HAM to go with one's eggs......:rolleyes: