Double Vertical Labrets, would this change my playing?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by snowflakeee, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowflakeee

snowflakeee New Member

I am particularly curious if there are any trombones or brass players with their lip/vertical labret pierced who could tell me if this would change anything? Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

An example of this piercing can be found here: [​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I don' think it'll harm in any way, if anything, it'll keep the embouchure nice and firm, helping decrease playing pressure, and increasing range and sound at the same time.
  3. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

You just have to be kidding, right? No offence to the OP but why would anyone even remotely serious about their playing want to jam hunking great chunks of metal right where they'd interfere the most not to mention going right through areas of delicate muscle tissue? Same goes for tongue piercing, IMO.

Definitely a case of fashion over common-sense, sorry!

4. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

The thing I have thought when seeing this sort of piercing, will any air escape through the hole by the side of the inserted pin? if so, I think it certainly would cause a problem.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  5. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Aaahhhh... this takes me back to my formative years when i decided i simply couldn't live in this banal world without a tongue piercing... It lasted until an important contest when someone commented on how it had effected my tongueing. Out it came...
  6. hicks

hicks Member

Unbelievable! This has got to be a wind-up. I can't understand why anyone, let alone a brass player would want to do this. It looks horrible.
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Not totally relevant, but related.....

A pro trumpet player I once knew had to have some form of jaw surgery (something to do with an errant wisdom tooth, I think) which was normally done under local anaesthetic and involved cutting some of the tissue/tendons near the bottom lip. His surgeon had explained that this cutting carried a small risk of damaging the control of his bottom lip. As a result he opted to do it the hard way - they gave him a general, temporarily dislocated his jaw and removed the offending denture(s) from above.

Point being, if he was prepared to go to those lengths just to avoid any potential damage to the lip area, what damage could a badly done piercing inflict? I'm sure loads of people will now post saying that they've had multiple lip piercings with no ill effects, but all it takes is one slip.

If you're serious about your playing, I wouldn't do it.
  8. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

How many pro brass players have lip piercings?

That might answer your question.

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If it's a test question then the best idea is to take the jewellry out before playing.
  10. on_castors

on_castors Member

I can't imagine it will have very much if any effect playing on a trombone sized mouthpiece when fully healed, but lip piercings are not the easiest to get on with, and it will mean no playing for quite some time if there is any hope of them healing well. Taking them out very frequently is not something I would be keen of doing, it's not the same as thin "everyday" earrings.

The picture shows very shallow piercings, and I would wonder if they will "migrate" toward the surface very quickly, rather like some shallow eyebrow piercings do, especially with a lot of pushing from a mouthpiece!?

I am days away from 50years old, & I have a couple of piercings, so I am not reacting like so many horrified "Daily Mail" readers in this thread - this sort of thing is not shocking to me. If people got out a bit more they might find that having piercings are a a lot more mainstream and "normal" than participating in an extreme minority activity like playing in a Brass Band, but I am afraid I also think this is particularly unattractive, and likely to be annoying!
  11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.