Double buzz

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jonesy, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

I've been suffering with an embouchre problem which, I have learned, is commonly spoken of as 'double buzz'. If you type those exact words into google then several articles come up suggesting remedies. (If anyone is wondering what I mean, go on the wikipedie page which google will find, and there is a short cound clip). I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with this and if so how you got rid of it. It's so infuriating! It can happen on any note but is most likely to occur mid range, particuarly middle Cs (cornet, btw!). If anyone could impart some wisdom I would appreciate it greatly, thanks.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cs
    google
    articles
    particuarly middle Cs
    exact words
  3. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Yes! That is exactly what I have been trying to explain to people for about a year now ever since my embrochure change...and no one understood what I was talking about. I haven't got rid of it, although it never happens on notes below or above the stave. It's so annoying, it drives me mad! The second note is always an octave lower than the note I'm trying to play, is this the case for you?
    I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has some sort of magic cure for this.

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Have you got a teacher?
    Have they given you any advice?
    Have you gone to see anyone IN PERSON about this problem?

The biggest problem on any internet forum is that we cannot see/hear what you are doing, so suggesting remedies is quite problematic.

I have experienced this with only one student and I found free buzzing (lip buzzing without the mouthpiece) to be very beneficial.

I know that there are a number of discussions on this subject on Trumpetherald and Trumpetmaster (other discussion boards) - I will try and find some relevant information for you

www.trumpetmaster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5679&highlight=double+buzz
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10116&highlight=double+buzz
    http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47585&highlight=double+buzz
    http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45956&highlight=double+buzz
    http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41353&highlight=double+buzz

There's some to be going on with

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  5. thevolslover

thevolslover New Member

I had this problem with Trumpet for almost a year. I was a fine horn player. Switched to trumpet, didn't play for about 2 months, came back to it could't hit a 4th space E. Slowly progressed to where I couldn't even hit a third space C. This greatly frustrated me. I tried, and tried to make high notes come out and after about 6 months was barely hitting a high C. Stopped playing trumpet and switched back to horn. Now I'm way better at horn because of trying that. Don't know what happened on trumpet I was ok at it for a while. Whatever, I suggest seeing a teacher or professional about your embouchere. Or practicing high notes. That seemed to work for me.

6. Glehany

Glehany Member

I'm a big advocate of seeing a teacher, and I still have regular lessons. I developed a double buzz a couple of years ago though, around the time I was doing 1st trp in Mahler 6, and while I went from playing a lot of cornet to playing mostly trumpet. My teacher (quite a well known pro) saw nothing wrong with my embouchure and I had no range problems, high or low, and he told me it was something I needed to sort out myself - it sounds harsh, but he was right.

I think you need to get someone to look at your set-up and check it's ok, but you might need to fix the double buzz yourself if there's nothing to see.

I found free lip buzzing as trumpetmike suggests helped a great deal, as did mouthpiece buzzing. Something else I found useful, and still do from time to time, was free buzzing, also then moving on to free buzzing and putting the mouthpiece on and keeping the buzz going into the mp.....then doing the same with the mp on the trumpet. I also did a lot of very quiet legato playing, concentrating on making as clean a sound as possible playing as quietly as possible. My double buzz has been gone for over a year now, my sound is a lot better too.
    Gordon

7. craigyboy1

craigyboy1 Member

As above a good teacher is a top option.

This happened to me about a year back for a short period and I did a lot of digging around to find some answers.
    The double buzz can be caused by too much playing, especially continuing to practice after the lips are tired.
    It's a catch 22 because you want to practice more to get rid of the double buzz but you can actually be prolonging it.
    Try a little rest combined with mouthpiece buzzing.
    A double buzz and crackling etc will appear more readily on mouthpiece alone. So practice mouthpiece buzzing aiming for for a clear uniform note.

p.s. when mouthpiece buzzing with a cornet moutpiece, hold it with the thumb and fingers of both hands. That way you hands are in a similar position to when you are playing and any pressure on the lips will be even.

All the best.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I don't think there is any easy fix for double buzz (or burring as I term it). It definitely occurs when both lips vibrate at different speeds. As Glehany has suggested, it's a matter of trial and error finding the sweet spot to rest the mouthpiece against lips and set the embouchure. Depends also on the dental setup, airflow and gap between teeth. It can occur with overplaying if either upper or lower lip is more fatigued than the other.

9. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

Hannah, I find I occasionally get a double buzz when my bottom lip isn't tight enough. I remember Mark Bousie saying it just came form tiredness so it may be that you're wearing yourself out quickly. Like I said in the other thread, sounds like you need to get a good teacher and sort out your embouchure.
    Not that you were souding bad last time I saw you!
    xx