Don't You Just hate It When...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by skiosbod, Dec 11, 2011.

1. skiosbod

skiosbod New Member

you go to a new Brass Band after being invited for a rehearsal. You've taken an interest in Banding again after not playing for a few years. You go early so you get there in plenty of time to find the location. You find the Band-room dark and deserted. You wait for half an hour and still nothing. You go home disappointed after wasting time and fuel going in the first place. You then find out later they've cancelled the rehearsal for that night and put it forward a day. Interest in Banding now gone. Gone to search for another pastime to do. No wonder some bands have trouble recruiting players!!:mad:
  2. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

Done that, do not wait half and hour now, if somebody does not arrive before time, I have gone.
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bit of a drastic reaction, skiosbod? Write off that band by all means but don't cut off your nose to spite your face...
  4. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

There are two kinds of bands, in my experience (as a regular or guest, player or conductor): those who are organised and communicative, and those who aren't. I agree it sounds like you were unlucky, and unfairly treated ("we forgot" shouldn't be an excuse; whoever invited you should have got in touch). But Dave is right; it's a bit drastic to write off banding as a whole, surely?
  5. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Was this a general invitation - 'how about coming down for a blow' or was the arrangement that you went to a specific rehearsal?

If it was the former, perhaps you were just unlucky. If no-one knew you were going to that rehearsal, they probably wouldn't think of telling you about the change of date.

If it was the latter, it should have been down to the person inviting you to let you know.

But, hey, these things happen. If you are thinking about getting back into banding and give up at the first setback, perhaps you don't want it as much as you thought.
  6. LynneW

LynneW Member

The first rehearsal I went to with my current band was a blackout due to a powercut caused by a plane crash nearby. Luckily I went back again as I'm still there now about 4 years later.
  7. I was keen to get back to playing after a period of conducting. I went to one band and had the most boring rehearsal of my life. I simply went somewhere else the following week. Now I'm happy and enjoying banding again. There are loads of bands looking for players. Keep trying until you find a suitable one.:D
  8. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

It is very frustrating to find a bandroom dark and deserted, even 5 minutes before a rehearsal is due to begin.
    I have played in a couple of bands where punctuality is a long way down the list, often being the first to arrive, to find the 'locals' arriving in their own time.
    If a rehearsal is scheduled to run from 8-10pm, is it a lot to ask to find the doors un-locked at 7.45 and band members arriving to set/warm up?
    A prompt start and finish time (unless circumstances dictate otherwise), is just good manners.
    I am sure that turning up to a rehearsal, to find it cancelled is very rare, though poor communication within a band is not unusual in my experience, and finding oneself 'forgotten' can be infuriating at the time.
    On the other hand, players 'forgetting' to tell the band that they will not be at rehearsal, is also poor manners and can create an equal amount of inconvenience/bad feeling.
  9. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

It's band politics.

You are a guest, you therefore are not allowed to know important information like rehearsal cancellations. The band probably weren't even told because they aren't on the committee. You have to learn your place!
  10. winterman

winterman Member

On the reverse, it annoyed me a bit last night when I got a phone call wondering why our bandroom wasn't already open an hour and a quarter before rehearsal?! I, nearly, always ensure the bandroom is open around half an hour before! :/
  11. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

An hour and a quarter?
    Eeh, when I were a lad, bandroom were open 24/7. We arrived fer warm-up at 6 int' mornin, played thru whole library (without stoppin fur breath), then coached 'B', 'Intermediate' and 'Junior' bands, before havin mug of tea afore rehearsal.
    We then 'ad ten hour walk 'ome, afore strappin the kids and walking t' Whippet.
    You young uns don't know yer born.
    'Our un quarter afore practise! You lazy b............!!!!!!!! :)
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

you were lucky.....
  13. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

When I was at Imps in the early 6os, the MD, and most of the players worked for the company either in the offices or the factory, and the bandroom was on the premises.
    The MD took the younger players for personal tuition and work on test pieces during lunch breaks, and the bandroom was always available for personal practice through the day or night for shift workers coming early or office workers staying late.
    Good times !

- Mr Wilx
  14. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

You 'ad TEA???
    Luxury ... !!!
  15. Matt Henry

Matt Henry New Member

They obviously just forgot that they had a guest coming down for a rehearsal & therefore forgot to tell you rehearsal was cancelled. Annoying yes but just one of those things. Very drastic to give up banding because of it...
  16. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Tea? You were Lucky.. We used to have to reahearse in a Paper Bag in a Septic Tank, and Pay the Bandmaster for permission to Play, and when we got there ....

MOnty Python - Timeless :)
  17. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Septic tank? Money? you jammy get! We used t dream about septic tank!;)
  18. skiosbod

skiosbod New Member

Been once again and yet again place was closed. Maybe someone up there is trying to tell telling me something. Oh well, At least I have my Kindle!!
  19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Are you sure you're turning up on the right night?
  20. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

did you ring them to let them know you were going?
    They may still be having a christmas break?