Don't be fooled

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by David Evans, Dec 17, 2017.

1. David Evans

David Evans Active Member

A few nights ago it was really cold here, not a night for sleeping rough. Anyway there was a man just sat by the road literally freezing to death. I felt rather sorry for him, trembling with cold and so took him into my home out of pity, What else could I do, he might have been a brass bander?

A shame really because on the surface he looked quite nice. He didn’t say much so I didn’t get a name but he was white and quite thickset, a bit dirty and not very tall, his shoes were hidden although his arms were like sticks. He had a funny smile too with deep black eyes but no hair and he had quite a distinctive nose which looked orange under the street lamps but he seemed a good sort. But this morning he had just vanished without a word, not even a goodbye or a thank you for sheltering him. The food and drink was left untouched and he had left his scarf and hat behind but he last straw was when I realised he had peed all over the sitting room floor!

I am disgusted that this is the "thank you" I get for being good to people. NEVER AGAIN! Let me warn you fellow bandsmen...watch out for this fellow. Don't bring him in to your house, what a thankless huge mess he made of mine

Suzi Q likes this.
  2. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

It is a shame that your kindness and trust was repaid in such a way, but the outcome for you could have been far far worse than it was. You might like to consider talking to your local Police, just in case some keys or other item have been lifted.

Homelessness is, to me, shocking and it can happen so easily. Who knows what went through the chap's mind to cause him to behave so badly, certainly in a very unexpected way but perhaps that’s an issue for us all too. Beware that dealing with the homeless isn’t necessarily as simple as it sometimes might seem; sorry to say that I know of no easy answers - well none that I have any confidence in them solving the associated problems.

3. Hsop

Hsop Member

I think David is saying that he brought a snowman into his home . . . :)

'He didn’t say much so I didn’t get a name but he was white and quite thickset, a bit dirty and not very tall, his shoes were hidden although his arms were like sticks. He had a funny smile too with deep black eyes but no hair and he had quite a distinctive nose which looked orange'

4. 2nd tenor

April fool in December. Homelessness, not something to joke about and neither is people freezing to death.

“Anyway there was a man just sat by the road literally freezing to death. I felt rather sorry for him, trembling with cold and so took him into my home out of pity .... “

People sit and people tremble, snowman stand and are incapable of trembling.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  5. Fettler

Fettler Member

I must admit I too thought you were thick as mince getting taken in by an obvious joke, but now you have pointed out the inconsistencies with this man being made of snow I realise it is now everyone else that is stupid.
    I think there is a serious lesson to be learned here by us all. Before accusing a homeless person of urinating on your carpet, consider if that person maybe a snowman that is melting a bit. Check for twig arms, hidden shoes, and orange nose before making assumptions.

Suzi Q likes this.
  6. 2nd tenor

Maybe I am thick and maybe I took more note of some words than others, that aside I certainly can’t imagine how anyone could joke about people sleeping rough in the bitter cold we have had recently. This winter real people will sleep rough and suffer in the cold, some of them will die; how that situation could be associated with humour is a mystery to me.

A few nights ago it was really cold here, not a night for sleeping rough. Anyway there was a man just sat by the road literally freezing to death. I felt rather sorry for him, trembling with cold and so took him into my home out of pity

Maybe I’m being unjust or unreasonable. Perhaps, before retiring, the OP saw a lot of people die and helped a lot of people live, who knows? If such was the case then I guess that (for your own sanity) you have to become detached from and hardened to the reality of the lives, pains and deaths of others. Whatever, I’m out of this thread now.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  7. Fettler

Fettler Member

I've re read it and I think you are right. The op is clearly a very sick and callous individual. I'm feeling rather foolish for being taken in by this sort of twisted 'humour'.

8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I'm now getting confused as to who is winding who up, and who has the longer tongue in cheek ...
    In any case, could be some serious SOHF ... (IMHO ... )

9. Fettler

Fettler Member

I find your blasé attitude to this issue rather offensive. I just hope you never find yourself suddenly humbled by having to sleep in a shop doorway on a cold night, although perhaps then you could understand how we feel about this 'joke'?

mikelyons likes this.
  10. MissBraz

MissBraz Active Member

Wow... A few of these responses are a tad OTT.

11. Fettler

Fettler Member

I'm outraged by the lack of offence taken by some towards the op's ill judged and inappropriate 'joke'. It may seem like harmless humour, but this is just how things started in Germany in the thirties with jokes about big noses and gypsies.

12. MissBraz

MissBraz Active Member

Now that is definitely over the top..... ^^^^

13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Does anyone else feel like they've become trapped in some weird trans-dimensional rift ...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  14. julian

julian Active Member

David Evans, I don't know what you're moaning at. One evening last winter, as a kind gesture I left out a glass of milk, some mince pies and a few carrots on my doorstep for any passers by. What was my reward for this kind gesture? - Some dear old chap in a red and white suit scoffed the lot (well he gave the carrots to his animals) then somehow he parked his old cart on my roof and dropped some cheap toys down my chimney. Our lounge ended up full of soot. It cost me £90 to have the carpet cleaned (not to mention the curtains) and two hours to clean the lounge. We had to have 26 new roofing tiles and a new chimney pot and a new T.V. ariel. I paid out £55 for a scaffolding tower, slipped off the roof, ripped my trousers and broke my arm. I had to have 3 weeks off of work and a further 3 weeks of physio. I even lost my deposit on the scaffolding tower as I was unable to return it in time. The only saving grace was that I was able to fashion a new T.V. ariel out of an old instrument that I had in the garage. I'm almost ashamed to say that it was an old Regent baritone - our championship section M.D. (when he came to visit me at home) said that he had never heard a T.V. that sounded so good!

Suzi Q likes this.
  15. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

And I wondered why I hadn't logged on for a while...

Mesmerist likes this.
  16. Fettler

Fettler Member

No one noticed.

17. 2nd tenor

I’ve don’t intend to comment more on the original post but rather answer Katie’s comment. However, for what it’s worth, I’m pretty much in-line with #11 above (I'm surprised by the lack of offence taken towards what now appears to be an ill judged and inappropriate 'joke').

Katie, this thread really isn’t even remotely typical of tmp today - tmp is now typically a much more civilised place than it was a couple of years back. It feels like several years since you were active but I remember you making interesting and valid points in the past and hope that you will do so in the future too. Certainly this place is improved by female voices (eg. Accidental and Mesmerist) so please do say what you think - regardless of whether someone agrees with me or not I value sensible comment.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  18. 2nd tenor

I won’t be judgemental on that or your comment, but this link is relevant to your home area and maybe gives a perspective that you hadn’t considered. If you want to see for yourself what’s happening then I guess that you could volunteer to help, but be prepared for some shocks.
    Christmas shelter for homeless

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  19. David Evans

David Evans Active Member

I do sympathise with all the comments. Last Christmas we had a man and his heavily pregnant wife banging on the door asking to stay. What a cheek, so I sent them on their way with a flea in their ear, for Heaven’s sake this is England. I’m sure there was a whiff of animal there too. Happy Christmas to all.

20. Fettler

Fettler Member

Is the fact that poor people smell really a good enough reason to deny them shelter? I can understand that your experience with a homeless person urinating on your carpet may have changed your outlook, but don't let it make you bitter. We can all do our bit to help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice