1. Jules Cornet

Jules Cornet Member

Have just heard that Don Lusher has died this afternoon at the age of 82.

Don started his playing career in the Peterborough Citadel Salvation Army Band and on behalf of that band we send our very sincere condolences to his wife Diane.

A glittering career, an extraordinary trombone player and a thoroughly decent man.

Julian Bright
    Peterborough Citadel Band

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5151280.stm

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've moved this so that anyone can add to the thread, whether or not they are registered on the site.

When Don came to Hadleigh for our Songster Weekend a couple of years ago I had the privilege of hosting him for the day, and found him a real gentleman. Whenever we met since he would make a point of coming to say hello, and always had words of encouragement.

He will certainly be missed, and amongst a wide spectrum of musicians and music-lovers.

3. Suz

Suz Member

Sorry to hear this sad news. Don was a true gentleman, I was extremely lucky to meet him while at college and take part in a masterclass with him. He also helped me with my research when I was writing my dissertation.

My thoughts are with his family.

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I'm very sorry to hear that. I had the pleasure of meeting him about 3 years ago as he was the guest soloist at a concert I was conducting. He was a true gentleman and a pleasure to work with.

5. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Death of Don Lusher

Just seen on 4barsrest, the legendary trombone player Don Lusher has died, aged 82.

Terrific player, and a really nice person, an example and inspiration to generations of British trombone players.

RIP.

6. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

Very sad news. Don was a fantastic player and a great musician. He will be missed.

7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I met Don a few times when he would spend some of his holidays in Sheringham.
    A fine trombone player, and a proper gentleman.
    My thoughts are with his family

8. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Really upset to hear this news. He played Stardust & Concert Variations with my youth band a few years ago at the Millenium Dome, I was blown away by his playing. He seemed like a truely down to earth gentleman.
    A very sad loss.

9. Di

Di Active Member

Such a sad loss to the world of music.

10. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

He was my Trombone Prof at the Royal Marines School of Music and he taught me for the 3 years I was in training. A true gent and an awesome musician, still gigging up until his death I believe too.

RIP

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Don Lusher
    Bill Watrous
    Kenny Baker
    time
    description of Don
  12. Donkey Horn

Donkey Horn Member

Don came to Colchester Institute with a small group of old star jazz musicians whilst I was there about ten years ago. I'm not much of a jazz fan but as an ex-salvationist had obviously heard of this legendary trombonist. Quite a few of us met up with him after the concert where he was an absolute gentleman (as were the others who I can't remember unfortunately) and chatted to us all about his career and experiences with no pretention (unlike some other visiting players).

His passing is a sad loss to both the brass world and the music world in general.

13. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

I know that it happens, but you wish that people like Don would last forever. Of course, he will never be forgotten. Back in the 1970's, and to this day, whenever I have played a ballad or up-tempo solo, I have thought, "How would Don play it"? This is a sad day.

14. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I only met Don a couple of times, but he struck me as a thoroughly genuine and kind person. I attended a masterclass when I was a teenager, then about 10 years back, he conducted one of the local brass bands over here in a memorial concert for their recently departed conductor and wrote a piece specially for the occasion. When we chatted afterwards, what struck me was that he not only remembered me and that I was one of Eric Crees' students at GSMD, but he seemed to have a genuine interest in my career and he offered me lots of helpful advice.

His contribution to the world of brass playing cannot be measured.

15. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

A sad loss to all brass players. I had the pleasure of conducting Don's accompanying brass band on a couple of occasion's he was simply a great trombonist, a lengend that I am sure will always be remembered by both amateurs in the brass band movement and his colleagues in the big band world.

16. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I met him a couple of years ago when he was a guest soloist. He struck me as a super bloke and one of those players who are true stars without the need for an ego.

He will be missed.

17. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

The word 'legend' seems to be thrown about alot these days, but Don Lusher was a TRUE legend. I say that because although I never got the opportunity to meet him and only heard him play a few times, his reputation as a player, performer, leader and thoroughly good person goes before him. Every generation of brass player I know seems to have a story from when they met him, heard him play or come under his influence in teaching etc etc and that is mark of the genuine article.

18. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

The man himself in action way back in 2002. Unfortunately, the picture from the concert is taken from too far away to be able to see anything much, but you can just make him out as standing to my (the conductor's) left.

DL.jpg

DR_DL.jpg

Concert.jpg

19. Tack7

Tack7 Member

As everyone has said, he was a gentleman & inspirational to talk to. He came to a couple of our concerts at Regents Hall the night before the Nationals & most recently was at Cambridge when we did the Gala concert for the Masters. He'd always pop around the dressing room & chat with us & say how much he had enjoyed our performances. To hear that from someone as great as Don was just fantastic!

Si

20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Saw him with his jazz band at Butlins Contestcant remember if it was this or last year:clap:

21. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Quite poignent to hear the news of Dons death the day before the BB arrived with news of an award for Don at the forth coming International Trombone Festival, shame he won't be there to collect it and remind us all how to play a lovely smooth tune.
    Thank you Don for many wonderful moments.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Don Lusher
    Bill Watrous
    Kenny Baker
    time
    description of Don