D'oh, I left my head on the kitchen sink...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by timbloke, Jul 14, 2003.

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

Last Saturday I made the biggest gaffe so far in my banding career. I arrived at a job about an hour from home, opened up my case to find half of my trombone missing!! (The slide bit) In my haste that morning, when i decided to use my hard case as there was going to be a car full of people and junk, i'd forgotten to transfer my slide. Most embarrassing. As the only trombonist there for the job it made it even worse. I ended up missing the march (which was no bad thing considering the heat) and driving half way home where our other trombonist was having a fight with a car (hence he wasn't at the job) and borrowing his.

What are your best gaffes....?

my others include.... washing out a mouthpiece before a concert then finding i'd left it on the sideboard after i'd travelled 50 miles to the job.... :shock: leaving one shoe in edinburgh and having only one with me at the concert i glasgow.... :? and the other classic of leading the band the wrong way on a march and us ending up doing a u-turn in a builders yard!! :oops:
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Turned up for a job last summer - a march in the Llanberis carnival - without my instrument! It was bit of a mad rush getting ready, had only arrived back from holiday the day before, and I was seriously behind schedule - concentrated too much on getting the little one's pram and stuff into the car, and completely forgot about my horn!

Anyway, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as just before the march was about to start, it started peeing down with rain!

Ended up going into 'Pete's Eats' for a plate of the world-famous He-Man breakfast while the rest of the band marched around Llanberis getting soaked!

They were all convinced I'd forgotten my horn deliberately!
  3. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I think I've mentioned this one before but I went to Germany with Peterlee Band . Arrived at our first concert went to unlock my case then remembered that little bunch of keys sat on my dressing table back in England
  4. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Many years ago I was on tour in france and we were staying in the homes of the people who lived there (there is a point to this). Anyway we were due to be at a big dinner for the band with all the local dignitaries, however the night before we'd all been on the lash since it was one of the girls birthdays. Anyway me and another member of the band (who shall remain nameless) were staying with this family, I awoke the next day realising that we had to be outside the town hall but not remembering whether we had to play or not. About half an hour passed while I waited down stairs for the other bandsman, eventually he appeared looking none too good and exlpained that he'd been ill in the night and had spent the last half hour clearing up.

Ok well lets get off then, it was about a 10 minute walk to the town square and theres us dressed in jeans and T-Shirts. As we approached the town square we hear music... both of us looked at each other in horror "We were supposed to be playing!!!!" run back, change clothes, grab instruments, run back only to find the band packing up and a furious MD (he went scarlet!), we got an absolute b*ll*cking. We made a point at the dinner of keeping as far away as possible from him ... :oops:
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When we were in the guards, it would normally only be a few minutes after setting off from the bandroom before someone would begin flapping that they'd left something behind. There was nothing you could do about it anyway, but the worst thing was being unable to check until we arived at our destination and began to unpack. Usually it was an item of uniform that was missing, a plume or pair of socks, and most of the time you could get away with it.

Two particular instances spring to mind, one affecting me and one someone else. Most of the time I used to use the band's saxophone for anything outside, but on one occasion I'd had to take my own, but had forgotten to transfer the lyre from one case to the other. Nine times out of ten it wouldn't have been noticed, and most of the marches we knew so well we didn't need the music, but the Governor happened to spot it was missing, and so I ended up with extra sessions memorising the parts from the marches used that day!

The other one concerns one of our cornettists forgetting his instrument, and ending up carrying a flute round on the marching display, while the flute's owner played his piccolo. The only problem was that Charlie would keep blowing the thing, with odd squeaky noises popping out from the middle of the band. :lol: :lol: :lol:
  6. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

At Easter we arrived at a very plush concert hall in a lovely spa resort in the German Rheinland. It was a perfect evening, and on our way into the town we saw posters everywhere for the concert ('Royal Brass') and we were greeted by the concert promoter on the steps who told us it was already sold out. Fantastic.

Then we discovered we had locked the trailer keys inside the trailer. The spare set? Yes, they were hanging up in the bandroom back in Harrogate of course.

(After 20 minutes trying to break the padlock we took the doors off the trailer...)

7. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

off topic sorry - is it any good there because my bands of to the rheinland at the end of august - don't even know were it is :shock:
  8. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

One good thing to come out of this is that you'll never do it again!

I should know - that same thing happened to me at Stevenage for the 1sr section areas in 2000. I play a lot of different trombones and am alway switching between cases. I opened my case on the morning of the contest and saw my Bass Trom bell closed the lid and thought nothing more of it- until I opened the case for reahearsal - aaagh! - no slide. Of the stalls upstairs only one had a bass trombone, which luckily was the same model Holton as mine. Everything turned out OK as we qualified for the finals that day. :)
  9. Dan

Dan Member

You kept that one quiet on the day Mike!! :shock:

:D :D
  10. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

No point making everyone else nervous!! :oops:

I thought you knew about that - I think it was Sword, Jewel and Tweaker we played that day.??
  11. Dan

Dan Member

Yes it was and no I didn't know!!! Must have been running round like a maniac trying to sort the percussion out.

However, just to add to the thread I once went to a grade exam and realised that I had forgotton my cornet when I got there. Noy just the cornet, but the case too. Strangely I did remember to pick my music up!!! :|
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I suppose, in true Michael Caine fashion, you were "only supposed to blow the ...... doors off :!: :lol: :lol:

I also heard a few weeks ago of a leading Salvation Army band that managed to turn up for an engagement without the right music. Rustling up a programme and playing off the hoof, it was apparently one of the best concerts they have given for some time, what with the flow of adrenalin and everyone having to be on their toes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
  13. HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter Member

I was engaged to play in the pit orchestra for a production of "My Fair Lady" in Nottingham, many moons ago. I turned up to the Sunday band call complete with drum kit - having proceeded to set it up, we were just about ready to start when I realised I'd forgotten my drum stool..! :oops: What should I do??? Do I play standing up? Do I crouch a bit, so as not to draw attention to myself? In the end I finished up sitting on someone's instrument case. Good job I was a mere slip of a lad at the time!!

I also remember doing a contest (Rhyl, I think) with City of Stoke Brass - we'd folded up the xylophone and rolled up the wooden keys, which we left on a luggage rack. Whilst setting up the percussion equipment at the contest venue, it dawned on us that the keys were still on the coach. Only one problem - the coach was locked and the driver was nowhere to be found. As I recall we ended up playing all the xylophone parts on glock ... and we still won! :lol:
  14. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I forgot the music to the study for my Grade 8 trombone exam :oops: . I hadn't memorised it either ( :shock: for those that followed the playing from memory thread). I had to go back the next morning while the examiner was having his breakfast and play the study.

He must have felt sorry for me as he gave me a distinction :p
  15. CRat63

CRat63 Member

We turned up at the area contest in Bradford one year with our brand new converted horse box carrying all our percussion. You guessed it, somebody left the key at the bandroom for it and we couldn't get in to any of our percussion and some basses. Luckily one of the band members knew Bradford quite well and legged it round to the fire station where they cut the reinforced steel padlock off the horse box....to much laughter from the fire stations occupants mind you.

16. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I can think of several things...

in my Saltash days:-
    I left the tom tom holders for my drum kit at home once, so had to drive home to get them... needless to say I never did that again...
    but then I arrived at another gig without my drum stool a few weeks later! :shock: (D'oh!)
    I've also left my whole music pack at home once... Ooops... luckily I knew all the pieces in my head... and playing kit you can get away with a lot anyway :D

Oh yea, when I was in Plymouth Band, we were playing at a contest in Torquay, it could have been the BB finals; we forgot to put on one of the bass players instrument onto the coach... :roll:

All the joys of banding! :D Don't you just love it!! ;-)
  17. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

BBD's sop player forgot his music pad at one gig earlier in the summer. He then asked the librarian if he had any spare sop music :? like you carry a spare sop pad around you. He then drove home to get it for the 2nd half and got a speeding ticket on the way back :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:
  18. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Took the bass clef copy of one of my grade 6 pieces to the exam instead of the treble version, ie bass clef concert pitch (I can read bass clef but C's turning into Bflats was too much for my 14 year old brain, why oh why isn't everything in concert pitch?, but that's for another post). Luckily somebody else from my school swapped exams with me and I was driven home to get the treble version.

I was present at both of timblokes marching fiascoes. Last Saturday was awful, the Euphoniums had to be front row in the march!

Had a cock up once when singing Handel's Messiah. We got a guest conductor in for the actual performance, who got rid of half the sit downs our conductor had arranged, and the hot concert lights had their effect on me and I feinted during Hallelujah chorus.

I also have the horrible feeling that I have left my pad ( and a bottle of Claret I won in the raffle) at our last band job, which is miles from my house.
  19. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

You had me really confused there... I played Sword, Jewel & Tweaker and was sure it was 2nd section, the only time I played first section was at Basildon. Just checked, 2000 2nd Section... BOC, BOC, boc, boc, .......
  20. euphemism

euphemism Member

I turned up at the Whit Friday marches a few years (well ok a few more than just a few) having packed bags hurriedly... got there and found 2 left shoes.....my wife tried in vain to buy some shoes for me - but almost ended up driving into a playing band whilst trying to park - and gave up....

Needless to say my feet ached after all the trapsing around - bu a few beers dulled the discomfort !!!