Does your band sing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by super_sop, Aug 29, 2003.

does your band sing

1. we sure do (look out pop idol here we come!)

2. Not on your nelly

1. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

H, ive just got back from a really fun practice at Wem.
    we have a concert tomorrow night, and one of the pieces we played was
    Hello Dolly, and in the middle section the band sings (complete with Harmony!!).
    I was quite surprised of the quality of the singing involved!!! :lol:

So heres the poll, can your band sing, and what pieces are you playing/ singing to :?: :?: :?:
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Aaaarrrrggghhhhh! Roger never mentioned singing when he asked me and a couple of others from Deiniolen to help out tomorrow! :roll:
  3. super_sop

Im sure youll be fine :lol: :wink:
    looking forward to meeting you
  4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Didn't I Dyl? :oops: Must have slipped my mind. :roll:

5. twigglet

twigglet Member

Don't worry Dyl, when it comes to the high notes I just mime because I can't sing to save my life..... smile sweetly and mouth the words and no-one will ever know.

Wem is a very well sung band though (!)
  6. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I had to read that last line twice then Elin! :shock:

7. mel

mel Member

I think you are fibbing Elin, you sang very well at the Christmas concert as Miss Von Trapp, may I add in front of an audience of 300 :lol: +
  8. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

In the Middle of a Rehearsal at SSBB, a week before a Entertainments contest i must add, The Bass section (which believe me aint all sain hey leisa???!!!) decided to sing the chorus to Riverdance. Its the bit after the solo cornet has finished its solo and tutti join in.

We ended up having the whole band singing the chorus to Riverdance on stage needless to say we didnt win but it was so effective and emotional, with only the principal cornet player!!!!
  9. leisa

leisa Active Member

yep and th3en we had "the oblique one 2001b" the freaqkish piece not singing but making strange sounds down ur instrument stamping ur feet and roaring at the end.

that bandsman woman sounded quite surprised we didn't win! although non of the audience laffed - i did i found it quite amusing!!!
  10. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

Surprised!?What can we say craig, wem are a talented bunch! However I can't take credit for it. I think it's more our barber shop singers that deserve it.
    Were you here for our Christmas concert last year? Well if not they always great fun - full of surprises (you're lucky you weren't here when they had Ray, Geoff, Frank and Derek dressed in tu tu's...!)
  11. super_sop

Sorry to say i wasnt there for last years concert, but i sure am looking forward to this years
  12. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

Sure youll love it. Bet you're sorry you missed last years though, Elin, Sal, Mel, Becky, Blondie, Janet(with broken leg)and John I think dressed as the Von trap family(sorry if I missed any off, which I think I did.) Comedy value was excellent, not talking bout the singing - that as beautiful! :)
  13. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

nope our band don't sing :)
  14. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I have a voice like a hoover!
  15. We sing Savoy christmas medoly - and if you couldnt guess - we play/sing that at christmas.

is odd tho as i am certain that i hav a note that i am ment to both play and sing :shock:

but the whole point of playing brass is so u dont have to sing. . . .

. . . . ohh and of course all the other great things banding offers :D
  16. Sueee

Sueee Member

does singin on the bus count?!? :shock:

TIMBONE Active Member

yes we do

Flixton Band have a concert piece entitled 'Presley in mind'. The third and final song in this medley is 'Wonder of you', horns, baris, euphs and bones sing the well known backing vocal!
  18. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I'm terrible for doing this. Just come back from touring Belgium, kept singing all the tunes on the bus, especially Swinging Safari, I can't get it out of my head, be-doo-ba, be-doo-ba, be-doo-ba, be-doo-ba. be-doo-ba, be-doo-ba, be-doobie-do-bah,

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhh! Need hypnosis or something.
  19. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

At The Salvos weve been singin for years , I think it's part of the package :lol:
  20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As Aussie Tuba says, singing has been part of SA banding for a long time, originally male voice arrangements, with or without an ensemble from the band accompanying. There are a number of very effective arrangements with a trombone quartet, and others with various small groups being used.

There have also been a number of more substantial pieces incorporating singing, such as Ray Steadman Allen's "Christ is the Answer" (as performed - and sung - recently by Fodens) and Bill Himes' "To the Chief Musician". As the majority of SA pieces incorporate a hymn tune as some point there is often scope for adding vocalisation if desired, and there have also been a number of "singalong" style pieces where the band can encourage the audience to join in if they are singing themselves.

In the Guards, we were very often expected to join in singing with various selections, hence getting to know the words of "The Lily of Laguna" etc!