Does the way you play sometimes depend on the band you play with?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by perfect cadence, Jun 26, 2006.

1. when i play with a good higher section band i seem to play better than i do when im playing with a lower section band, granted im not a brilliant player anyway but .... i just wondered if other people have noticed this in their own playing?
  2. premacyblue

premacyblue Member

As someone who moved from a lower section to a higher section band I have noticed that I put in a lot more effort and concentration than I used to do before. It must be a psychological thing!!
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Kind of..... the better quality of sound and power gives me more inspiration to play better, but it normally doesn't make too much difference...
    For me though, it's the kit I play on that make the majority of the difference... I play much better on my own kit or a kit I'm familiar with than a rubbish one.
  4. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

Yes I can sooo relate to that. I went from an almost begginers band to second section and my playing improved dramatically and it even encouraged me to practice more :eek:
  5. ha.... well i played for a 4th section band, but i am not a member anymore, but i am helping them out over the summer and playing an entertainments with them.... but i am going to rehersals at at a cham section band.... and i jus seem to play better on a whole with the higher section band....
  6. my playing improved dramatically and it even encouraged me to practice more :eek:

ye i practiced a lot before but now ive played with a higher band i practice every day and theres no time limit to it.. i dont get bored and i jus constantly work on the music for next rehersal...... i concentrate more and i am more worried about the way i sound..... i love it.
  7. maybe we play better with higher section bands because we know we have to?
  8. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Interesting that all the answers so far have been positive (i.e. I play better with a better band), I play in a 1st Section band but help out quite a lot wih a 4th/non-contesting band where my son I pays and I find myself making more silly mistakes (missing key signature, etc) with them than I ever would with my own band.
  9. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

And I also found that sitting next to someone who was more experienced than myself ureged me to work harder instead of letting them do all the work.

Am also wondering if it works the other way too. I mean has anyone moved from higher section band to a lower one and found that they are falling behind slightly in their playing?? :rolleyes:
  10. starperformer

starperformer Member

there is no question that it is far easier to play well when others around you are playing well. this comes down to a number of factors
    * concentration
    * motivation of good sound all around
    * don't want to be the one who is messing it up
    * intonation is something you don't have to worry about so much because there is a much stronger aural point of reference

although there can also be an element of
    * relatively weaker players may think they are playing better because their playing is not heard at louder dynamics, and the overall sound (generated by others) is good

of course the fact that it is easier is offset by the fact that you are expected to work harder and set higher standards all the time, which improves your playing and motivation, etc. etc.

it would be a fantastic virtuous circle in every decent band if it weren't for problems of
    * commitment
    * politics.
  11. oh ye i ever thought about that.... i mite not be playing better, just that i cant hear myself as much so i feel im playing better as i cant hear the mistakes..... oh never thought about that..... sugar an i thought i was improving.....
  12. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

Well there is always someone somewhere ready to tell you you're not as good as you think :tongue: Usually they are standing up infront of the band waving this stick thing about and call it conducting :p
  13. lol...... no the conductor at hatfield is amazing and always telling me im doing well and so are the people in the band so i can't complain about that. i think im my own worst critic.
  14. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

I must admit our MD is very encouraging. I have very little self confidence when I am given a solo etc. always say 'I can't play that' even though I probably would have few problems. I guess it's just a back up incase I make a massive b***s up of it. Just practicing now haven't played it with the band yet so bound to mess up.
    Probably wouldn't worry so much if was back in my begginner band all those years ago..... ha ha teach me for not doing research on the bands in Yorkshire when I moved up.
    Must have died when they put Gary Young's 'Marching Saints' infront of me! 2nd cornet part an all :-? It's bril for begginners but I did find it slightly tedious after the first half hour :eek:.... sorry going slightly off topic :(
  15. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I find in most disciplines that involve a team of some form or other if you are taken out of your normal team and placed in a higher graded one you tend to try and play up to the standard of the new team. My theory is that you are trying to keep up (part of this belonging feeling that most people like to have) as you know they are not going to come down to your level . If you're put in a championship band you're not going to want the conductor constantly having to pull you up in front of everyone so subconciously you're going to concentrate more to try and make sure this doesn't happen but if you're sat in a 4th section band where you know you can play everything as well as if not better than most of the players sat around you and the music probably isn't quite so hard you don't need to concentrate quite some much so your playing probably isn't going to be of such a high standard as when you sat in the championship band and really concentrated.
  16. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Well we had a Championship section dep EEb playing for us yesterday - easy outdoor stuff and he nicely b'd up the intro to Cruella de Villa - he was a beat ahead - but he just carried on - apparently the more confidently he played it the more likely everyone else would be to think they were wrong and catch him up. We didn't.

Having said that we let him play cow bell 3 weekends ago on African Funk - that was something to hear too. Oh and it wasn't Geordiecolin.

So perhaps when better players go along to lower section bands they think "it'll be easy" and maybe concentrate less.

As to different bands at BBSBB I play 2nd EEb but at Killamarsh I usually lead so probably similar amount of concentration for both.
  17. jim

jim Member

From my exspriences yes it douse somwon told me once 'your only as good as the band your playing with'
  18. so im not actualy improving any.... jus trying harder to get to their standard?
  19. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

sorry you'll have to excuse me I have a big problem with going off on a tangent and forgetting what the current topic was :oops: I just talk banding way to much.

As for being as good as the band you are in that's quite correct but I think also the band is only as good as it's weakest player. It's no good having a few fantastic top players if the rest of the band can't support them and I think this is the reason why we might feel we play better in higher rated band as you know if you are the weaker player then the band can only be as good as you in the long run :redface: ....I think :rolleyes: