Does the conducting 'bug' exist?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Something close to my heart! In my musical 'career' I've been lucky enough to have had the opportunity to conduct a number of groups, brass bands/ensembles, wind bands/ensembles, church choirs and amateur choirs and since, I suppose, 'setting myself up' as a conductor, I've rarely been idle in that department, luckily. This isn't a 'post to boast', I merely say this to highlight a potential problem... read on.

It's a worry more of my girlfriend's than mine, that when I move up to Arran in just over three weeks' time, I'm initially going to be 'idle' conducting wise. I won't know how much I'll miss it until the time comes, I guess! I've had a potential offer to deputise for the Dumbartonshire Concert Band, but nothing much else. But is conducting a 'bug'? Do you get hooked on it once you start or can you take it/leave it? Do you miss it if the opportunity's not there? Just trying to possibly prepare myself for possible withdrawal symptoms! :)

2. jpbray

jpbray Member

Dave

Surely by now every band musician and his/her dog must know you are moving to Arran other than just the Dumbartonshire Concert Band. So I reckon given a couple weeks you will be well into it. DON'T WORRY. :p :rolleyes:

3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Not really worried.... yet! I just wondered whether this 'bug' does manifest itself in conductors! :)

4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I have to be very careful. It can get the better of you if don't keep a tight rein on it. Luckily I'm still more of a bass player than conductor - though if anyone needs a stick wagger I'd be happy.... STOP

You might start wagging things in those idle moments that occur when you're on your own :) Do be careful as it can become an obsession!

*coat!*

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

How many times have I 'conducted' in the privacy of my own home? I've lost count! :)

6. Ross Berry

Ross Berry Member

Definitely is a bug.

I have not conducted properly for a couple of years and am definitely twitchy about it at the moment.

You find yourself listening to groups and thinking things like.... I would have done that differently, or I wonder how the band would get on with that?

7. mikelyons

Conductor's TwitchSymptoms: An inability to conduct simple time signatures like 3/4 4/4 and 5/4, due to an inadvertent extra twitch before the down beat. This often results in horn players coming in too early and, when combined with composer's finger, the production of wedding music in a combination of 11/8 and 13/8.

If not treated promptly will result in permanent involvement in 20th century orchestral music.
    :)

Treatment: This ailment can be treated by strapping the patient onto a trolley and wheeling the up and down the aisles of a local supermarket that plays muzak. Alternatively, if it is Christmas time, the patient can be treated by immersing them in Christmas jingles which are freely available.

8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I've only conducted a few times, but I find myself conducting CDs and concerts, which is BAD!!! It's definitely a fun thing to do, and you get to finally have total control over the music (something us trombones usually miss out on...) so I guess I could get addicted!!!

9. mikelyons

Lynchie:

Today, the Trombone section, tomorrow the Band, the day after, Bandless :)

10. musicmaker

musicmaker Member

The Bug

I am out of UK at the mo with work and every band night i am thinking how things are going, hoping their rehearsing what I’ve asked, ect ect.

When I'm playing I'm always looking at the conductor, trying to learn from him or seeing if i would do it different.

My F/Horn player in my band has a three-year-old son and when we were reh before the areas last year he would stand behind me and wag his hands in time. If you put a band cd on he can keep time.

He will have the bug. I think he wants my job!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Arran
    Dumbartonshire Concert Band
    ensembles
    weeks
    wind bands