Does Rimmer's "The Cossack" have a Flugel part?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jobriant, Apr 8, 2017.

1. jobriant

jobriant Member

One of the marches in the Pacific Brass Band library is “The Cossack” by William Rimmer. We have what appears to be a complete set of parts – except for the Flugelhorn part. We do have the Repiano Cornet part, but it’s labeled “Repiano” but not “Repiano & Flugel” the way so many early brass band pieces are.

Is there a separate Flugelhorn part for “The Cossack?”

And if so, would anyone be willing to send us a scan of it, so that our set will be complete? (The march is in the Public Domain in the USA, having been written in about 1904.)

Thanks & best regards,

Jim O’Briant
    Gilroy, CA
    Conductor / Staff Arranger
    The Pacific Brass Band
    www.pacificbrassband.org

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge, there exists no separate flugel part for "The Cossack". In common with many other marches of that era (and others by Rimmer), it is assumed that The flugel doubles the Rep part.

mikelyons likes this.
  3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I'm sure I remember playing a flugel part to the Cossack which was similar to the Rep (with the underneath duet part in the first repeated section) but without some of the more interesting bits the Rep gets later on. Flugel then doubled up with the 2/3 cornets. I could well be wrong though. The Rep part is nice.

4. davidsait

davidsait Member

I've conducted a Rimmer march, published by Wright and Round, that had a flugel part. However, the flugel part was not written by Rimmer, rather the publisher had added it themselves. It often doubled the rep line, but certainly had some other interesting bits.

5. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

From what I see the Cossack is published in the U.K. by Wright and Round and so it seems likely that they would be well placed to give a definitive answer (The Cossack) .

As for procurement you might have to pay a small charge for their time and effort, etc., but surely that's not unreasonable and affordable for a band of your standing.

Checking I see that 'The Cossack' is also in the compilation 'Twenty Famous Marches' (20 Famous Marches Full Brass Band Set | Band Supplies) . I don't have the book needed or even know whether there is one (Flugelhorn) in that set - Twenty Marches is commonly used so many UK MD's will know.

Post #6 edit: http://wrightandround.com/uploads/S20FAMOUS.pdf - shows instrument list.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  6. jobriant

jobriant Member

Here's what I've learned from several sources:

(1) "The Cossack" has no Flugel part.
    (2) "The Cossack: DOES have a Flugel part (and the email included a PDF copy of it).

(3) The full story: When originally published by Wright & Round, "The Cossack" and a number of other marches had no Flugel part. In addition, the Trombone 1 and Trombone 2 parts were published in Tenor Clef. More recently (since 1980 or 1990 or thereabouts), Wright and Round has produced new editions of these marches. In the new editions, the Trombone 1 and Trombone 2 parts are in Treble Clef, and there is a Flugel part that was not in the original edition.

Another correspondent also recommended "20 Famous Marches" and, so that I'd know what was in the set, he sent me a scan of the list of titles in this collection. We already have nine of them in the Pacific Brass Band library, so we won't be purchasing the collection. But the page he sent also notes that there are now parts for all standard Brass Band instruments and that the Trombone 1 and Trombone 2 parts are in Treble Clef (thus, these are the new editions that include the Flugel part as well).

We were busy this weekend with a Pacific Brass Band concert in Pacific Grove, CA, so I haven't yet taken the time to sit down and compare the Repiano and Flugel parts note-for-note. When I do I'll post my observations here.

Thanks to all who responded on this topic!

Jim O'Briant
    Music Director / Staff Arranger
    The Pacific Brass Band
    www.PacificBrassBand.org
    The Pacific Brass Band

Slider1 and 2nd tenor like this.