Does pressure get applied to TMP Admin when certain names are mentioned?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by catastraphone, Nov 4, 2012.

?

Do you think TMP is free from external pressure?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. catastraphone

catastraphone Member

It seems to me having studied numerous threads on Tmp that it seems a pattern to threads being locked when the dynasty is mentioned. Obviously Demi-god status individuals like the Childs boys are going to attract conversation, accusation, praise, false praise, jealousy, admiration, hero worship and all other manner of comment. David King, another contraversial figure in our movement has been mentioned numerous times with regard to rehearsal technique, swearing and ranting behaviour, but he doesn't seem to get on the phone to have conversation brought to an abrupt halt. Banding is full of the rumour and here say that fuels gossip and band room politics. It's been that way for time immemorial, but when controversial and powerful figures in banding do controversial things like buy a bands library, sack established players to make way for family members, swear and rant in rehearsals or be a bit duff at conducting complex time signatures is Not this the place for us plebs to have a chat about it, have a bit of a gossip and chin wag before returning to our lowly outfits with 19 in band?Is it the case that when things here are said that overfill individuals don't like they can lean on moderators or administrators to have threads locked or altered? Does that happen? Should that happen?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    TMP Admin
    litigation
    site
    inherent risks
    abusive posts
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I'd like it to happen to all your posts!

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Nope, I am not bullied by anyone - don't care who they are. However I will respond when and if contacted by people who are personally abused on here, and I have been by one or two individuals. If there are personal comments that have been made, I will of course do the right thing and remove them.

I've also had online threats, personal threats to me & some of my family, childish ****-taking-parody www sites set up by eminent players, idiotic members here joining those ridiculous parody sites, threats to come to my home, legal threats, all manner of telephone calls demanding this and demanding that. My legal bills one year to get idiots off my back were many hundreds of pounds. I also get people complaining the service could be improved... I usually reply with a suggestion to them to ask for their money back. There's also people who would love to take tMP off my hands... but one arsewipe I know of has written, "he'd never get the better of me" - the thing is I have the transcripts to prove that I have.. hah, prat!

I will only react by amending posts if comments have been made, and I am made aware of them, and they are of a personal and offensive nature to anyone.

The number of times the mods get accused of favoritism over the years is ridiculous... and ludicrous.

5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Yawn.

6. catastraphone

catastraphone Member

Thanks for such a comprehensive response John. It is appreciated that you take the question seriously.

7. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Shame you couldn't have asked the question of TMM by a PM, rather than trying to embarrass him and force him to answer the question publicly for the Nth time, really.

John and I have locked horns over a few things over the years, but I admire his determination to keep tMP (a) running; (b) fff and (c) free.

My only suggestion for making tMP a happier place would be to introduce a verification process for all new members, where, like on other sites, users cannot post until they have responded to an email sent to the address of their choice thereby making the user traceable (to an admittedly variable value of 'traceable').

Now, catastrophone, (I keep typing catapstrophe. I wonder why?) if that was the case, would you even be posting?

8. catastraphone

catastraphone Member

I had to click a link in an email To activate my account Will. ???

9. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Now then, Im fairly, no make that "dammed"sure that if anyone typed something dodgy enough on here that they would have a nock on the door before they had finnished typing Allah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I doubt tracabilty is a problem at all

Excuse me a sec, someone at the door

10. catastraphone

catastraphone Member

Wouldn't that mean though Ian, that in the event that's one says something offensive about another, Lets say I call Alex Fergeson a ####, couldn't the site simply forward the details of the offender to the police or Alex Fergeson there by relinquishing themselfs of any blame. Surely that would mean the execs here could be pretty much immune from any kind of pressure from the "Alex fergesons" of the band movement as the blame would lie firmly with the connector not the host of the site?

11. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

A small snippet from "Basic UK libel law for idiots"

lhttp://www.urban75.org/info/libel.html

Feel free to peruse this and read it all, although the relevant part of the article is in Bold.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    TMP Admin
    litigation
    site
    inherent risks
    abusive posts
  13. Will the Sec

Then John has updated the registration process and newer anonymous people had best be aware tthat they can be held to account. Good - I am pleased to stand corrected.

14. Sonorous

Sonorous New Member

To be honest, as one of the anonymous people i would hope that tMP admin would immediately crack down on someone abusing the right to post on here regardless of any registration procedures. I know that I had to verify my account by e-mail a while back anyway. I am in complete confidence that tMP would hold my identity as confidential unless I behave in such a manner to warrent using this information in the right way.

In my experience the admin on here have always been extremely fair and thorough in their management of discussion. Only jumping in when they really feel they have to, regardless of their personal views on any discussion.

I'm not sure why the OP feels so hard done to, and I agree it would be better to have posted this as a PM to tMP rather than start a thread. Hats of to the tMP admin for not just deleting it immediately (as they would probably be entitled to). This shows a real commitment to allow open and fair discussion even if it is having a pop at them.

Excellent forum, excellent admin :)

15. Sonorous

Sonorous New Member

PS I haven't voted, mainly because I think the question is too leading. Is tMP free from external pressures? Of course not, they will have people contact them, they will have to make judgement calls on this all the time. This is the way life is.

Does it try to run a fair and open forum? Yes, absolutely.

16. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

I voted yes in so much as any forum is liable to 'outside' interference as outlined by sonorous above. In fact I am in total agreement with both of Sonorous's posts above and I think I love him. Catastrophone only has himself to blame if his posts/threads get locked. You can't expect to come on here saying Dyke are sacking their euph, flugel, and 2nd bari to make way for family members while at the same time implying they are selling the library to the SA via the md without outside parties getting annoyed and hey-presto, hayto-potayto the thread is locked.

17. Sonorous

Sonorous New Member

blushes! ;-)

18. catastraphone

catastraphone Member

Come come, there is no need for that. Even I couldn't imagine the good Dr stooping so low as to blatantly sack faithful 2nd baritone players to satisfy nepotism on a scale never witnessed before. Jo and David are proven players and arguably at the top of the industry. Who on earth could be joining on 2nd Bari with the correct surname?As for selling the bands library to the SA, which I assume is code for World of Brass, surely that would be a manoeuvre so damaging to Black Dyke it would be counter productive?? I know your a Childs fan Hob, but aren't you going a little far with these insinuations?

19. Will the Sec

Front up and say who you are, catastrophone, list all your previous monikers on here (kingsmessenger, maybe?), and you may be given the beneift of the doubt. as it stands, all tMP seems to have had from you is stirring and rumour mongering.

20. TheMusicMan

No.

You could be sued, because I can - and subsequently the Police can - trace your IP through your ISP etc. I have provided information to the authorities in the past.

I could also be sued. Hence some of the editing of posts and threads. I am not after any medals or accolades, sympathy or 'poor John' (donations - yes please though!!) but it's not the readership/membership of tMP who risk being sued from what's posted on tMP.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  21. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

22. TheMusicMan

No need to fret Will... I know who this is.