Does Open Adjudication mean the death of Brass Band Audiences?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by delboy822, Oct 4, 2010.

1. delboy822

delboy822 Member

There was a bit of chat on Kingdom's Forum today about pre-draws and how they affect who's in the audience (and how big the audience is)?

With the draw for the Scottish Open and Shield Contest already made public due to them both being openly adjudicated do you think that people will be more or less inclined to just travel to the contest venue to see the bands they want to see rather than attend the whole contest.

And although better for travelling bands that know exactly when they are due to play instead of turning up early for the draw to find out they're playing last, players will be even less likely to pop in to listen to a few bands before they have to be at registration, losing another chunk of the potential audience...

Just wondered...
  2. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

I don't think pre-draws would make too much of a difference to audience numbers - irrespective of when it's drawn audiences still come and go, and will only stay for the bands they want to hear, especially the 'big names'. I think it's more down to the test-piece. Take BiC for example - a great day's entertainment where you only occasionally hear the same piece repeated, so folks are more inclined to stay in, and that's irrespective of the ticket price 'cos it's not a cheap day at The Sage. :D
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Nail, Head. You'd have to be a proper band geek to want to sit through 18-19 performances of, to pick a random example, Terra Australis or On the Shoulders of Giants, great pieces though they are. There are a few of us left, but we're a dying breed and we can't generally fill contest halls.

Even "own choice" gets a bit samey - too many bands like to play the same pieces. Contests like BiC or the Sunday contest at Butlins present the opportunity to hear something new and different from pretty much every band. It's the future. :tup
  4. GordonH

GordonH Member

I think the snow will have a bigger effect on audiences at the Scottish now that its been brought forward a few weeks. If the weather is as bad as last year it may even affect what bands get there on the day.
  5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I don't think Open Adjudication makes any difference to audience numbers whatsoever.

Pre-draws do though, imo. There are undeniable benefits to the competing bands knowing what time they need to be where so rehearsals can be planned better and there's less hanging around, but unfortunately it can also kill the atmosphere at a lot of venues because so many people just turn up to play then disappear again without stopping to visit the trade stands or listen to anyone else. I really noticed that at Wychavon last year, which was a real shame.
  6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I think that's definitely true of smaller/local contests, and the end result would be that trade stands would disappear because it wouldn't be worth their while, meaning even less revenue for the organisers. However I can't imagine it would be true of the bigger contests like the Nationals (champ. section), Open, or Masters, where I think a significant number of the audience do go with the intention of spending most of the day in the auditorium. So nothing to stop pre-draws & open adjudication there, then ...