Does Loud Cheering Get Better Results

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GJacko, Mar 18, 2006.

?

Does cheering loudly for your band get you a better resuly?

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    46.0%
  2. No

61 vote(s)
    54.0%
  1. GJacko

GJacko Member

Does cheering loudly for your band help to get better results at contests?

2. Ste69

Ste69 Member

I hope not, we need more support at our areas - It's a bit thin on the ground usually

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well it all depends if the adjudicator is influenced by them or not:confused:

4. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Yes, almost definately but only if it was a performance to merit the cheers!!!

5. madsaz

madsaz Member

dunno, we have done well when no one cheered and done badly with loads of cheers. Recently we had cheers from people with no affiliation to the band whatsoever, but even that didn't seem to influence the adjudicator (not that he'd have known but it was more cheers than we usually get). I suspect some days it may even go against you....

6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

:dunno

How about we conduct an experiment. Everybody in the L&SC come and cheers after we've played tomorrow, and if we do well then we know that the theory works! ;)

Oh hang on, there's a flaw in the argument somewhere isn't there?! ;)

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Adjudicators tend to suss out if there is a big crowd (or not) before a performance starts so favouritism (or justified applause), I would reckon, wouldn't matter in their subjective marking!

8. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

No of course not...

Although I think there may be an element of audience reaction in deciding the results (I say this optimistically of course). If an adjudicator(s) can't quite decide between two bands then maybe the fact that the audience enjoyed one performance better than another would come into the equation? Or it could simply be a fact that one band is more local so brings more fans!

And I won't even go into the "oh this is a big band because the hall is suddenly full" argument!

9. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Can't really answer that question but we played last in our section at the areas this time and got a great cheer from the audience, all the bands were in plus the (surprisingly large) audience that were there for most of the section.

After our very large cheer and long applause we got 2nd place...though we did play rather well if i may say so myself...:biggrin:

10. We always take a large and very enthusiastic following when we contest and at our last two contests they were VERY appreciative ;). But we also played very well I must add, some of those standing and applauding at Blackpool were people I did not recognise. I cant see it having that much of an effect on the adjudicator to be honest. They are more professional than that I think :confused::wink:;).

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Loud Cheering Get Better Results
    band help
    results
    contests
    Better Results
  12. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I would think that the audjudicators are aware that some bands have/take a large following/supporters. Who quite rightly so, will give a loud cheer no matter what the performace sounded like.

But it does help the band to feel good when there is a large and long cheer at the end of a performance. :biggrin:

13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Crikey, no!

I doubt very much that any adjudicator would spend 10 minutes picking a performance apart, only to be influenced by about 30 people (supporters...) cheering madly. If its good, then cheer, but if its bad, please please don't.

I remember at the old Leicester Festival a band played the most lousy performance of High Peak I've ever had the displeasure to hear. Their supporters started cheering and clapping well before the final note had finished. It did them no favours - they still came last, and just made their supported look a bit silly really.

14. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

I dont think it makes a difference, however I always scream my 7175 off like a friggin nutter when my bro plays on stage...

But thats just because he's ****** awesome!!

15. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

The good bands generally get a cheer, the favourites often get a cheer even if they weren't up to much, bands with lots of supporters (in particular youth bands in the lower scs often get a bigger cheer no matter how good they were). The fact they have support is great for the band I think. I don't think it influences the result at all.

16. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I think that's a bit harsh. You can't help having supporters that are so proud of the band with all their hard work, that they cheer like mad no matter what the performance was like. It's only the same as attending some school concerts, you're really proud of all the kids, even though you sit there wincing a lot.

Cheer no matter what I say. It's good for the bands.

17. Steve

Steve Active Member

Yes, it does make a difference but Im not sure thats the case all the way through the sections.

18. horn1

horn1 Member

More interestingly: does it make a difference if a band gets applauded ONTO the stage??

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As I've said previously, I think it is much better to allow applause as a band takes the stage.

Regarding the question of whether applause influences the results, I've voted "no", and I'm sure those who played with Grimethorps on "Maunsell Forts" would probably agree; tremendous reception in the hall - and not just because of who they were - but only merited 13th place when the results were announced :(

20. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I've voted no because I don't think it does, or should.
    Seems to have worked for Staines yesterday though! :lol:

21. RussQ

RussQ Member

There is a fairly recent phenomenon of people applauding the 'top' bands just for walking on stage. If this is not a give away to the adjudicators I don't know what is. I would like to see people showing their appreciation at the end of a performance, not the beginning!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Loud Cheering Get Better Results
    band help
    results
    contests
    Better Results