Does Individual's Behaviour on Online Fora Affect Their Standing in Business?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Apr 5, 2008.

?

Does Individual's Behaviour on Online Fora Affect Their Standing in Business?

Poll closed May 5, 2008.
  1. Yes. The impression given on-line is a powerful if sometimes inaccurate.

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yes, though I'd take the time to seek out other information before I made a judgement.

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. No. I can see through any on-line facade and know the real person.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. No. I'll only ever take an impression given by their own website.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

So, would you seek to employ the services of individuals that present a negative image of themselves on-line?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    negative image
    Online Fora Affect
    Behaviour
    Does Individual
    services of individuals
  3. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

If seeking a service of any description, and knowing that I had no personal knowledge of any of the available service providers, then obviously a negative appearance would be a definite NO.

4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

First impressions, and all that.......

If the first impression you have of someone is formed solely from having internet discussions with them, and that impression is negative, why would you then want to seek that person out to see if they are just as disagreeable in person?

5. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Reputation is something that is hard won and easily lost. The manner in which it is won is fairly immaterial. It might be by word of mouth, positive comments in the media, good PR work etc. However, Gerald Ratner found out the hard way that years of work building up a good reputation can be lost in a few unguarded moments.

Coming back to the original question - if the only standard available by which to judge a person is their persona on forums and that persona is generally perceived to be negative, self-centred, argumentative or provocative for the sake of provoking, then I would suggest this is not the sort of person with whom one would seek to have a working relationship.

Unfortunate as this may be, I think it is human nature to react in this manner. It does, obviously, leave the way open for a group of unsympathetic people to set out deliberately to blacken someone's name for their own devious purposes. But, in something as public as an Internet forum, that sort of behaviour soon becomes apparent for what it is.

On balance, taking the individual's apparent perception of themselves and attitude towards others in the forums, my considered response is, No I would not employ such a person.