Does Anyone Recognise This Music?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jack E, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

I first heard this piece being played by a brass band over 50 years ago, at a Scout Rally. I've been trying to track it down for years, but have no idea of its name or composer. If anyone can enlighten me, I'd very much appreciate it.

The attached image is what I've worked out from memory. I'm pretty sure this is the middle section of the piece, but I can't remember the main theme.

Unknown March 2.jpg

Any ideas?

With best regards,

Jack E.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Jack E
    Scout Rally
    years
    piece
    ideas
  3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Trio section from "Entry Of The Gladiators" - Julius Fucik .

There are a few errors:
    last quaver in bar 8 should be Ab
    Bar 12 should be minim E. two crotchet C's
    Bar 13 should be mnim Eb, crotchet D, crotchet C
    I'm assuming the first crochet of Bar 14 is intended to be 'A', although the leger line doesn't show on my display ...
    Penultimate bar should be crotchet D, crotchet A, dotted crotchet B, quaver C

4. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

Many thanks for your help, Gareth - and for your corrections.

Yes, I'd got that as an 'A', but forgot to draw in the leger line.

I'll see if I can track down a recording, and thanks again for your help. With best regards,

Jack E.

MTA

Found it on YouTube - that's the one! :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I would have guessed Florentiner March by the same composer. I've got eight versions in my collection but my all time favourite is the 1989 Grimethorpe recording called Classic Brass. Maybe Fucik used the same melody in both but you might want to have a listen to that as well.

6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

It wasn't a guess ... and dear Julius didn't use the same tune in both ... :)

7. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

If you don't know the version, you should hear Mnozil Brass playing it. Sensational!!

8. John Brooks

Thanks Philip. Have to have another listen to the Mnozil Brass version.

And GJG, I'll also listen to Florentiner and Entry of the Gladiators back-to-back with Jack E's "score" in front of me :)

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The Florentiner melody is at letter I in the attached file: similar in style in many ways, but descending rather than ascending at the start.

Attached Files:

10. John Brooks

Ha Ha!! Thanks Peter. I'm glad I didn't put any money down on my guess :). Now to get home and find Mnozil Brass.