Does anyone make an inexpensive Large Bore Cornet?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Broad, Aug 22, 2017.

1. David Broad

David Broad New Member

Bit of an odd question perhaps from a new member but one with 50 ish years with the same band, but does anyone make an inexpensive (Brass not Plastic) Cornet with large bore approximating to the Besson 928 which I think is .466" bore.
    I don't play cornet much these days spending more time conducting and arranging but when I do I have major problems playing my round stamp medium bore Sovereign (920?) as in almost passing out when trying out a solo and struggling for volume. I got on very well with a brand new 928 Sovereign the band bought last year but they are not within my price range.
    I just need something for occasional carol playing, last post etc so can't justify a 928 but something large bore made in North Korea or thereabouts should be ideal.
    Does such a Cornet exist?

2. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Active Member

3. Hsop

Hsop Member

Hi David

With regards to 'something large bore made in North Korea ', I'm not sure if that exists :). You should be able to find a Chinese made large bore cornet that might suit you. In addition to the Wessex that Andrew mentioned, John Packer have two models that might be suitable, JP271 (described as medium-large bore) and JP371 (large bore). Or perhaps a second hand besson 928? There are usually a number of second hand ones around if you search.

Regards

4. David Broad

David Broad New Member

Looking for something really simple, big bore no frills. The JP 371 one of our players was using at the last practice is pretty bad as regards intonation on 1st and 1st and 2nd valves for some reason

5. Emb_Enh

Emb_Enh Member

Hi, Its likely, just your chops have stiffened up from not playing cornet much these days [spending more time conducting and arranging].

The aperture closes off some and 'blocks' the air.

Less long tones / more lip flexis slurs when warming up should do it...until your normal chop feel returns...

or...buy a WEDGWOOD cornet 470+ bore [expensive] - Wedgwood Brass - Home page