Does anyone make an inexpensive Large Bore Cornet?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Broad, Aug 22, 2017.

1. David Broad

David Broad Member

Bit of an odd question perhaps from a new member but one with 50 ish years with the same band, but does anyone make an inexpensive (Brass not Plastic) Cornet with large bore approximating to the Besson 928 which I think is .466" bore.
    I don't play cornet much these days spending more time conducting and arranging but when I do I have major problems playing my round stamp medium bore Sovereign (920?) as in almost passing out when trying out a solo and struggling for volume. I got on very well with a brand new 928 Sovereign the band bought last year but they are not within my price range.
    I just need something for occasional carol playing, last post etc so can't justify a 928 but something large bore made in North Korea or thereabouts should be ideal.
    Does such a Cornet exist?

2. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Active Member

3. Hsop

Hsop Member

Hi David

With regards to 'something large bore made in North Korea ', I'm not sure if that exists :). You should be able to find a Chinese made large bore cornet that might suit you. In addition to the Wessex that Andrew mentioned, John Packer have two models that might be suitable, JP271 (described as medium-large bore) and JP371 (large bore). Or perhaps a second hand besson 928? There are usually a number of second hand ones around if you search.

Regards

4. David Broad

David Broad Member

Looking for something really simple, big bore no frills. The JP 371 one of our players was using at the last practice is pretty bad as regards intonation on 1st and 1st and 2nd valves for some reason

5. Emb_Enh

Emb_Enh Member

Hi, Its likely, just your chops have stiffened up from not playing cornet much these days [spending more time conducting and arranging].

The aperture closes off some and 'blocks' the air.

Less long tones / more lip flexis slurs when warming up should do it...until your normal chop feel returns...

or...buy a WEDGWOOD cornet 470+ bore [expensive] - Wedgwood Brass - Home page

6. David Broad

David Broad Member

It's the inability to cope with the back pressure on the lungs / throat which gets me. I'm fine on Tenor Horn but I was getting terribly breathless playing cornet even with a mouthpiece with the bore opened up. Is the Classic Cantibile any use? Its only for playing principally in pubs, Supermarkets and gardens around Christmas

7. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

A few important points...

1) Bore size is just a number - you can get instruments that feel radically different to play (in resistance terms) which have the same bore size.
    The bore is basically the diameter through the cylindrical section in the valveblock and slides - usually the measurement is taken at the second slide (inner leg)... The bell and leadpipe will have a much greater effect on blow than the a couple of thousandths difference in bore.

2) Opening up a mouthpiece throat (on it's own) usually makes very little difference to the blow resistance of the mouthpiece... Basically, by drilling it out, you make the cylindrical bore section longer - longer throat sections (for a given bore) in a mouthpiece result in more resistance. Drilling out both makes it more open (bigger bore) and tighter (longer cylindrical bore) at the same time - and often creates intonation problems because the backbore and throat entrance are compromised...

3) Be careful at any rate that you're not jumping to conclusions about what you need - sometimes more open blowing can create an illusion of resistance/backpressure (especially in the throat) where you subconsciously try to create it...

8. Tom-King

As regards your 920... It might just not be a great match for you these days, equally it might just not be playing great - older instruments that haven't been serviced (and especially if they've not been cleaned as regularly as they should've) can seem to be stuffy but are really just in need of proper TLC.
    Not saying this must be the case, but it's worth covering that base atleast.

What kind of budget are we talking here, btw?
    I've not found any of the really cheap instruments (lb or otherwise) to be great at all - whether it's stencils or instruments assembled in China to specific designs...

It might be that a good second-hand instrument would sneak into budget and provide a much more satisfactory experience (getzen eterna's for example seem to go cheaply used, but play extremely well - and pretty free blowing to boot)

9. julian

julian Active Member

Agree with Tom here. Much better to buy quality second hand rather than cheap new. Getzen Eterna's can be real bargains and they play really well. I've had several over the years and they've all been great - just need to check out the lead pipes because they do rot. Yammy Maestros seem to sell for much less than Sovereigns these days, and again, you can get a lot of cornet for your money as indeed you can with Courtoise 106 XLR's.

10. Tom-King

Agreed that the maestro's play well and sell cheaply... However, they have a major flaws (the top A on 1+2 slots very poorly). Also, the blow is quite tight compared to current largebore cornets.

The Courtois XL's I've never been particularly keen on - the build quality is famously... Well, a bit of a gamble.
    I'm not sure I'd be willing to take that chance myself even if I did like them.

11. julian

julian Active Member

Hi Tom, Yes would agree about the top A's on the Maestro (my daughter has one and I play it from time to time) - however still a lot better at around £400 - £500 than cheapish new. I've got a Courtois 106 XLR as a spare instrument and it's pretty good. Takes some filling, but I couldn't resist it on Ebay for £200!!