Does anyone know...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Chris Sanders, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Who/What Benjamin Breeg is/was??

I am trying to find out, this is proving quite difficult??

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

3. Chris Sanders

Thank you, thats great, very probably what im looking for, I can go get drunk happily now.

4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm intrigued as to how you heard about him and why you want to find out who he is/was?

He does sound an interesting character tho...I'd love to know what were contained in his paintings!! Sounds incredibly dark.

And Naomi?? Is there a link to any website that you can't find?!?!? lol

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

lol - nope..... although credit goes to google ;) just put in his name and that's what came up! :biggrin:

6. Chris Sanders

I unfortunately am a very sad individual in the way I like to learn a bit about music I listen to.

This band almost always write songs with deep meanings and fascinating tales, the first song released off their new album will be "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg", I just wanted to know a little bit about him before I heard the song.

And I too would really like to see these pictures, although it does say the book is no longer in print??

Ah well, cant wait for the song... :D

7. Chris Sanders

8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I reckon he never existed. One website (and only one) referring to him in a non-Iron Maiden context (the one Naomi linked to), giving bizarrely melodramatic details of his life without further verification, and stating that he produced many paintings, none of which survive. A bit too convenient, eh? Sounds to me like Iron Maiden made him up, and had the website created for verisimilitude. Is the name Benjamin Breeg a play on words of some sort? I've never heard of the surname, perhaps it's an anagram. Too sleepy to try to work it out now though.

9. Chris Sanders

I doubt it, Maiden use people and events from history and television in a lot of songs, like icarus, the wicker man, the prisoner and battles such as paschendale??

Maybe its the fact that he is so obscure that fascinates them??

10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Maybe they're playing with your mind by pretending such a character really existed? Have they ever done anything like that before? "No" doesn't mean that they aren't now - I think it would be quite an Iron Maideny thing to do. The website bio reads like a camp and absurd homage to darker themes - just like much metal.

I also see no reason why the band should be so mysterious about it if all the relevant information is available on a website that can be found so easily. It doesn't add up. There's an extra layer of mystery here, and I'm convinced that that site is just misdirection.

Someone wrote on a forum that I won't link to because it's full of metallic cussing:
    "you'd have to look up who Benjamin Breeg was......he was supposedly Steve Harris' childhood friend". It's the first link on Google when you search for "Breeg", down at the bottom. But then the posters there seem to be amazingly full of poo, so perhaps that isn't true either. Breeg is definitely a weird name - the only other solid reference I can turn up for it on Google is that it's the Danish version of the name 'Bree' in 'The Hobbit'.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    What
    Benjamin Breeg
    Does
  12. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

The British Library don't own any of his books - which if they had been published they should do. Also, the website was only registered last month....

13. Chris Sanders

Which would match the above post??

Im intrigued now??

14. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

I posed the 'who is he?' question on another MB (Fortean Times, full of inquisitive people who would know something about such a strange character if anyone did)

One guy found a new Benjamin Breeg site, but it looks like he's not really real ;)

15. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I've had a look and it seems as though it is a heavy metal song by Iron Maiden.I can ask my son,because he is an Iron Maiden freak.Thankfully I am a brass bander.
    CubbRep

16. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

The song is mint - Up The Irons!

17. Chris Sanders