Does anyone know of a way you can donate stuff to Social Services?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by scotchgirl, Feb 25, 2009.

1. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I have loads of baby clothes, baby stuff in general that could be put to use and I thought that rather than donating it to charity shops, I could maybe donate directly to a care home, or needy families scheme or something like that.

Can I find information? Can I hell. I know that technically its possible because it was a friend who suggested it, but she lives in a different council area to me....

I've checked S.Staffs and Wolverhampton...no joy.....any ideas?

2. winterman

winterman Member

Why not contact the Salvation Army? Although they are a charity and would probably at first say drop it in at a charity shop they will also have such a network in various areas where they have hostels and refuges etc.

It's all a bit tricky these days with Health & Safety issues but they will no doubt have contacts.

Also have you checked out "freecycle" in your area, a lot of refuges and community charities frequent there.

http://www.freecycle.org/group/UK/West Midlands

Hope this helps.

3. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

God I am so stupid sometimes!! We actually rehearse in a Salvation Army church!!! doh...I'll ask there tonight to see if they are interested, or can pass some of the stuff on....

Thanks for the suggestion!

:)

4. floppymute

floppymute Member

We're having a new kitchen installed next month so we have a number of large appliances going begging. We've already decided that we would rather give them away to someone needy rather than try to sell them.
    Does anyone know if the SA would take them or any other suggestions please?

5. winterman

winterman Member

Large whitegoods would definately be more for the likes of Freecycle.. As I recall from my younger days, furniture and electrical goods are tricky for Health & Safety aspects with the likes of the SA, possibilities of non-fire retardant, electrocution etc leading to potential lawsuits, shame really.