Does anyone have a recording of Trombones to the Fore?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by wittig, Mar 9, 2010.

1. wittig

wittig Member

We had just finished our practice at the welfare club last night and were having a drink in the bar when a well spoken gentleman came up to us asking if we had a recording of Trombones to the Fore. He explained that he had been a bassoon player for the army for 25 years. He said that he had searched far and wide for a recording and had contacted Frank Renton, but still had no luck.

I feel compelled to help the guy out, so I'm starting the ball rolling here to see if any TMPers can point me in the right direction.

I remember my parents had a tape cassette of massed bands which included Trombones to the Fore and Merrie England. I'll ask my parents if they still have it somewhere in the loft...
  3. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

I have a recording of it but its on vinyl. Think its the "World of Military Bands Vol 1" No idea how to convert it to any other format cos I have kids for that kind of mullarkey.
  4. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I have it on an LP entitled "The World of Brass Bands", on the Decca label, by the Massed Bands of Fodens, Fairey Aviation and Morris Motors, conducted by Harry Mortimer O.B.E.

PM me if you want any further info.
  5. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

6. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

7. The Wherryman

Gramophone? Yer dunt know yer born, lad. In ma young days, we ad to mak doo wit spinning the disc on a sharpened stick and holding one of our mam's knittng needles 'tween ar teeth. Gramophone...pah! Modern tomfoolery :mad:
  8. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

i have a cd with trombones to the fore on it, i shall dig it out and tell you what its called
  9. The Wherryman

It available on a cd "The Regimental Band of HM Coldstream Guards 1957 -1959" available here (scroll down to PC13 and it's track 20))