Does anyone else have a "euphonium muscle"?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by wittig, Feb 6, 2008.

1. wittig

wittig Member

What am I talking about? I'll try and explain.

I have an out of proportion muscle on my left arm, that I suspect is from holding my euphonium. As euph players know, we support most of the weight of the euph with our left arm leaving our right arm free to do all the stuff with valves (provided that you are not sitting crouched over with the euph sitting firmly in your lap!).

Does anyone else suffer from this brass band related condition? Check by bending your left arm so that your left fist is nearly touching your left shoulder. Look down towards your elbow and you may see what I am talking about. Then do the same with your right arm and compare. I do hope I'm not the only one!!!!

And another thing, (I hope someone else can vouch for this one too) brass players' lips. That muscle definition you get in your lips from years of hours of practising. One excellent cornet player (who shall remain nameless) who conducted our band at a competition a few years back strikes me as the best example I have seen of this.

2. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

yep. also got a notch on my right thumb from pressing on the case of the first valve!

3. TP Euph

TP Euph Member

Haha...classic! Is this a euphemism?!!!:clap:

4. SlidingHorn

SlidingHorn New Member

lol, my left arm's been bigger pretty much ever since I started playing trombone...the right one's more toned though ;)

5. wittig

wittig Member

I don't know what kind of person you think I am?!? :oops:

6. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

euph players cramp - its from all the practice!

7. TP Euph

TP Euph Member

The kind that's cheered up my day...thanks!;)

8. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Paul, how could you. That should be in the bad joke thread:D

9. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

i have no fat inbetween my thumb and finger (if you get what i mean), from where my horn rests! its quite disgusting actually!!! :)

10. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Don't know about a Euph muscle, but I've got a bone muscle;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    left arm
    left fist
    left shoulder
    right arm
    lips
  12. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I developed a muscle on my left shoulder (no not a chip!) back in the late 70's early 80's, when I was playing sousaphone pretty much full time. Its dissappeared now though as gigs are few and far between.

13. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Anyone else got "BPT" ?(Bass Players Thumb)

This is a patch of hard skin on top of the right hand thumb joint where it rubs under the tube that runs behind the valves, and also a deep hollow at the base of the thumb and forefinger caused by the tube.
    Well I think that's what caused it !
    - Wilkie

14. winterman

winterman Member

I have that lovely semi circle around my top lip from around 20 years of pressure playing (really must sort that out). It does sometimes get the girls in the pub asking questions when it is most prominent (like the lead up to the areas etc ;) ) which can lead to some interesting discussions ;)

Not sure about the arm muscle thingy (not got a lot of those anyway) but I do also have Bass Players Thumb.

:D

15. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

The last section of my right little finger is now permanently slightly bent towards the other fingers from where it sits in that little hook on a cornet near your valves (does that hook have a name?).

16. TP Euph

TP Euph Member

...out of proportion muscles... semi circular scarred lips... permanently slightly bent fingers... bass players thumbs... fatless inbetweeny thumb and fingery parts(?)... notches on right thumbs... and lips like a female bodybuilder's big toe.

It doesn't paint a pretty picture of how we'll look in years to come.:eek:

I'm glad we didn't choose a dangerous hobby!

17. on_castors

on_castors Member

I had always assumed that playing would increase muscle size, although I am not the worst for using too much pressure, but a year or two back saw me deciding on a change of look - I thought I would shave off the 'tache & goatee... you know, all part of the getting old thing:-(

Anyway, before the goatee, I grew a moustache many years back because I hated shaving, then having to play with all the nicks and cuts. So, it was about 28 years since I had been totally clean shaven, 10 years or so with the goatee too. Unbeknown to me, in that time, my top lip had disappeared. Non-existent, no kidding, I didn't even look like in old photographs, it was someone else's top lip! :-(

I would have thought all the years of playing (and that includes about 4 years or so fairly recently playing smaller instruments, (Cornet & Baritone). I would have thought it would have grown and bulked out, like a body-builder, not receded like everything else does with age - Belliy excepted! :-(

Needless to say the hair came back as soon as it would grow.

18. dizzy068

dizzy068 Member

I don't have the muscle mentioned because I rest all the weight of the Euph on my right thumb! - hence I have Euph Player's Thumb!! - this also goes a pleasent black colour from time to time tho I think its mainly dirt - from the instrument!! This style has caused me to dislocate this thumb in the past most noteably when setting up for a rehearsal on the morning of a contest - luckily the band I was in at the time had a GP playing for them.:tup
    I bear very little weight on the left arm and consequently I'm rubbish at playing standing up!

I also get two parallel vertical cuts inside my top lip when I play for prolonged periods of time and occasioanly tendonitis in my right hand....all part of the perks of playing.:redface:

19. on_castors

on_castors Member

Ah... I thought I was the only one, I get a single vertical "split" inside my top lip too, and once it is there, it takes ages to heal.

20. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

My right little finger has a dent in it between the two joints from the finger hook on my cornet!

Does anyone else wonder what archaeologists will say in a 1000 years time when they dig us up??

21. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

I get a dint in a finger on the left hand from holding my heavy Holton Bass Trom (wish I'd got a Rath even more so now) plus if you catch the side of the palm on that hand when you pull the slide back up to 1st position it doesn't half hurt! If you ever hear a bass trom player shout out in pain and start swearing, he/she's probably just done it!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    left arm
    left fist
    left shoulder
    right arm
    lips