Does anybody Know if....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GingerMaestro, Jun 7, 2006.

1. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

At rehearsal last night I was asked if a Piece of music we played was too short to use as a test piece. The piece is called "Music From Kantara"

If you have used it as a testpiece or know that it does qualify as a testpiece please let me know

Cheers

2. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Yup, it is definitely a test piece. I've played it with two bands and I think it was a set test piece for...some contest. Once. :confused: Sorry to be vague, but I've forgotten which one!

3. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Cheers for that I will let the MD know

4. I played it in 2002 at the mineworkers contest at Blackpool 2nd section.

5. jamieow

jamieow Member

Played it around '97 (ish) with the Wxm Youth band at Salford for the National Youth Band Championships, not a bad piece really.
    Think it could possibly have been a 3rd section piece for either Ponins or the Nationals around the same time.........

6. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Yep defo a lovely testpiece. Is it not the name of his house too?

7. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Yep, I heard that. Thought it was quite sweet :tongue:

8. colin.moody

colin.moody New Member

This was the 3rd section test piece for Pontins in 2003

9. midnight_euph

midnight_euph Member

What does the piece 'illustrate' though? Kantara is a place in North Cyprus and near the kyrenian mountains (with a castle, etc.) it played a large part in the Crusades.. but I can't hear any of those things in the music. (all I can 'hear' is a mix of circus and a train!) Anyone got any real information on it? It's not even mentioned on the composer's own site!
    Midnight_euph

10. I don't think that a test piece should always be long - it's meant to test the band and I'm pretty sure that most pieces that you play aren't that long.

It shouldn't matter, although I know it does.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    anybody
    Piece
    music
    Music From Kantara
    Cheers