Does an individuals opinion reflect on the band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Di B, May 31, 2008.

1. Di B

Di B Member

Reading a number of recent threads on here I notice that some people have very strong opinions and others even resort to the odd name calling. If someone does this do you think less of their band or do you see it as their opinion only? Although I try and do the latter recent posts have certainly put me off playing for a couple of bands in the future if thats what their players are like! Also, when you post do you think about the harm you could do to your own band through heated public debate? Interested to hear other opinions....
  2. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

When I read someones comments I pressume they have contributed as I would, my own personel opinion and nothing to do with my band. If there appeared to be a barrage on a certain subject from one set of bandsmen I may think about an underlying pattern.

Maybe someone's opinion on how an MD should be treated may stop me conducting at a band but i'm pretty think skined and like to look for the good in everyone and every situation.

Bands who want to coment officially usually do so through a regular spokesperson or have a band username.
  3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Very good point, Di. I think it's quite often that case that some who are on here simply to cause trouble don't fill in their personal information and hide behind their internet identity instead. That way, you can say what you like.

In answer to your question, yes, I've depped for bands recently knowing that somebody else in that band has caused untold offence and ill-feeling on here. Usually those people are very different face-to-face!
  4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Sometimes very true! I see tMP pretty much the same as the pub. I'd talk about anything on here i would there. face to face, or through my keyboard!
  5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Until you mentioned it, I never even thought that people could be expressing their whole band's opinions. I would never speak in that mode without a) asking my band if it was OK to do so and b) saying that I was speaking on behalf of the band.

My opinons are my own. You, the reader, have three options if you disagree with me:
    1. Ignore me;
    2. Change your opinion to match mine, having listened to my reasoned argument;
    3. Change my opinion to match yours, using reasoned argument and debate.
    This is, of course, only my opinion. ;)

You cannot blame the band for the opinons of its members unless that member states clearly that he or she is speaking on behalf of the band to which they belong.

If you feel a bandsperson is bringing his or her band into disrepute by what they are saying, then you can, of course, and after due warning by pm or in public, bring the matter to the attention of the band's committee.

Just my thoughts.:rolleyes:
  6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think it is always a bad idea to let an individual's opinion represent the band (unless of course they are the MD or chairperson).

That being said...if the offender is the only person you know of in the band, (try as one might) it can sometimes be hard to give the band the benefit of the doubt until you know how others think.
  7. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I agree entirely with Mikelyons, on this. Any thing I write here is purely my personal opinion, and is certainly not any thing to do with my band, nor should it be taken as any reference to that band. If by any chance, and it is possible, I make any comment on behalf of the band, I will make it clear that is the case. As press officer I have to be careful in this matter, for it would certainly not be in either the band interests nor my own to be unclear in any issues or comments made by myself. However in most cases I rarely get involved in a contentious issue, unless it involves myself or the band directly. In which case, any comment would most likely be as truthful as possible and in defence only.
  8. Di B

Di B Member

Just a quick clarification... My question is does one individual opinion change your view of the band they play with even though you know they are not speaking on behalf of the whole band. If a band has one or two 'bad eggs' would your opinion of that band go down? The problem with online debate is you may be responding to one individual but many will read it and may interpret your response differently. Just thought I'd raise it and so far the comments have been varied but interesting.
  9. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

No I think in a band of 27 individuals theres always going to be a variation in opinions, and just because one player has a view on banding doesn't make the whole band they play for the same!
  10. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I certainly don't take the opinion of individuals as that of their band, but I am influenced by people's attitude and arrogances online. It could put me off depping or joining a band. Why should I put myself out to help a band, if their member(s) have a poor attitude? The issue with forums such as this individuals often have a disproportionate presence. If the dominant poster from a band is a bit of an idiot...Even if the dominant poster(s) are posiitive, it is human nature to remember the negative (unfortunately). First impressions are very important.
  11. mikelyons

If you know that the opinions are not supported by the rest of their band, then I don't see that there's an issue. Over the years I've had a few spats with people over stupid or deliberately insulting comments and/or controversial issues that got blown out of proportion, but I would never hold that against the band.If I was asked to dep for a band where someone has had issues with my comments, I might adopt a sliding scale of charges, but otherwise I would not allow it to cloud my thinking. ;)

It depends on the nature of the bad eggs. If they had threatened to do me over or something as a result of what I had said, I might have second thoughts about depping for them, but otherwise, no.

Speaking personally, I do not hold grudges. Most people of my acquaintance seem to react similarly. My memory for such things is generally too short!:rolleyes:
  12. mikelyons

Speaking as one with a disproportionate presence. ;)...
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

For me, someone's opinion doesn't reflect on the band at all. I've often said that tMP is like a virtual pub - we all here to voice an opinion and debates can get quite heated at times, but I can have a right good argument with a mate in the pub, but not fall out over it, or think any less of them or their family - they have an opinion that differs to mine that's all.

The one time I do think its an issue though is when someone posts from an "official" user account (such as one in a bands name) - IMO posting any sort of opinion with the name of your band or organisation as the username is a great big no-no.

It wouldn't stop me from depping with a band which I knew had a member who I'd crossed swords with. In the past when I've had the chance, I've deliberately sought out people who've been troublemakers here to introduce myself - their reaction can be very interesting!!
  14. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more :clap:
    Unfortunately some people on here do sometimes think an individual is representing the opinion of their band. Often they're the same people who take comments out of context or take offence at other people having different opinions. :rolleyes:

With that in mind, I think its sensible to try not to post anything that could cause aggro for your band - especially not if you clearly odentify that band in your avatar/signature/posts.
  15. euph-man

euph-man Member

To answer the orignal question comments on this site I take as the persons opinion only and their opinion does not affect what I think of a band. In any organisation you are going to get poeple with strong opinions whether is be the golf club, pub darts team, sunday league football etc. Just because you may not like one persons opinion their are at least another twenty five players in that band to get along with.
  16. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

A difference in opinon dosen't bother me or reflect what I think of there band.

What does bother me is some peoples rude, offensive comments that are said on here and to me that affects the reputation of there band.
  17. leisa

leisa Active Member

No, not at all, i agree with Mike Lyons. A persons opinion they will generally not change themselves no matter which band they play for. My opinion stays the same no matter what band Im playing for. I agree with Garry as well, I have no opinion on here that i dont have equally off here.

Unless a person clearly states the opinion they write is of the whole band and that i backed up, i wouldnt for a second just presume it and it certainly wouldnt stop me from helping/joining a band. Whats the point in falling out simply over different opinions?!
  18. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

To play Devil's Advocate for a moment here, as you're all being mature and reasonable...

If I see posts of a pillocky nature on here from someone who obviously identifies strongly with their band, I must ask myself: Would I want to play in a band that contains this person? Banding is, after all, a team activity, and individuals can spoil a band's atmosphere - there are people who make everyone around them miserable, there are people who love provoking arguments in real life as well as on here, there are those who, seemingly oblivious to their own faults, love to poke holes in others. If I were considering a band with an eye to joining it, some of the posts that people make on here would make me think twice. That goes ten-fold if the pillock in question is a committee member.

And after all, people tend to surround themselves with people similar to themselves. A seemingly isolated pillock may well enjoy playing in a band of pillocks...
  19. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

That's a very good point - and now you mention it, I've seen the evidence for myself more than once! ;)

I'd also be wondering about a band that doesn't make any effort to rein in the activities of a 'troublemaker' on here. I'm not suggesting we should go for censorship, but every now and again there are individual posts which cause problems and the bands in question usually act pretty swiftly to clean up the mess. If they don't, I start to wonder why not. I think most people accept that if you wear a band's uniform in public you are representing them and expected to behave in a certain way because your actions whilst wearing that uniform have the potential to harm the reputation of the band. Shouldn't the same consideration apply online?
  20. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm not sure that it's fair to adversely judge a band for failing to hold its troublemakers to account on here. The stirrer in question may be the only person in that band who is following the controversy.

Your point about representation while wearing band uniform pretty much sums up one reason why I think walking out uniforms are barking mad, btw!