Does A Venue Of A Contest Effect Attendance

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Terrible Timp, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Terrible Timp

Terrible Timp Member

Apologies if this has been covered previously.

I was wondering if the venue of a contest effects the attendance of both bands and auidience ?
    I am involved with the Pogson Bray Trust Contest held every March/April time (my father is a trustee of the contest and during the day i help with stewarding etc).

Until recently the contest was held in Huddersfield Town Hall and saw good attendences from both bands and spectators but due to the escalating costs of the Town Hall has had to switch venues and now has to settle for using school halls. The first year the contest moved (2004) attendance was still good but for the last couple of years numbers have fallen. Looking today there were between 6 & 9 bands in the top two sections in 2003 (the final contest at Huddersfield Town Hall) with a number of good bands competing for the top section award this year it's looking like there may be 5 or less. The only thing that has changed is the venue...so back to my original question does a venue effect attendence of bands ???

Look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

2. oddbod

oddbod Member

I don't know if it does or not...

But, if I was with a band who was looking to enter a competition during a particular month - I'd certainly remember Huddersfield Town Hall as a place I wanted to perform. (Wow - what a place)

If other factors - like the timing of the contest and the prize money and the test piece/own choice also came into play - The Huddersfield Town Hall factor may certainly then really count?

Best of luck with the contest....

3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

This situation is rather similar to that of the Rochdale Contest - when it was held in the Town Hall it flourished and always attracted a good selection of bands, but in later years it was moved to a school hall and in spite of some very good management and support from the school, it wasn't the same experience. I'm not sure that the contest still takes place which is a great shame.

D

4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Thanks, this constructive comment really helps us move forward and build for the future!

Cheers Dave and Keith for more useful contributions!

5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

From my experiences with the proposed move of the Scottish Open to the Perth Concert hall, yes it does. Even though the new venue is arguably better suited to the contest on all counts.

6. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I'm sure it makes a difference. I used to play for Marsden who regularly entered the Pogson Bray. I seem to remember that when the contest was moved to the schools, it lost it's appeal compared to other contests at that time of year (Tameside), and was part of the reason for not going.

7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

A similar thing happened to the Northern Counties contest in Scotland. When it was in Aberdeen it was attractive because I think many bands appreciated an away day in early spring in the city of Aberdeen. Now it's moved to Forfar, for good reasons it must be said, the contest does not have the same appeal to bands outwith the local association.

8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I'm sure it does. If the venue is less prestigious, and possibly the acoustic a fair bit worse, bands are going to prefer to go for a contest at a better venue.

9. Well it seems pretty obvious to me that if a venue has poor acoustics, and little to no facilities for the bands and the public - then attendances will be duly affected.

10. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Pogson Bray Trust Contest
    Huddersfield Town Hall
    final contest
    contest effects
    Venue Of
  11. JR

JR Member

you mean like Harrogate conference centre or the Empress Ballroom, Winter Gardens, Blackpool?

john R

12. What I mean is, That if a venue has:_

Good accoustics in the performance hall
    Decent facilities ie changing/warming up areas; food; toilets; car parking
    A decent location ie bands/public can get there easily

The attendance will be better than:_

Poor accoustics in the performance hall
    Poor facilities
    A bad location

Hope this helps..... :)

13. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

If it was a local association contest, most probably.

14. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Moving Pogson & Bray contest away from Huddersfield Town Hall effectively changed it from a fairly major local contest to a minor one.
    I played in the contest when it was at Lightcliffe School near Brighouse, it was well off the beaten track and difficult to find.

15. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I think it's the same situation with the Leicester contest. For years it was held in De Montford Hall, but when thet became unavailable, it was moved (after a break) to a school hall outside Leicester. No atmosphere, rubbish facilities and (most imporantly) the bar closed just as my band arrived! It was a truly miserable evening!

16. Terrible Timp

Terrible Timp Member

Whilst i can see where you are coming from in that Lightcliffe School (Rastrick High) was slightly off the beaten track the contest controller has tried to keep it close to major (fairly big) roads allowing minimal disruption to competitors and spectators alike, the contest was held at rastrick because that was the only thing availible for the time the contest runs.

I however cant see what you mean by it's gone from major to minor just because of venue, surely a contest doesnt suddenly change because of a venue change when things like format and money are the same.

I know i started the thread but i only used Pogson Bray as an example of a contest as i am very familiar with it as mentioned previously i'm not trying to find out why bands aren't attending this specific contest, i was just wondering if Venue effected attendance in general not just this one

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  17. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I disagree. As bandspeople don't generally benefit financially from a contest win, there are probably those who see the prestige of a contest in venue terms rather than financial terms. Perhaps bands have taken votes as to whether to go to these contests and thought "I don't really want to play in a school hall, I'm going to vote against going"

18. Terrible Timp

Terrible Timp Member

looking at it like that then yes i can see how a contest might not hold as much prestige if it's in a school and that it's not all about the winning we at Emley have the attitude of we will turn up and do our best and it doesn't matter whether we come first or last as long as we can sit in the bandroom at the first rehearsal after the contest without wishing we'd done this that or the other but i still find it difficult to see how (and maybe i'm being bias towards the contest people keep mentioning etc and i certainly dont want to get into arguements/trouble about it) a contest becomes "minor" (possibly not as important in the grand scheme) due to a venue change is a contest not the same no matter the venue ??

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  19. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

.......And The Emley should be commended for their support of this contest.:clap: :clap: :clap:
    I have no complaints at how the school ran the contest. But there is a big difference to both the bands and the potential audience between Huddersfield town hall and a school hall.

20. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I think you'll drew that you've opened the Pogson bray debate in the first post so people will naturally comment on that contest first, and there's no harm in that.

charlie - Drew never said that the contest was being held in a poor venue just a less prestigious one - This years hall I know is excellent, and facilities are good for warm food, and there's evena pub or two witnin 5 mins walk -

thank you for the interesting comments on Pogson Bray as we are trying to revitilise this contest for future years

Garry

21. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Pogson Bray Trust Contest
    Huddersfield Town Hall
    final contest
    contest effects
    Venue Of