Dodgy Phone Calls

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by PowerRanger, Jan 1, 2007.

1. PowerRanger

PowerRanger Member

Am i being over cautious or what? :confused:

We keep getting recorded messages on our land line, e.g. "to listen to your BT messages please press 1"! that's as far as we've let it get up to now.
    The thing is, we're not on BT, we're on NTL! :-? . I've heard all sorts of horror stories about dodgy calls tapping into your account etc. We have T.V., Broadband and Phone line all on Cable.
    So am i over reacting or not?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BT
    T.V.
    NTL
    Phone line
    Dodgy Phone
  3. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

It might be a text sent to a land line. I've had one once but I can't remember what happened exactly. You're right to be careful though

4. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Yes....sounds like a text. I'm on NTL too and the first time it happened to me I got a bit confused!

5. Have you asked NTL about it?

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Have a look on the DTI website and search for nuisance calls. www.dti.gov.uk
    Similarly, www.ofcom.org.uk should have something on this, including known scams.

I'm inclined to say be cautious. If someone is trying to get a message to you, they'll try by more conventional means.

7. goosie baby

goosie baby Member

i usually change my fone number if it gets too bad. Ive done that a few times. the only thing you have to remember is to tell those you love and care about the number change cos I always forget and make an idiot of myself sending some randon message.lol

8. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Sounds like a text, if you get a little fanfare when you pick up the phone then it is. If not hmmm ask NTL about blocking such calls. But there are such horrible people on this planet for yeah be careful.

9. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

My friends (who aren't very clever) often send me texts to the landline...You get some posh man reading them to you which made me feel important....I did then have to write the number down and then check it against my numbers in my phone to find out who it was from!

10. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Yep I've done that before, funny thing is if you put kisses at the end, the person actually says kiss kiss kiss or whatever you write! Lol great to hear, all the better if the text is written in txt spk.