Dodgy Beer at Stevenage!!!! and Best drinking venue?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by jonesbp, Mar 20, 2007.

?

Which would you rather for the L&SC area?

1. Stick with the current venue in Stevenage - it's fine how it is.

30.0%
  2. Pay a slightly higher entrance fee for a venue with better facilities.

70.0%
  1. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

I was astounded at the extremely poor quality of the Lager at Stevenage this year. I never remember it being quite so bad in previous years. I had my first pint exchanged twice because it was flat and tasted like fairy liquid. I was trying to compare it with other contest venues but I thought I'd ask here. So which UK contest venue do you think has the best beer? or do most people prefer visiting the local Wetherspoons after their performance?

2. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Well, I haven't had a beer at the Winter Gardens in a long time. The thought of entering the sweaty, smoky realms of the galleon bar fills me with dread. Prefer to find a nice pub or bar elsewhere for the areas. Having said this, it always ends up being the Goat for me at London!

3. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Yes I thought there was something wrong with the beer at Stevenage, I'm sure my first few pints evaporated before I could drink them......

4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

£3 x quality of hops x alcohol content x contest result*inverse position*twisted sense of band's playing ability/actual result x number of pints bought x stock market value of brand =

DRUNK!

5. NeilW

NeilW Member

Our lot walked round the corner to celebrate (out the front, turn right and its on the left...) to a bar that also served a bad pint :mad:

Most of their draft beers were "off" and the Abbot that they did still have some of was cloudy. Even the bottled beers didn't get too many compliments (the barmaid filled one glass with froth - from a bottle of Weisbeer (sp?) )

Bright moment was when they told Hannah, our Rep player, that Under 19s were n't allowed in after 6pm. Quite made her evening :p

Neil.

6. MISS PITCH

MISS PITCH Member

its the£6 SUNDAYroasts!

*oh yer*... and the beer
    but the lunch is also good....:-?

7. Owen S

Owen S Member

That sounds like the Wetherspoons on the corner of the bus station square. About 3pm on the Saturday, they only had Courage Best on, with Deuchars IPA "coming soon", something like four beers off, and the new barrel of Spitfire failing to come through the taps despite 10 minutes of trying. They were also quoting 2 hours' wait for food, which always seems to happen.

We tried the Hogshead before we went there, but there weren't any tables free, and I think much of their beer was off too.

Scarily, I think the most drinkable bitter anywhere near the contest was the mediocre keg Whitbread Best in the leisure centre bar. Next year, I might have to persuade people to wander down the road to the town High Street and chance our luck there.

8. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Certainly went down well with our band! We were in there from when we finished playing at about 11:15am through till when we left at 4pm!

9. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Dunno, as DES for two other people I didn't sample the beer at stevenage this year.....

although if you'd seen me at Butlins, that was probably for the best!!! :oops:

10. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Poor Kimmi! There were some members of Becontree sitting near us in the bar, were you one of those?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Wetherspoons
    Stevenage
    Dodgy Beer
    Lager
    UK
  12. David Mann

David Mann Member

Although the Belvedere club (midlands 4th sec) has had its share of criticism, the Worthington was more than acceptable. How about having CAMRA select the area venues?

13. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

You see here lies the problem - Stevenage is down south......to find a decent pint.....get on the A1 and head about 150 miles North ;)

14. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I was indeed - the blonde one in the skirt!

15. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

Yeah, what I was foing to ask is; has anyone from the northern areas had bad experiences with the venue bars?

16. Texus

Texus Member

Stevenage - undoubtedly the worst venue anywhere in the known universe. Rubbish facilities, rubbish hall, cramped + overpriced bars and food. Could have been cheered up by Kimmi in a skirt, but there you go!

17. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

Andy. you must have hated that beer at the weekend. Not like the kentish brew is it

18. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I remember now! Sorry I would have spoken and introduced myself, but I was the quiet shy one in the corner not drinking much.

I apologise on behalf of any member of Cawston Band who may have caused offence to any member of the public!

19. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

ah, you'd have to go and slum it down in the first section for that priviledge ;)

(congrats to A&N btw - look forward to hearing you again at the Albert Hall this year)

20. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Thinking it was members of Becontree singing 'interesting' words to hymn tunes that might have caused more offence!!!! :eek:

Did like Cawston's funky t-shirts tho!

21. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Did not hear those, perhaps you can pm them to me!

Our T Shirts, funky? Functional and easy to get beer stains out of! Not that much was being spilt! Will send you one if you think they are that funky!

Next time Kimmi, come over and say hi!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Wetherspoons
    Stevenage
    Dodgy Beer
    Lager
    UK