Dodgy Barclays Bank email???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BbBill, Mar 22, 2006.

1. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Got this email thru today supposedly from Barcleys ibank, think it mite be from one of these useless Edit: BLEEP! that are trying to pull a fast one!!

Now, none of us at home have anything to do with Barcleys bank, we have never used online banking of any affect with anybody else (for just in instances like this and basically I dont trust it!) and I couldnt even tell you where the nearest Barcleys bank is to Campbeltown!

I clicked on the link and it just comes up with a log in page which I wouldnt like to guess where it took you on to! The link address doesnt correspond to a Barcleys address and goes to somewhere in Korea I think!

Ive then went onto the proper Barcleys ibank site, and the link mentioned is exactly the same page as the Barcleys one, but I right-clicked on the properties of the NEXT button at the bottom and its route path is completly different, its got no security encription, and its just created today....!

Looks like theyve copied and pasted the page and made up their own hyperlink! What do you think?!

Be careful of things like this folks...! ;)

Ive a good mind on sending a bunch of emails back to the sender, containing my fine scottish collection of abusive words!!!! If anybody else wants to, PM me for address.....!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2006
  2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

You're right to be cautious, there are a lot of these doing the rounds. They create a few pages made to look like a standard login screen, then ask you to confirm your details which they then use for all sorts of exciting fraudulence. The missus got one pretending to be from Paypal the other day. It's called "phishing".
  3. Di

Di Active Member

I've had several from various different banks. About the only bank I HAVEN'T had a strange email from is the one bank I do have an account with!

Please be alert and remember, your bank is very unlikely to contact you in this way.
  4. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

I think I could come up with a few other names for it and also ones for the people that send them!

Sorry Dyl, shouldnt have part-mentioned one of these polite names to describe them in my orginal post!!!
  5. dyl

dyl Active Member

That's always a bit of a give-away! ;)

The email actually does appear on the official Barclays Personal Banking site - but not in a complimentary manner:
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I had one today that really looked as though it was from eBay... someone was saying that a product they purchased from me hadn't been delivered and if I didn't send the product - I'd be reported to eBay as a poor seller. When I looked at the source for the mail, the eBay links were definately not ebay.

Be careful if you get one like this (see screenshot) and make sure that you do not click though on any of the links and enter your eBay account details. These thieves are getting sneakier - take care at all times.

Attached Files:

7. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

This is the 1st one Ive gotton, but it just goes to show how easy it is to get caught out!

(Just as well I asked mother or Id prob have went and hunted under my bed to look for the log-in details that dont actually exist...!!!) only joking!
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

This is a method to fraudulently collect bank account information from customers called PHISHING!

- Banks will never email you to request that you "confirm" or "update" your password or any personal information by clicking on a link and visiting a web site
    - Treat all unsolicited emails with caution and never click on links from such emails and enter any personal information
    - To log-on to Internet banking, open your web browser and type the address in yourself
    - If in doubt about the validity of an email, or if you think that you may have disclosed information to a fraudulent site, contact your bank immediately on an advertised number.

- more information here
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  9. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I get these all the time (supposedly) from banks I've never heard of, let alone banked with! Mostly in the USA.....I've never even been there!!
  10. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

I don't know about Barclays but Natwest online bankers have been warned about similar e-mails. You need to contact Barclays so that they are aware of this although they probably will be already but you should let them know anyway.
  11. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

E-bay have taken this problem on board, and anything which they are sending you (from e-bay or from Paypal) comes with your e-bay user name in the subject line. However it also gets sent as a PM within e-bay itself so if you have any concerns log in to e-bay independantly and check your messages.

Even the "username name as subject" thing may not be foolproof as I had an e-mail today that had managed to incorporate the first part of my e-mail address as part of the subject line.
  12. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Thank you for restoring my sanity - after BbBill said this was his first one I thought I was hallucinating - I get anywhere between 5 and 50 of these damn things every day. Particularly "Chase-Manhattan" for some reason. It's almost worth opening an account with them and using it to pay for all the C1@lis I keep getting told to buy.....after all - the "Rates will skyrocket soon".:frown:
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  13. timbloke

timbloke Member

I've received that barclays one a couple of times and forwarded it on to Barclays for info. i suggest you do the same, help them get evidence of who/when peopl are getting them.
  14. The frightening thing is that it looks exactly the same as Barclays online banking - i use it myself and would not know the difference!!!
  15. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Except that no reputable organization would ask for that kind of information via email. Even if you don't believe that this is from the real bank, you still have to be careful - there have been cases of entire sham sites being set up with names that are one or two characters off, looking just like the site they're spoofing. The most famous one was a few years ago - Got shut down as a copyright/trademark violator, but still - always check the address bar AFTER the site opens when doing banking or anything where personal information might get entered.
  16. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Yeah the only difference in the 2 pages, is the properties of the Next button, just where the route path takes you to, who knows!

(if you right-click it, then properties, you see the different address from the original Barclays one)
  17. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Clearly these emails must work, I've had the Barclays, Alliance & Leicester, Halifax ones all warning of some potential secutiry problem (clever psycology here, we've all heard of these dangers so they use that to pull people in). Only need one or two people to make the effort worthwhile.

I use Yahoo and you can notify Spam emails to them - so presumably I don't get one from the same address again but isn't there some way the addresses can be barred from sending out these phishing emails or do the addresses get changed on a regular basis or is it being propergated by virus emails?
  18. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

I got my first one of these yesterday, mine too from 'Chase', I gathered it was dodgy purely by the poor use of English in the content of the email!
    Before this, I had never heard of them before. Hopefully I'll never hear of, or from them again!:rolleyes:
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
  19. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I've had a few from Halifax recently. Interestingly enough, neither me nor my family have ever had any dealings with this bank. I wonder what it could mean.....

Also in the last couple of days I know a few people - including myself - who have received emails saying "[insert name] has added you as a friend". Some have been from university ( emails and others from hotmail. I suspected something fishy when I didn't recognise the name and it was sent to a the email address I use for emails rather than the one for MSN.
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If you have any doubts, phone the online helpdesk for your bank.