Doctor Martin Contest 2011

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Bass Man, May 24, 2011.

1. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Looks like the date for the Doctor Martin Trust 'Wainstones Cup' contest this year has been confirmed as Sunday 11th September and is being held at Middlesbrough Town Hall. As in 2010 bands will perform 3 pieces comprisng their own choice of test piece, march and solo. Prize money remains the same as 2010 (prize pot of over £7,000).

So who's going? Hopefully there will be a better turn out this year.

Reg Vardy will be there to defend their title!
  2. winterman

winterman Member

Drighlington are going! :D
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

With a seven grand prize pot, you should get half of the North of england!!

These things take a few years to get established, and glad to see this one's come round again. Hope it goes on to become a 'book early' job. :)
  4. wilearl

wilearl Member

Felling will be there. Bit of a debate as to which test piece to play. Looking forward to it!
  5. Kinrao

Kinrao Member

Whitburn are going.
  6. adrian90s

adrian90s Member

Doctor Martins contest 2011

Yorkshire Imps are going, details of programme to be confirmed. ;)
  7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Full line up from the organisers:
    City of Sheffield
    Felling Band
    Friary Guildford
    Milton Keynes (MK)
    Pemberton Old Wigan
    Reg Vardy
    Yorkshire Imps
  8. Kinrao

Kinrao Member

Looking forward to a decent contest, the date change has certainly helped the line-up.
  9. Thirteen Ball

Long Trip for Milton Keynes!

Good on em though.
  10. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

Even further for Friary:)
  11. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

Paddy prognosticates...

Rothwell Temperance - 6/4 fav
    Reg Vardy - 11/5
    Pemberton Old Wigan DW - 11/2
    Yorkshire Imps - 7/1
    Exchange Communications Whitburn - 12/1
    Felling - 14/1
    Friary Guildford - 22/1
    City of Sheffield - 22/1
    Fishburn - 50/1
    Drighlington - 250/1
    Milton Keynes - 350/1
  12. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Bargain odds on Whitburn there! I can see a fair few Paddy Pounds flying in their direction!
  13. ringa

ringa Member

is there any more news/gossip surrounding the contest.......... who's playing what etc?
  14. LittleEuph

LittleEuph Member

But a shame it is on the same day as both Hardraw Scar and the Bolsover Festival of Brass. Although that doesn't appear to have adversely affected participant numbers I wonder if three major events on the same day will adversely affect audience numbers.

Although they aren't geographically that close together, people will travel for a good event (and they are well within sensible driving distances of each other). Surely it wouldn't be difficult to co-ordinate larger contest events and festivals like these so that the dates are staggered and each event maximises both its chances of audience members and participating bands?
  15. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I suppose the argument would be that it wouldn't really matter clashing with those contests, as this one was set up with the aim off attracting top bands.

Bit of a shame there is no provision for lower sections, especially as there are no contests left in the North East...bad times :(
  16. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

you first..... ;-)

Joking aside, I'm guessing the fact that the organisers haven't published the draw or bands' programmes yet means they don't want the adjudicator knowing, so its probably not a great idea to say it on here.
    FWIW, the guy in the box is going to be Kevin Wadsworth
  17. Thirteen Ball

Generally speaking, bands are encouraged not to post what they're playing at own-choice contests beforehand on public forums, for obvious reasons.

Most of the time any such comment will quite rightly be 'modded.'

Expect note-lengths and musical sympathy to be high on the agenda then. From my experience, Kevin will often take a musical but scrappy performance over a competent but 'dull' one. And he really doesn't like overblowing.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  18. ringa

ringa Member

so if it's to be top secret, why have a pre-draw for closed adjudication?........... beats me.
    is Mr Wadsworth ih solitary confinement at the present moment with no access to I phone, internet etc... contact with the outside world
    If I know the draw, whats to stop him from knowing?
    seems a bit daft putting him in a box dunnit!
  19. winterman

winterman Member

As far as I am aware, the actual draw hasn't been "published" anywhere.. So "in theory" Mr Adjudicator still won't know who is actually playing or the programme prior to the contest.
  20. Kinrao

Kinrao Member

I'm sure adjudicators will take all reasonable steps to keep away from news about a contest when they're engaged to judge.

I think Mr Wadsworth will have a fair idea of the calibre of bands that will attend but I doubt he'll know much else.

Always nice to come south for a contest - look forward to seeing many of you there.