Do you write music?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by James McFadyen, Feb 1, 2004.

1. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    music
    thing
    url
  3. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

So would I be right in thinking you are offering to charge up to £150 per minute to put someones music through a typesetting program and then send them a copy of it on cd??? How generous of you!!

Did it ever occur to you that people who may have their music saved as a .sib file may already have sibelius and therefore the capability to do this for themselves at much less cost????

Just a thought.

Puss

4. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Surely, for £150 per minute, it would be cheaper to get an orchestra to record the work for you?

5. James McFadyen

MODS -

Would be greatful if you could delete Bagpuss's and Jessop Smythe's posts, please. Would appreciate queries or questions about this service in the form of a pm or email at devilishpublishing@hotmail.com

Thanks you.

6. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

James, we cannot keep deleting people's posts/opinions every time you decide to start a new thread. The Moderators cannot see anything wrong with either of the posts mentioned, they are simply someone's 'opinion'. If you do not require a reply to a thread why put it on here in the first place? after all this is an open forum.

Posts will only be deleted after discussion within the Moderator's Forum and at present we do not feel the need to intervene.

Thank you.

Roger

:wink:

7. James McFadyen

In that case, Could everyone please read the VirtualScore page CAREFULLY.

And, please think before you post a comment; if you have any queries or questions whatsoever, then I will be happy to answer everyone of them, but NOT in the public eye.

No questions will be answered in tMP on this matter and I would appreciate respect in this matter. If you disagree or think my services are not up to par with what you think they should be why don't you start your own company and spend the thousands of pounds these sample libraries cost, learn how to use them, spend another £3000 on software, then you can do it for yourself.

It is not polite and professional to make comments you know completely nothing about, especially when I've been doing it for years. So, please I would appreciate a bit more respect, I know that Jealousy is a reason for some posts (not meaning to be nasty or pretensious there) but there is clear indications of this and others have noticed it.

Anyhow, as the mods won't delete your posts, I'm making it clear that ALL questions and queires should be directed at pm's and email devilishpublishing@hotmail.com where questions can be answered directly without outsiders opinions.

Thank you and please respect my position as the owner of Devilish Publishing.

8. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

On other threads, there has often been made similarities with football. Yet again with this thread, I can see a similarity with football......

It's my ball and I'll take it home if I don't get my own way! :twisted: :p :lol:

9. James McFadyen

emmm, Devilish Publishing is a company. We provide services. We strive to make these services as good as we can.

Companies will always protect their services and their USP's (Unique Selling Points)

Devilish Publishing has been providing this service since we started (as James McFadyen Publishing) but we have now completed all nessesary planning to make it more wide-spread.

Naturally when we provide services other people wish they thought of first or wish they could do it, they become argumentative trying to find holes in the system.

At Devilish Publishing, the needs of our customer base come first and we will do all to protect the services we provide, if this means putting some noses out of joint then that can't be helped. It's just business, it really is survival of the fittest and we will not allow argrumentative comments to deter our path to provide our customers with a top quality service.

10. LipService

LipService Member

. forum •n. (100%)
    a meeting or medium for an exchange of views.

Can I ask why, if you do not wish to discuss the company you are so freely and overtly advertising, did you place a link on a public access forum? Both the posts you wish to have removed are from musicians with valid opinions who quite honestly have suggested cheaper and easier options to those suggested by your company. These replies were neither derogatory or insulting, merely an exchange of opinions, with a view to possibly opening a debate on the subject, which after all is the intention of a forum.

However, my suggestion is this...

To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

11. James McFadyen

Lip service, thank you for your comments.

Yes this is a public forum. Agreed. But this is in the Trade Stands section.

Advertsiments aren't usually for public debate.

There is no cheeper version of this service. The next step down is for you to do it at home on ur own soundcard. No soundcard can compete with our sample libraries.

FYI, even for the service I am providing, it's very cheep! very.

As a view to your quote from Elbert Hubbard, A business cannot survive by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing. That quote to me is and any other businessman is quite poposterous. (u'll need to check the spelling on that 1)

I really had no Idea how much experts we had on Digital Sampling technologies and mixing equiptment in this forum. Just a bit of sarcasim.

Like I said, if you can do it better, be my guest, there is tons market for it if you know how to make it work for you. :wink:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    music
    thing
    url
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

James, you should realise by now that trade announcements (made for free, of course) often provide the stimulus for quite wide-ranging discussion which, so long as it remains related to the topic in hand, is perfectly acceptable. When products have been advertised, content and substance have been challenged and freely debated, and I should personally hope this will continue to be the case.

14. James McFadyen

Sure thing.

15. LipService

LipService Member

The reason for me quoting Elbert Hubbard in this instance was not to offend your fellow businessmen, nor any individuals with a product to sell and a living to make, but was merely to demonstrate how obviously incapable 'some' are of accepting other's opinions and dare I say it, perhaps a little criticism.

Take for instance your first reply to the posts of JessopSmythe and bagpuss. You accuse them of being impolite, unprofessional and incapable people just for suggesting a view different to your own, and in the same breath demanding their respect.

The business world is demanding, ruthless and unforgiving - you will find as you grow in years, that respect has to be earned and attacking those who think a little differently from you will not help.

I now believe this thread to be way off topic!!

16. James McFadyen

No you would be not right in thinking that.

17. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Agreed, customers simply aren't going to come to you if you keep treating those who ask probing question about the product you advertise with such disrespect. I would say the best approach is to if (as you say) you know so much about this, is to use your expertise to explain exactly what is meant by the issues that are being queried, concisely and politely.

There may not be many here with experience in digital sampling etc. but there are a heck of a lot of very experienced musicians on these boards, and as it's a service for musicians you're advertising, we have a right to ask relevant and pertinent questions about what it is you're advertising. If you advertise on a trade stand on a public forum, it's still a public forum so there's no point bemoaning that the queries should have been made to you privately.

In the end, no matter what the expertise in whatever businesses people set up, or indeed, set themselves up for, the 'customer' is under no obligation to accept the statements and advertisements etc. made. Think Hutton Report.

Kind regards

18. James McFadyen

Could all further posts please be serious enquires into the VitualScore service.

Using pm's and email was the very reason to avoid such inflamed debate.

My latest post in this thread pointing towards Bagpuus should have been my reply rather than explaining myself. I apologise for this, but I feel unnessesary probing is taking place now and would respect that we return back on topic please.

FYI, there is no reason whatsoever to 'probe' this service without tesing it for yourself. All is explained on the website (or the link at the very top of this thread)

By all means, use the service and give your thoughts in here.

I would appreciate further posts be returned to the topic in hand, that is the use of VirtualScore.

Thank you.

19. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Surely you've missed the point. There's every reason to probe the service. How else do you find out more about it to make an educated decision as to whether or not it's a service you could or would make use of? I don't buy anything without looking into it first.
    Imagine walking into a car showroom and just picking the first car in there just because the salesman told you it was a good one. Wouldn't you want to find out why he thought it was good?

20. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

No, it's not. All that the website says is that it is going to cost up to £150 per minute of music to take someones music, EQ it, compress it and then put it onto CDR. The question I asked was valid as at the end of the page (the page you linked to) it says that people can send you their music in .sib format. My comment related to the fact that if someone was going to send in .sib format, they must already have sibelius and they could EQ and compress their own music rather than paying someone up to £150 per minute to do it for them. In fact, I am helping your business because I am pointing out a possible shortcoming in your advertising.

Bagpuss

21. James McFadyen

The process invloves using our sample libraries; namely the whole Miroslav Collection, Ilio Virtuoso Strings, EastWest String, plus a whole lot of other pro-level sample libraries. Our own cutom-built
    sample 'programs' are built from these also.

Just to put things into perspective a bit, the whole Miroslav Sample library will set you back around £3000, plus you've got to have the additional equipt/software to use them.

These stunning sample libraries (and the 'programs' I have created from them) are chormatically sampled from real live instruments, all with different articulations like staccato, legato, marcatto, expressive, hard, etc, etc. The string libraries even have up and down bow samples, different samples for different dynamics, pizzicato, martello, spicatto, sul ponitcello, sul tasto, hard, soft, expressive, etc, etc. choose from a group of 32 violins or 11 or 2 or 1, same for Viola, cello and double bass (in their respective ratios within the standard String Orchestra)

For any string sampling, I usually use the Ilio Virtuoso Strings, a 3 CD collection costing £1000 - I also use the EastWest Strings and although that is only a 1CD set, I usually combine these with the Ilio Virtuoso Strings and layer them for the best possible textures. All of these libraries have user programmability in mind, so we can layer different samples together to make a super lush Violin section sound with a really high attack at a dynamic sfp cresc, for example.

These are incredibly realistic and enable composers to hear thier music as if it were performed by a real musical ensemble.

The reason for the mega jump of £150 for a full Symphony Orchestra, is to do with the sheers size of the project, take an Orchestral composition and using samples to play it back is an incredible job.

All prices are based on per minute of music to be sampled.

Also, fo the most part £15.00 per minute is the one most go for and these are much more popular than the likes of a full orchestra.

As for the EQ, Multiband compression, Limiting and Reverb, we use the Waves Plug-in's. For anyone not in the know of current technology, they are superb and will set you back around £3500 (or more depending on your host software) Also, u've got to know how to use them, which for the most part, most users will be able to tinker and produce a reasonable sound but I have the experience and training to master the recording properly, so as to enhance the sound of the sampled recording and not simply demolish it with loads of compression and limiting, etc.

Just to clear up any confusion, we use Sibelius v2.11, we are hopefully going to be getting v3. I have yet to hear the Sibelius playback sound set on v3, However, it works on the same prinicple and protocol as General MIDI, so if it's a Trumpet part, it may have darck trumpet and soft trumpet and bright trumpet, but it wont have the different articulations and dynamic response that our sample libraries give off - if it did - you can be sure Sibelius 3 would be knocked up to a very pricey £3000+

However thois is not to knock Sibelius 3 soundset. Some users will be happy with it I'm sure, but why not give us a go, if it doesn't work for you, then fine - we will do a sample of your firstscore for FREE (Web will be updated with the fact this only applies to the first score you send to us)

Even if we get Sibelius 3, we will not be using their soundset for the VirtualScore service.

Also, our mistake was using the word Sibelius, you music can be in any form really, be it handwritten (however me may add an additional cost for this - currently under investigation) Most people write on Sibelius now (we've all been in the Sibelius debate ;) ) It's just a lot faster and easier if we have a MIDI file or a Sibelius file to help us get started.

The whole track is compiled in Cubase SX, using HaLion 2 as the sampler! Waves plug-in's are DirectX.

We do not use Sibelius for any part of the process. If some sends us a .sib file, we will open it in Sibelius and save it as a MIDI file, and then import the MIDI file into Cubase SX. From there we can manipulate EVERY parameter of the music.

Although sampling uses MIDI, it does not conform to General MIDI, which is how the real magic can be done. With General MIDI u have a Tumpet preset and Violin preset, etc, hey presto the whole part is played from the one preset. Sampling take every single note and we can assign each note to a different sample.

Hope this answered you're questions if not, just tell me where I can elaborate further. :lol:

22. James McFadyen

Indeed! :) This is why we are open to all serious enquires and questions. Thanks for your interest! :wink: