Do you think the move to a Kapitol Owned registry is Good, Bad or . . . . .

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ploughboy, Oct 27, 2012.

?

Do you think a move to a Kapitol owned registry is . . .

1. Good all round

8.5%
  2. Bad all round

68.9%
  3. Good, with some reservations

8.5%
  4. Bad, with possible exceptions

12.2%
  5. Other?!

1.8%
  1. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I thought I might set up a straight forward poll, see in black and white as it were what peoples thoughts are, if they had to come down to a decision, based on the complete lack of communication coming from all sides :)

2. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I voted Bad, because I don't believe there is a need to changed the system and I can only see it causing more division in banding (it already is) and costing us all more money to keep our bands running.

There is a debate thread running, it is not my intention to start another, merely to get an idea how bandsmen feel in general - we currently have no united voice on the matter, and that will help Kapitol rail road through their changes.

3. boourns

boourns Member

I've made my views pretty plain in the other thread, but thanks for adding the poll - I think it will be interesting.

For anyone who votes for either of the 'good' options, is it possible you could also post your reasons in here please, however briefly? I am genuinely interested to hear where others are coming from, because I'm struggling to see any possible benefit to the bands having this imposed on them.

There is no need for it, the existing registry works perfectly well, and it is highly likely any attempt by Kapitol will result in bands paying more for a degraded service.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  4. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

The Barnsley registry has been excellent over the years and I see no reason other than profit for setting up an alternative, also a player based registry could be the start of a cheaters charter

My opinions only and nothing to do with any band I am connected with

5. annerly

annerly New Member

I agree that Barnsley have given good service and advice when called upon. I can see no benefit in a new registry, but especially not one who's aim is to make a profit on the back of our bands. Once they have our registration... who knows what they will demand? A pound a player per month has been mentioned and it probably won't stop there. If we are to stop this 'take over' bid we all have to act; from Championship through to fourth section.

These are my own personal views and not expressed on behalf of the band I play for.

6. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I went for bad with possible exceptions. I said possible exceptions simply because, I actually don't know if there would be exceptions or not? The point being, we've heard nothing of what Kapitol want to do (other than probably charge us all more), and what possible benefits there might be from moving the registry. If there were to be benefits to changing the registry you'd have thought they would have promoted them to us all to encourage us all to get behind it - as it stands, no news is bad news Kapitol, and failing to communicate is not a good foot to start off on in my opinion.

I just hope that come the actual decision day, Bands/regions etc have communicated well enough with each other so we all do the same thing collectively as a movement.

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Bad all round. There is no need for any change to the registry - as far as I am concerned it is just a money making scheme based solely on bands' want/need for a national grading and the threat that they will lose that if they don't comply. Brass band piracy if you like.

As an aside its interesting to note that before all this registy shenanegans started it was Kapitol who effectively torpedoed the UKBBA - something that would give bands nationwide a united voice to prevent exactly this sort of roughshod treatment....

8. Ian

Ian New Member

I vote 'bad all round' - the last thing our movement needs is capitalism ( or Kapitolism ) creeping in and making profits at our expense. The present registry service has done a fine job for many years and should receive our continued support. The recent minor glitches were just that and should not affect things in the long run. Most of us play in bands because it is a very pleasant and inexpensive way of entertaining ourselves and enjoying a fulfilling social life. One of the big selling points of the band movement is the way in which youngsters can come in, learn, and gain technical and social skills which will benefit them for the rest of their lives without it costing their parents an arm and a leg. Becoming tied in to a commercial organisation which will inevitably increase its prices over the years is likely to start the demise of the whole movement and will certainly make recruitment more difficult.

9. Alan Sykes

Alan Sykes New Member

I voted bad all round. Although the present Registry had a bad patch earlier this year, the two Wantage Bands entering the recent SCABA contest received very prompt, very efficient and very helpful service. It ain't broke any more, so I see no need to change it.

10. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I also, predictably, voted bad all round. I think this is just a cynical attempt by Kapitol to strengthen their grip on banding and increase the chances of squeezing more money out of us all. Incidentally, you do know that the poll isn't anonymous? Anyone can see who voted for what. In some cases, this might put people who value their anonimity and are fearful of repercussions off from voting. ;-)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    BBP
    Kapitol
    Sonorous
    stuff BBP
    exisiting BBBR validations
  12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Ive voted bad all round:
    Kapitol are trying to take over what ever they can and in my opinion made a mess of;
    The British Bandsman& The Brass Band World as well;
    God help us if they take over The Registry !!!!:hammer

13. simonium

simonium Member

I agree with Ian, Morris and Bland are insidiously gathering as much as possible in order to essentially charge what they like when they like. The interests of the bands are not the interests of Kapitol.

14. John_D

John_D Member

Bad all round. In my opinion the registry should be independent and not directly associated with any contest.

15. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Bad all round for me - I'm aware of one local band to us that competed at the Nationals and all the bands there received a set of passport photographs to complete the registry file cards on behalf of BBPR. Their thinking was it wont cost them any money to registry, so they are -I wonder if they may regret this in the long run?

16. But will bands be brave enough to boycott the areas, would that be a better poll?

17. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

If not a very fair one though.

18. If bands won't boycott, then bands have no option but to join Kapitol, nice bit of business Mr Kapitol! all done and dusted.

19. LynneW

LynneW Member

We also had our photos taken and were told we'd be sent a complete set of passport photos to use for the new registry. I haven't actually received any photos yet so just wondering if ours have been lost. (Have any other bands that were at the finals in Cheltenham still not received their photos, including the full band photo promised - thanks). I have to say I'm against the new registry, have never had any problem at all with the BBBR, always found them really helpful and as has been said before earlier this year was only a minor glitch which now seems to have been fixed.

20. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

In short - NO - but I have now received the certificate for coming 6th and I certainly don't want passport photos to use for the new registry.

I believe that some bands have received their photographs (4th Section). Perhaps the photographic company are doing them in the order that we played and have done Saturday's first!

Definitely voted NO by the way. We don't need a new registry now the old one is back up and running.

21. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Early days yet in this canvassing of band members views but the one on All4brass is more evenly split here

Other views being taken by YHBBA and the largest one being BBBR

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    BBP
    Kapitol
    Sonorous
    stuff BBP
    exisiting BBBR validations