Do you think the Child Benefit Disc will be "found"?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by tubafran, Nov 21, 2007.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

**Conspiracy Theorist Alert**

Call me an old cynic but why didn't someone at the HMRC just "find" those missing discs and then poor old Mr Darling wouldn't be getting all that stick. Who would have known? - the government say that it's not in the hands of criminals so no money could have been taken out of any bank accounts.

So here's my thought - this option wasn't available because they already know that some nasties have got their hands on the information; had they tried to cover it up, which wouldn't have been difficult, eventually they'd get caught out.

Sorry if your details are on that disc but it might be a good time to double check the bank statement.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Darling
    Alert
    Conspiracy Theorist
    cynic
    someone
  3. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

If they know this for fact then they must know who has the disks. :confused:
    :pig just our government again :pig

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

So much for the Data Protection Act, eh?

The Data Protection Act contain eight principles of information-handling practice. These state that all data must be:
    - Processed fairly and lawfully
    - Obtained and used only for the specific and lawful purposes for which it was collected
    - Adequate, relevant and not excessive
    - Accurate, and where necessary, kept up to date
    - Kept for no longer than necessary
    - Processed in accordance with the individuals rights (as defined)
    - Kept secure (through technical and organisational measures)
    - Transferred only to countries that offer adequate data protection

I'm shocked to know that all that information was bundled together and not separated to minimise risk!

5. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

If the pigs are related to the government, isn't that a tad harsh.

Not saying i don't agree with it:lol:

6. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

USELESS BUNCH OF ****** INCOMPETENT ARSEWIPES! SACK THE LOT OF THEM I SAY! AAARRGHGHGH! :ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2:
    [/badgerrant]
    Do excuse me. Come the next election I will be voting Bin Laden, BNP, Monter Raving Loony, anything except Labour. I may even vote Tory. Labour spin so much it's a wonder the Houses of Parliament haven't disappeared into a vortex...
    Such a pity for Darling there wasn't a terrorist attack this week to "bury" the bad news under.
    BMB
    xx

7. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

You would have thought they'd have some kind of back up copy, surely?!?!?

I mean....it is fairly important information!! DIR!!!

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I watched the news at lunchtime in total amazement when I heard some government spokesperson state that... "everyone needs to take responsibility for checking ones accounts for fraudulent activity. It's your responsibility to check these things..."

My guess that this is the government trying to mitigate against any consequential claims for losses on a possible massive scale by passing the buck to us. Now if my wife had lost records of the children in her playgroup, she'd have the weight of the law come down on her so hard and fast one wouldn't see it coming.

The government though... well, they can get away with it can't they?

9. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Apparently, if someone takes money from our accounts, we are covered through various Financial Services regulations, and will get the money repaid into our accounts.

However, if someone uses our details to commit identity theft, the Government may consider compensation, but there is no guarantee.

Personally speaking, I have written to the Child Benefit Office Complaint Handling Team, Waterview Park, Mandarin Way, Washington, Tyne and Wear, NE38 8QG and told them of my disgust with this. If we are affected by identity theft because of this, I will hold the Government and it's agents responsible.

10. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Personally I'm not a Labour voter, but a part of me thinks that its just a tad harsh to blame this on the current Government.

The mistake was made by a relatively low level civil servant within "Whitehall" (yes, I am aware Washington is not in Whitehall). The people who perform these jobs do not change with the government. This could just have easily happened under a Tory, Lib Dem or even Monster Raving Looney government.

To leap up and down and curse the curent Labour administration, Alastair Darling and "spin" is somewhat missing the point in my opinion....

11. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

What I find strange is that they knew almost a month ago but didn't see fit to tell people until now. Quite a few identities could already have been stolen and money taken out of accounts by now!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Darling
    Alert
    Conspiracy Theorist
    cynic
    someone
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I would expect that financial institutions such as banks or building societies would be at the top of the list for notification to protect any individual at risk.

14. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

No it's not. The entire structure of this government and all its associated bits and pieces is tainted with the culture of spin and buck-passing.

Whose fault was it? Some "low-level" employee. Well what the hell was a low-level employee doing with data as sensitive as that? The poor sod will probably get his/her **** kicked from here to a post as cleaner in the Kabul Embassy, but the structure which can allow such a mistake to occur will not change under the current administration.
    That's not to say it will change under any other administration either...:frown:
    BMB
    xx

15. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

That seems a little contradictory to me. On one hand you're berating the structure and running of the government and yet on the other you yourself admit that the political persuasion of the government has very little bearing upon any inherent administrative culture within HMRC especially at such a low level. :confused:

I'm not saying I support the Labour government and I agree the structure and running of central government has a lot to answer for. However in this case I don't believe the politicians could have done much about it and it is unfair to use this incident as an example of central government incompetence. This is largely an example of Civil Service incompetence not government incompetence and there is a distinction between the two.

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- so why has the responsibility been placed on the government's shoulders?

17. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

The CDs are the copies.

18. Will the Sec

That Department does not exist any more. The Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM, or One Day Pigs Might....) became CLG when Prescott went.

19. Will the Sec

I sincerely hope not.

20. Will the Sec

You're fully entitled to do this of course, but (a) you won't be telling them anything they don't know already, and (b) correspondence will, should any number of people do the same, tie up resources that are meant to be used administering payment of Child Benefit, mainly on new claims.

21. dyl

dyl Active Member

....and setting up a new set of idiot-proof procedures so that this level of incompetence can never happen again.

22. Will the Sec

Reb, "low-level" employees calculate benefit for any number of claimants, and handle data far more sensitive than held in this case. The officer in question (currently in hiding in the hope that another Kelly will not occur) will undoubtedly get disciplined for this, as will several people up the line for not training him well enough in procedures relating to security of data. Essentially this is Data Protection 101, and there was no excuse.