Do you puff your cheeks out or not?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Nov 23, 2004.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I have been misearbly sick all morning (& have no idea why?!).

Anyways, when I get the sickly feeling I head to the toilet straight away. In anticipation I found I would puff my cheeks out in case I had to toss my cookies before I got there (hoping to keep debris as far from my throat as possbile and prevet a gaggin reflex). I found that this does not work as there is no excess space for the debris to go and unfortunatley made quite a mess.

Since then I have kept my cheeks at normal expansion and if I can't quite make it to the toilet in time there is room for the debris and air from my gut...hence, no mess. (It only because a problem if you have a 2nd viceral reponse before getting to the toilet)

Just wondering if any of you have found evidence to support or refute my 'dealing with sickness' theory.

2. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

Gosh. Thank you for sharing this!
    I'm now sat at my desk puffing my cheeks out and trying to work out what I do when I barf. Needless to say, I look like a right fool! I also can't remember. Your theory seems to make sense though!

Hope you feel better soon!

3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

WOW thanks for all the info there dude, made great reading at breaktime!!!!!:rolleyes: :p

perhaps if you kept a bucket/bowl/washbag;) handy you wouldnt need to get to the lav, and therfore wouldnt need to worry about it!

i hope this post finds you feeling somewhat better theres nothing wooserer than needing to upchuck and not being able to get there in time!!

4. DublinBass

If you have actually upchucked while on tMP (because you had a bucket handy), you definitely deserve the Saddo Award!

That being said, brilliant idea!!

5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

hehe im probably the only person on here who has upchucked on tmp(remember the washbag incident;) ):p

hope your feeling better soon matey

6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Urgh thought this was going to be a serious discussion about whether bass players should erm... well puff their cheeks out when playing. Had a really interesting observation on this.

Well never mind not, sure that the cheek thing ever comes into play when I've had a need to upchuck. Usually find that the excess amounts on saliva forming in mouth immediately before such an occurence is enough notice to get oneself to a suitable location, toilet, bath, bucket whatever.

I will have to confess, because Pytahgoras was there, that before a night out in Mansfield I managed to redecorate the pavement at the central bus station. I blame the food, cos I'd not had much beer, made by our prinicpal cornet player (liver in a cream sauce followed by blackberry crumble). The colour I chose to redecorate the bus station was of course mauve with a hint of cream.

7. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Ditto

8. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Ditto Ditto..... (euch!)

9. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

:eek:

10. Pastit

Pastit Member

Never seen such an in-depth analysis of honking. Usually its a case of...'when I went to bed I was OK but someone must have honked on me in the night....'

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    debris
    morning
    toilet straight
    cheeks
    normal expansion
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Using basic airflow / fluid dynamic theory - you need to keep the cross-sectional area of the path of fluid (in this case sick, through your throat into you mouth and out) the same or smaller, otherwise an area of lower pressure will form allowing the fluid to slow, causing eddys, which isn't really what you want.

So, bearing that in mind, you need to either keep your cheeks taught to minimise this eddying problem or ideally suck them in which will create a venturi effect, causing higher pressure, therefore accelerating the sick out and into a (hopefully) convienient recepticle.

Hope this helps....;)

Ian

Right, I'm off for my lunch now...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  13. WoodenFlugel

Of course the above method is only appropriate if you have a recepticle of the correct capacity and shape to hand. Don't use something of low capacity or narrow neck - very messy.

Anyway assuming a vessel of some discription isn't around my advice is to run. Fast. And don't put your hand over you mouth as this will only prove that the venturi effect works as well between fingers as it does in jet engines, if you find you can't hold everything in.

Thanks for starting this thread Pat...

14. BoBo

BoBo Member

This thread has taken me through a range of emotion including sympathy, surprise, disgust etc. I feel sorry for you BBCbari but in the end I have had tears of laughter streaming down my face. So thank you one and all for such a graphic thread, if there is a thread of the month prize, I nominate this one - it could only happen on tMP!

15. WoodenFlugel

BoBo,

Although there's no award for thread of the month you could nominate it for the "tMP Favorite Thread" category in the 24 month live awards by clicking the link below...

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10790

BTW I forgot to mention - I hope your feeling better soon Pat ;)

Ian

16. Di

Di Active Member

Thanks for sharing this important knowledge with us. :-D

Hope you're soon feeling better! ;)

17. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Please don't...:shock:

PS - get well soon! :)

18. DublinBass

One can have the same problem if your mouth is shut and you let the excess thrust go out your nose. (That happened in one of my later trials today)

19. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

oh yes, I know that one Pat... most unpleasant.

Anyway, best wishes and hope you feel better soon.

20. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

You have my deepest sympathy, Pat. As one who rarely parts with anything he's paid for before he's had his money's worth out of it, I might suggest large drafts of water with a pinch (only a pinch mind) of salt and a similar pinch of sugar (fruit sugar if you can get it) to replace the salts you lose every time you barf.

Oral vomiting has similar dehydrating effects to anal vomiting (when it does happen to me it's usually both ends at once) so make sure you replace fluids.

Also hug a hot water bottle.

21. DublinBass

Now that I know what the problem is I should be on the way to recovery (Hopefully the rest of the Spennymoor lot is!!)

Thanks all for your advice and encouragement.

& Thanks for putting up with my gross sense of humour as it is what helped me get through today :)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    debris
    morning
    toilet straight
    cheeks
    normal expansion