Do you prefer the 1st movement?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nethers, Sep 21, 2012.

1. nethers

nethers Active Member

Been doing a bit of listening recently especially to some of my favourite major works.

One pattern I see is that I often like the 1st movement much more than the others!

Lowry Sketchbook, Year of the Dragon and Prague were all in the playlist.

Totally subjective I know... Anyone else find this? Or anyone who finds they generally prefer finales?
  2. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

The middle movement of Year of the dragon is one of my favourite slow pieces of writing in any piece, so i'm going to have to disagree with you there
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Often the 1st movement functions as a 'set-up' for the rest of the work. Of your list, I'd point to YOTD as displaying that pattern for definite - the 2nd and 3rd movements grab me, but the 1st I would never listen to without wanting to listen to what comes after it. Mahler symphonies go the same way, in the main. 'Lowry Sketchbook' I don't know well enough to comment - I've only ever played the last movement.

'Prague' I think of differently - in that I find that the 1st movement is the 'meat', with the other three seeming a bit more 'shallow' to my ear. Something to do with lengths of movements, I think.
  4. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Interesting.... I can't think of one piece where the first movement is my favourite. I generally prefer the last movements/endings, unless the middle/slow movement is particularly lush (YotD being a fine example!)
  5. 1st movt. of Windows of the World! :biggrin:
  6. nethers

nethers Active Member

I've never really got this one with YOTD - love to play it (I'm a trombonist after all), and although I can hear the interval relationships in the motives I don't really 'get' how the three movements fit together to produce the whole. I guess we all hear things in our own way.

Great crowd-pleaser of a test piece though!
  7. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I love Year of the Dragon - but it's the lush 2nd movement that does it for me. Also love the 3rd movement, mainly for the mini heart attack it gives me at the beginning. I know it's coming but it makes me jump every single time.

In general, if I love a test piece, it's because it has a gorgeous 2nd movement.
    I love a good finale but if the opening is weak, it spoils the whole piece for me.
  8. covkiddownunder

covkiddownunder New Member

Most pieces by George Lloyd... The last movement of Royal Parks instantly springs to mind... What an insipid little ditty...
  9. nethers

nethers Active Member

I love the middle mvt of YOTD too in isolation, just don't quite get how it fits in to the larger work, I know I am in the minority here though!

Is Royal Parks the one where the last movement is printed on a different sheet in a totally different typeface? What's the story with that?

A good example though, starts off great and seems to lose its way.
  10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

How did you feel about 'The Allure of Shadow' Marc? Last movement of that's not bad, if I say so myself.... ;)
  11. nethers

nethers Active Member

Been 5 years since I've heard it! Send me a recording and I'll give you my tuppence worth...
  12. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

You want the 13 minute 'test-piece' version, or the 16-minute 'recital' version? ;)
  13. nethers

nethers Active Member

Don't see why good music should be edited for contests, the full wahoonie please!
  14. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Wasn't it Lowry Sketchbook that was printed in two different typefaces? Don't think I'd describe it that way though, so maybe you mean another piece.

Royal Parks is by George Lloyd - three movements: Dawn Flight, In Memoriam, Holidays. The first two are great - DF is about early morning birds hurtling around - IM is a moving tribute to the military bandsmen killed in the terrorist atrocity of 1982. The last one is... well... a bit pants. Inane stuff.
    Here's where it's been used in the past, if that helps to jog the memory.
  15. nethers

nethers Active Member

Had a poke in the library - you're right! Shows what I know!

Oh my !!!! You like any part of prague ?
  17. nethers

nethers Active Member

It's a lonely club to be in apparently!