Do You Like Your Uniform?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euph86, Feb 2, 2007.

1. euph86

euph86 New Member

If you play in a band...

What's your uniform/jacket like? Do you like it? :-? Is the colour awful? :eek: What would you like if you could choose? :confused:

Just interested!
  2. on_castors

on_castors Member

Purple, like a less glitzy version of Brassed Off! The ONLY colour widely available that I would have moaned about.

That's democracy in action for you :-(
  3. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

We have royal blue jackets with gold braiding on them and they're less than a year old. Our old jackets were HORRIBLE. They were just blue blazers with dark blue lapels - we looked like coach drivers from the 1970s, not like a brass band at all.

Now, we look like a proper brass band - on the way to my first gig in The New Jackets, an elderly couple stopped me to ask where we would be playing. No-one ever did anything like that when I was wearing the old style jackets.
  4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Ours are black jackets with aqua cuffs and lapels, trimmed with gold braid. I like ours, I think they look very smart.

We have new set of Black walking out jackets too now!
  5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I can't be doing with all that gold braid nonsense. It would be fine dressing like a military band if we all had the drill and deportment of a military band, but I haven't seen many bands that have. I much prefer YBS style shirts/waistcoats, or Leyland style DJs/Bowties.
  6. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

In a word...NO!

This has come up in discussion before and I posted the same reply. Brass band uniforms are out-dated and look silly! All Black or DJ and Dickie bow looks far better and most people have them already, so it's another expense the band doesn't have to foot, leaving more funds for Music/Instruments.
  7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I'm with Brian_sop. I hate our jakets with a passion. All that gold braid etc is so antiquated and may well put some of todays youth off joining a band because of it. I'd much rather go the Blazer and flannels route, or sweater and trousers. I'd happily burn ours tonight!
  8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

But you'd hate playing in Andy Wooler's flourescent green one as seen at Hadliegh...
  9. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

We have short black jackets with burgundy lapels and cuffs, I think they're quite smart. We also have black walking out blazers.
  10. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

I like my current uniform.

On a similar point...
    What do you think of your stand banners?
    (Personally I think a lot of bands' ones are either boring or poorly looked after)
  11. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I love ours! :biggrin:

1. Blue shirt, black waistcoat (recent addition :))
    2. Black Shirt, blue waistcoat
    3. White shirt, blue waistcoat
    4. OR.. White shirt, black waistcoat
    Shirts open necked, so theres no bow ties on stage! It is the most comfortable uniform in the world! :biggrin:
  12. onebandman

onebandman New Member

We have trad. stage jackets in red and black with gold braid and maroon walking outs. A girl I went out with at university used to think all the braid was hilarious and silly. That's the first thing she said when I said I played in a brass band: 'What, do you have to wear those jackets with all that braid and stuff!!' I don't mind it though. I don't like wearing a bow tie though. Never have. I think I look a bit of a tool.

People have mentioned us changing to waistcoats, but when I've seen bands at contests in waistcoats I always think they look like a load of snooker players. I find myself humming the 'Big Break' theme tune.
  13. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, it never quite seemed the right style to me either :p
  14. Tracey

Tracey Member

I like ours although we could do with some new walking out jackets;-

we always wear black trousers with plain navy walking out jackets, white shirts and ties
    we also have black trousers, white shirts, dicky bows and royal blue military style blazers
    and lastly we have black trousers,open neck black shirts and black or royal blue reversible waistcoats with gold badge ( this is the most comfortable to play in, less restricting and looks very smart especially black on black.

we tend to decide what to wear just prior to each engagment depending on whether inside, outside, concert or contest and is generally a band decision.

As for banners they are black with gold embroidered emblem and band name. :)
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- you forgot something ...

5. Showercap

16. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Black trousers, black shirt, black waistcoat.....very comfortable on stage, but could easily be mistaken as a waitress
  17. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Ours are purple too, with gold braiding... mm, mmm, mmmm!!!

As long as the uniform fits, then its okay I think. The worst thing is being forced into a jacket two sizes too small with the arms being too short, and wont meet in the middle - then its just plain silly! Or usually what happens with me I get one 6 sizes too big which would fit me and a couple of bass players inside it!!

Colour I can take or leave, but its gotta fit!! :)
  18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Sort of Royal Blue jackets with a small amount of silver braid on the cuffs. We also have black and silver waistcoats which, bizarrely, are hotter to wear on stage than the jackets.

I like the jackets - they're a nice light material and they do look smart. We deliberately toned down style and avoided the braid-fest that some jackets have (whats the point of it all over your back?) and the silver is a bit different too.

The waistcoats look OK, but they're a bit like wearing cardboard, and the girls in the band all complain that they don't fit them properly (something to do with womanly "extras" I think...). Out of the two I'd sooner wear the jackets.

Personally I'm not sure about the recent trend for open necked shirts and waistcoats. I can appreciate the players' comfort factor is a big plus with this arrangement but I just don't like it. Maybe I'm an old fuddy-duddy, but I like to see "smartness" on stage - an open necked shirt just looks a bit unfinished to my eyes.
  19. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I actually wore.. and USED one of them tonight!!! :eek:
  20. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Ours is bottle green blazer, white shirt, green/black tie, black trousers or skirt. For casual occasions and traveling a green polo shirt with jeans or shorts after all it is "warm" here.
    Like the uniform as green is my favourite color