Do you let the sound finish?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Di, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Does your band let the sound "finish" at the end of a piece?

In a band that I played in in the past, we were taught never to lower the instruments until you heard the "sound finish". I find myself getting very frustrated when I watch some bands play, when immediately that the last note has been played, the instruments are put down, especially noticable in pieces with quiet endings. It completely spoils the moment of what would have been a good ending for me.
  2. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

I've always been taught not to lower a horn until the conductor lowers his/her hands. Up to them to judge the sound finishing. I agree though, there are many things done physically on stage that ruin great sound moments, player clearing their throats, shuffling, loudly blowing out water, clanking slides, tapping feet, shuffling music, dropping mutes, dropping mouthpieces, dropping trombone slides (gee this is fun anyone else got one?)
  3. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

slightly related.. I've played under a conductor who stops the last chord by a sudden jerky motion. Every time. And then gives out cos instruments go down before his hands do.
    One of my pet hates is not letting music breathe, sometimes a final chord needs stretching room. Smothering it, either by dropping instruments, or chopping hands, is just wrong..
  4. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

this thread reminds me of my pet peeve with many pop singers, they'll sing a beautiful ballad, the recording studio will spend thousands of dollars making it sound like they really have talent, but nobody pays attention to huge gasping breathes at awkward points in the phrases.

Music may not be all about the details, but a few spoiled details can really screw up the music.
  5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Viva letting the sound finish!

A must for my eyes... :lol:
  6. MattB

MattB Member

I must admit, I do like the sound to finish before I lower instruments, not that the band always follow suit!!
  7. Steve

Steve Active Member

8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

As a fully fledged member of the "Chris Jeans School of Looking Good on Stage" I've learnt very well that how you present yourselves on stage is equally important to how you play for a concert audience.

Moving instruments together, holding them at the same level, not moving or shuffling unnecessarily all give a greater sense of professionalism, which can often make up for mistakes in the playing.

And as cheesy as it sounds, smiling does make a difference! I'll never forget my mum coming away from a concert banging on about how they were "a miserable bunch of sods" because they didn't smile when they stood up, and that led onto her picking holes in the performance itself!

So people, think about your deportment! Or you'll have my mum to answer to! :shock:
  9. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

This was a technique that the conductor used back when I played in Shropshire Youth Brass Band, and I thought not too many bands tended to do it. However, since I've got to Uni every band I've played with does it.
  10. Trom41821

Trom41821 Member

I must be your mum!
  11. Railybobs

Railybobs Member

I agree whole heartedly. Let the sound finish.

In an SA festival if a band plays a devotional piece, you never applaud because it ruins the atmosphere. It's something that I often wish could be adopted in contesting banding.
  12. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

And at symphony concerts, too, there are usually idiots who shatter the atmosphere left by the sublime ending to a piece. One wonders if those people are affected at all by the music and its performance or simply want everyone to know they recognized the end. How shallow!
  13. Di

Di Active Member

Are these the same people who insist on clapping when a piece comes to a silent pause, natural break or movement ending. The conductor is poised, baton raised ready to continue, there's always someone clapping. :x Really, if they don't know when they should clap, shouldn't they should just wait for those who do?
  14. ju33les

ju33les Member

Interesting to read about how to make the sound finish. My problem nowadays is starting a sound!! :D
    I must agree with the deportment though...I was well trained as a "mini-blower" to lift my instrument on the bidding of the MD and to put it down when everything had finished.
    It's just that now it seems the MD indicates me put it down much sooner than I used to!!!!!!! :(
  15. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

When I was younger and first playing in a band we would never lift or lower our instruments until indicated to do so by the conductor. Too many bands nowadays don't bother and it looks untidy and scrappy.
  16. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

At the end of Riverdance it says something like 'Freeze for 5 seconds', or something like that. i think it should say that above every piece. Plus it looks really good when an ensemble downs their instruments together. :lol:
  17. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

deportment can sometimes make or break a concert-good impressions etc. definitely agree with letting the music breathe so the audience can appreciate the final moments of a piece and not be distracted by fidgety bandsmen and women!

United co-op yorkshire
  18. Di

Di Active Member

You're right, deportment can be so important, but I have seen it taken to extremes. I have seen a band making all the music stands set at exactly the same height. :shock: Looks good when the stage is empty yes, but then you've got a 6 foot something playing looking a long way down to his music, the little uns with their heads and instruments showing below the stands and the "middle" range playing straight into the middle of the stand, providing a good mute. :? Is this perhaps going a little to far? :?:
  19. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

oh yes extreme is not good! i find that i have to have my stand quite high so i am not playing into my music and can see the music over the bell end too. not as much of a problem for those whose bells point upwards. but i think that going too far can make it very awkward for players so i have to agree with you there. :D

Flugel, United Co-op Yorkshire
  20. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Deportment is important. I think it is also important to have everyone ready to play (e.g the basses have thier instruments ready not sitting on the floor) at the begining of a piece even if they are resting.

I think that players should have thier stand at the height they are comfortable with. Our solo trom has his stand really low and i like to have mine quite high as I've had a few experiences of getting the end of my trombone caught up in the banners!! :oops: