Do you have any regrets?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by hicks, May 12, 2008.

1. hicks

hicks Member

I've got a few, but I really wish I'd practiced more when I was younger. I don't have enough time now, with having a full time job and family commitments.
    Oh I could have been a better player by now.
  2. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

je ne regrette rien.... NONE! They're pointless. What's done is done.:biggrin:
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Dicounting any slightly 'personal' regrets etc...

Wish I'd discovered playing before age 21. (Now 28 - how good could I have been?)

Wish i'd done music degree in stead of history - or at least joint honours.

Wish I'd picked different lottery numbers last week too.... ;)
  4. leisa

leisa Active Member

I wish i had done a psychology degree instead of music, I wish i had gone to nybb when i was invited and ignored people who said otherwise and I wish i had gone travelling before starting uni, but, having said all that if i had done the last two i would probably have missed out on meeting my lovely boyfriend and alot of other things as well :)
  5. hicks

hicks Member

Thanks for the replies so far.
    On a related topic, and because I'm in a reflective mood today - is there any advice you would give to your son/daughter based on your life experiences. Stuff like, if you're a man, don't go into the IT industry because there are no women :) Well maybe more serious than that, but you get my drift.
  6. Don't trust everyone and take them at face value, some will only end up hurting you.

Don't listen to what other people want you to do, do what you want to do and what makes you happy.

Any plans you do make, make them flexible. You don't know what is going to happen. Unless your into theories of business (like me) and constantly scan your internal and external environments :rolleyes:
  7. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

The only regret I had was going to university. However I'm doing the job I always wanted to do, even through I could have started when I left school. I've had to go back to college and study a new subject with more courses on the way. Its never to late to wipe the slate clean and start something new.
  8. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Yep, wish I'd bought that Ferrari 308 back in '87. Don't think I'll get another chance at one now.
  10. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Regrets? Yes, especially that I never had an affair with Elle McPherson!

Elle if you read this, pm me.
  11. hicks

hicks Member

It is too late if you get to a point in your career and depend on a certain level of income. At that stage it's extremely difficult to completely change direction.
  12. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Have never regretted anything in life.

I firmly believe that anything you do, at anytime in your life is the correct decision. If you have regrets over past decisions, you will never try anything in the future.
  13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

A friend of mine once told me it's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

I suppose it depends on the situation - but I think I know what she meant.
  14. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

I've had a few,
    But then again,

Who hasn't?

You (me!) made a mistook. Learn, and get over it - no point in dwelling in the past! :)
  15. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Yep-in a similar vein, I wish I'd practiced more of the right stuff when I was younger. Instead of bashing my way through pieces, I should have been doing studies and exercises. Now I fear it is too late!!
  16. hicks

hicks Member

I don't think it's ever too late to improve Jes. I've actually improved my standard over the last year or so, mainly due to focussing on certain aspects of my playing that I want to improve, and putting the practice time in. I'm quite pleased that even after 30 years of playing trombone, there's still room for improvement.
  17. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I sometimes wonder if I should have stuck with Clarinet rather than taking up Cornet 8 years ago. I also wonder if I should have stayed in Yorkshire 5 years ago, when I had the chance.

I suppose they are just 'wonderings' rather than real 'regrets' though. You know 'how would my life turned out' etc.
  18. My regret - going out with a clarinet player for 2 years and then dumped for his best girl friend! Grr! :mad: Strop over!