Do you have a windfarm near you... careful!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Aug 27, 2008.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    windfarm
    URL
  3. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Classic! This guy's got a real sense of the big picture.

4. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

One collapsed about 10 miles away here in Campbeltown in Nov last year.

http://www.campbeltowncourier.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/4354/Bent_double.html

Incidently, Vestas, the manufacturers of the two turbines have a factory here (just down below my farm in part of the RAF Machrihanish air base) that is due to close at the end of the year, with a lose of 92 jobs, just another blow for our small community. Its just typical of big companys with record profits and orders coming in and setting up in towns for the grant money, and then disappearing ater 6 or 7 years to the next place and leaving the folk out of jobs.

http://www.campbeltowncourier.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/4701/Vestas:_something_must_be_done.html

5. on_castors

on_castors Member

6. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I'm visiting Vestas next week in Denmark, I'll see what i can do ;)

(I work for Hansen Transmissions, a manufacturer of gearboxes for wind turbines and Vestas is our biggest customer...)

8. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

we've just received some torque wrenches to calibrate from a firm that installs wind turbines.

All 50 of the tools failed, Drastically!!!!

I'm glad i don't live by one!

9. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Makes you wonder then, why people are going wild with these wind farms. Wind, fire!!!

10. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

They just need Earth, and its a band!

:rolleyes:

(sorry, should I have saved that for the 'Bad Joke' thread?!)

11. brassbandmaestro

... and Amsterdam!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    windfarm
    URL
  13. Angoose

Angoose Member

You think they would build them with some more strength really it's a bit ironic that a windfarm can be broken by wind isn't it?

14. brassbandmaestro

Well, and when they catch fire!

15. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

normally the maximum speed of the rotor is limited by the control system of the turbine. When the wind speed is higher then the speed range that the turbine is designed for, the turbine should shut down automatically.

It is impossible to design a turbine to whitstand the extreme rotor speeds shown in the movie, because the centripetal forces in the rotor blades increase extremely quickly once the maximum design speed is exceeded. Also, the blades of the rotor will bend more and more at the higher speeds, and eventuelly one of the blades will hit the tower...