Do you get paid to play for your band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Timpking, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Timpking

Timpking Member

Is it a retainer, fee per concert/rehearsal or just expenses?
    Do you agree with bands paying players to play?
  2. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

No expenses or "retainers" at our band. Everyone plays for the love of it.... apparently!
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Nope, purely for the love of it.
  4. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Nope, we all pay subs (a lot!! :lol: )
  5. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

We get expences
  6. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

No one gets paid here, but we have no subs and all instrumenst (if required) and coaches to contests, etc are paid for by the band.
  7. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Nope,nothing, but in general our coaches are paid for and we get mega subsidised tours!!!! Love my band its mega!
  8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

i travel a round trip of 50 miles 2 times a week more if a contest we are going to for extra practise.
    I do it for the enjoyment and pleasure :clap:
  9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Just a thought :rolleyes: ; in light of some fairly recent threads containing strong views on expenses, dep fees etc., who would actually admit to being paid? If I were paid by my band (I'm not, by the way - my banding is for fun), I would probably keep quiet about it!
  10. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I play purely for the love of playing.

I'm proud to be part of a band i thoroughly love playing with and alongside a bunch of people who are absolutely fantastic both in the bandroom and in the pub (where it matters ;) )

Couldnt ask for more.
  11. stopher

stopher Member

I wouldn't want to play for a band that would want to pay me!!!!
  12. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I'm confused :confused: (yes I know it doesn't take much!!) but why?!?!?!?! would a band pay someone to play for them? and what band would actually be able to afford that? some of the top bands may well be able to I suppose... but still.... why?!?!?! the only players that I know of who get payed are deps.... and thats generally only expenses and a measly sum! I go to my band because I love... its a social thing... not a way of making money... why would I want to get paid for something I do for fun?!?!?! I pay to band.... well... my mum does :tongue: and thats just how it should be!!!
  13. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

As a student, I'm grateful to the amount of travelling expenses I get from my current band. To get to band I make a 70 mile round trip 3 times a week, and it aint cheap!
  14. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

in my band if you travel over 10 miles you get offered travel expenses, its upto you if you take them. i take them, because its a pretty long round trip (i dunno how far.. i dont drive) and also once a week i get the train to band (so it covers the train fare as trains arent exactly cheap... and the government wants to promote public transport... reduce the prices and they may get further.. anyway, thats a different topic altogether)

so, yeah, basically... i kinda do get paid to go to band, but i pay to go aswell, as we have to pay subs.
  15. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Nothing earned... nothing paid. Any money our band takes in goes to operating costs and purchasing new music.

I play for the fun of it. But I'll be honest: the way I play some nights, I should have to pay somebody. ;) :D
  16. MickM

MickM Member

I get 20p per mile (56 mile round trip)

£5 per rehearsal

£20 per concert

£100 per recording (fri eve, sat & sun)

£5000 per annum retainer

oops! sorry, i've been sleep typing again :oops:
    wow! what a dream though :rolleyes:

Answer:- Not a sausage!
  17. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Actually, you'd probably be surprised then at how many and how much a lot of the 'top', 'top', section players are paid in retainers. But then, for some of them it is their profession.

Perhaps we need to have two seperate associations. 'The Amateur Brass Band Association of Great Britain' and 'The Professional Brass Band Association of Great Britain'. Might make more of a level playing field. :wink:
  18. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Ditto!! :oops:
  19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I would!! :D

Although I'm more likely to be paid to stop playing! ;)
  20. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

This has probably been mentioned a million time on this site but there is quite a large element in the banding fraternity that do get paid quite a healthy sum e.g. a good average wage type amount. As the brass band organisation is an amature organisation these people are in effect Professional players etc so like they did back in the days of St Hilda's band so I have been told that because they where in effect being paid or believed to be being paid they were thrown out of the then Amature association and deemed Professional and so not permitted to compete in the nationals

This would then give the true brass band a chance to compete instead of just being the also rans