Do you believe in God?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ben.gernon, Apr 21, 2004.

Do you believe in God?

1. Yes

2. No

1. ben.gernon

ben.gernon Member

Do you believe in God or not? You don't have to give your name, just vote on the poll-but I thought it would be interesting to see how many tmp'ers believed in God. I don't believe in God-things like suffering, the bible-it is a book full of stories where's the proof that God wrote it?, God doesn't comply to the Christian rules of classical theism, and what about the big bang? There is so much science to disprove God's existence. However, I would be interested to hear other people's views. We could have a very interesting debate!

N.B. this is not intended to offend anyone, just a debating issue! :D
  2. IcklePablo

IcklePablo Member

3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I believe in the big bang as well.
    I believe in evolution,
    but I also believe in God.

By definition science can not disprove God. Science is based on believing things because of evidence. Faith is based on believing things without evidence.
  4. rex_b

rex_b New Member

Which "God" are you referring to?
  5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

There is no proof, because there's no claim that God did write it. The bible is a collection of divinely inspired writings and stories, largely of unknown date and authorship.

There's no hard proof that the people and events depicted really did exist, or of "divine inspiration", but how else can you explain the huge similarities between the Old Testament, Written Tanakh and Qur'an,? Just a thought.

I don't think science has disproved the existence of God - its just that noones managed to prove it yet!

Its not impossible to believe in the big bang/evolution and God at the same time. How many people actually understand the science involved in the big bang and related theories? For anyone with less scientific knowledge than a PhD, isn't believing the big bang theory as truth in its own way as big a leap of faith as believing in God?
  6. MrMustard

MrMustard New Member

Well, I've tried them all in my time - Buddism, Hinduism, Tibetan lamaism,Theosopy, some weird American cult called the Church Universal and Triumphant, and eventually I came back to good ole' Jesus.
    You can't beat a good brass band playing a hymn tune!
  7. Kernewek Den

Kernewek Den Member

God....... who :?:
  8. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Religion is a very emotive subject. Whilst we do encourage discussion and debate, please respect the thoughts and beliefs of others. As in all posts on tMP do not post without thinking first! We don't want offence being caused however unintentional.

the tMP team
  9. Yes I believe....

Science cannot prove God, neither can it disprove Him/Her. The longer time goes on...... I feel that the Bible is being proved.(look at Daniel and Revalations)

I cannot help but post this now.....

I lost my wife to cancer three years ago. She died at home, with me, with no pain and totally aware of all that was going on around her. She did have a syringe driver fitted providing morph.

The thing was that she was so well aware of the fact that she was dying- but she had NO fear at all - she could see where she was going. In fact I mostly went there with her.......but then I had to come away....

For a long time my Linda was very agitated, and kept repeating over and over "please believe" "please believe"

I am sure that she could see God at that time.

Linda died at 49 years old, but she did lead a full life. I will always remember her saying that "if I drop dead tomorrow, I have enjoyed my life"

There is a God I am sure, it maybe Hindu or Budist or Christian or Muslim.............Whatever
  10. rex_b

rex_b New Member

11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I believe in what you might call (for lack of better expression) the Judeo-Christian God.
  12. rex_b

rex_b New Member

Well I wasn't trying to. Just giving a different view. Debate is no fun if you don't have others views. Whether you believe them or not!
  13. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Well I for one believe in God and know that he is very real to me. That's me given my testimony and thanks for giving me the opportunity to do so!!

Paul Drury
    Edinburgh Gorgie SA Band
    Saved and Reasonably Happy!!!
  14. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

This is a very delicate debate... as I've already said to you Ben when we had this conversation on msn...

God did not write the bible, as already's been mentioned.
    The testaments are full of events that happened over the years and it got written down by various people... the only thing in the Bible that isn't true is the Creation Story (Genesis 1) in which that is a myth...
    Some people would then say then how do we know the rest isnt all a myth too?... one word... Faith.
    (And don't start comparing Harry Potter to the Bible! :p)

Do I believe?
    Yes, I do... but I have had my doubts in the past and ever since that little experience I've been slightly uncertain, however, I've had a Christian upbringing due to my father being a minister and my mum an ex RE teacher(!) and I went to a Catholic school...
    Even my dad has had doubts about his faith, but everyone goes through these kinda phases...

My brother has had lots of conversations and debates with my dad. Matthew believes in the Big Bang, as I do (seeing as that's what we got taught in school anyway!)...

At the end of the day, it's a personal feeling whether you believe or not... just remember, if you don't believe and still want to do the big white wedding in a church, don't bother cos remember who you're saying your vows to!

and for 1.20ish in the morning that aint too bada post imo! :lol:
  15. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

an interesting fact -

Most of the books written to argue points of religion are written of professorsof theology. So you must have some belief in order to not believe.

Me - raised with catholic values, believe in God, but I worship in my own way.
  16. ben.gernon

ben.gernon Member

How can you put your faith into the unkown-into the metaphysical?
  17. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I always thought the big bang was disliked by scientists because it allowed for God. There was a time when the Universe didn't exist (In the beginning etc etc) so where did the tiny little ball of gas come from, and why did it suddenly decide to explode. Anyway, personally I do believe in God, which I will quite happily tell the lovely people that wake me up on a Sunday morning by knocking on my door :evil: but I try not to go on about it because I accept that millions of people don't or can't, which is absolutely fine! :D
  18. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Big Bang doesn't satisfy this comment, I'm afraid.
    According to BBT, there was never a time before the Universe.
    If you take it a step further, Time and the Universe are as one, so to say that there was one ahead of the other is a mite strange.

As far as the existence of a metaphysical 'being', whom might be credited with the construction, overseeing and decision making for the Universe - I'm awaiting proof.

Personally, I'm a rather large fan of Multiverse Theorems.
    The foundations of these are pretty simple.

If you were to take a space shuttle and soar away from the Earth at the speed of light (around 180,000 m/s), you will grant that eventually, the Earth will appear behind you as a tiny speck in the distance. If you were to KEEP travelling along your trajectory and maintain LSpeed, then the Milky Way would eventually be the speck, and then, if you go far enough, the Universe.
    Is ours the only Universe you can see?
    So Where Are You Now?

How can we possibly be sure that ours is the smallest link in the chain?
    How can we possibly be sure that our Universe is the only one?

How can we possibly be sure that Someone isn't out there with His fingers on the controls?

Without evidence, I'm not prepared to discount ANYBODY's point of view.

Why we fight about how best to please this Being when we know not for sure of His existence, is increasingly difficult for me to comprehend.

Faith and Belief are powerful allies, until they govern the way that you practice them.
  19. jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint Member

Ben... haven't you got some revision or practice to do? Has this come up in one of your mock exams? if so a pretty heavy question for your 11+?!!!! :wink:
    Can't resist it!! sorry Ben but there are some opportunities that are too good to miss!!!
    See you next week mate
    James :)
  20. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I do :D

I can understand why people are sceptical. Often the words church and relegion are confused. I don't like the word relegious as that tends to describe a ritual or set of values that can apply to anything we practise whether it be church, banding or playing football!

For me, being a Christian is about having a ongoing relationship with God. I cannot claim to have any flashes of light etc but in my life (particularly in the last 5 years) there have been so so many instances that cannot be a coincidence. Things have happened with my friends, family, work colleagues etc that have followed such a definate path - not all of the things I wanted/expected but have made me a stronger, open minded and I hope...a better person.

Anyway...sermon over...back to Les Preludes :wink: