Do we have a tMP Postman?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Jun 3, 2008.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Hello ermmmmm I don't understand and I need some help!

I got one of those little cards through my letterbox today and it says I have a package from the USA (probably from my class at the school I was at!) and that I have a customs charge of £16.83 to pay!

Why?!?!?!?!

Why do I have to pay a customs charge? and what is one? and why is it so much?

Please help.... £16 is a lot of money for a poor student!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tMP Postman
    USA
    class
    poor student
    lot of money
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Import tax and VAT probably....depends what it is, and what value is assigned to it - and whether they've declared it (which of course they should have).

4. meandmycornet

I'm stumped as to what it could be! I'm sure it's probably only a load of artwork the kids have done or something! It's hardly going to be anything worth £16!

Am I allowed to ask them if I can look inside? Then if it is just artwork... tell them they are ridiculous for making me pay £16 and refuse to pay?

I don't think I like royal mail! or the customs people... whoever it is!

5. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

If the tax is £16, the value of the item will be worth more than that. I recall you pay import duty plus vat iof applicable.

6. I work for Post Office Ltd. if you take in your card they are obliged allow you to look at the parcel but they can't open it unless you pay the charge.

Is the card just the standard Royal Mail card (red card)? Or is it an international parcel card(white card)?

A £16 charge is a bit crazy though and I've never heard of one for that much. I shall investigate at work tomorrow.

7. meandmycornet

My card is grey and white with 'Unfortunately we can't deliver your item because there's a fee to pay' printed at the top! and a cross in a box next to 'there's a customs charge'!

Somebody said it would have to be something worth quite a bit more than £16 to be a charge for that much.... is it worth me questioning the post office person about it do you think? Thank you for your offer to look into it tomorrow that would be very helpful!

Also.... if I were to try and claim the £16 back.... would I be claiming it off the post office or the customs people? hmmmmm...... its a bit complicated this!

8. I'd def question the counter assistant. They should be able to give you a general idea of why you're being charged a customs charge and why it is for so much.
    Like I said I've never really came across a customs charge, its usually not enough stampage paid that we deal with and in which case its usually a handling charge plus so much to make it up to the correct stamp amount.

To claim it back you'd prob have to go through customs or even from the sender but I'd check that out.

You don't have to accept the parcel though. If you refuse it then it just goes back to sender if the senders details are on it, which they should being from the USA. Plus there should be a customs label on it which the sender must give a descriptions of the goods inside.

9. meandmycornet

I want to accept the package.... its going to be some drawings or random things the 5 and 6 year old American's I taught have made for me I expect..... I just don't really want to have to pay £16 for the privelage.... I'm wondering if Mr postman has written the wrong amount down or something..... maybe it should be £1.68.3 :tongue:

10. KMJ Recordings

That's the important bit.

HMRC Import page.

If there's something in the box that is subject to import tax and vat (which is also payable on the transport costs in some cases), then that'll be it.

11. meandmycornet

and what sort of things are subject to import tax and vat? :confused:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tMP Postman
    USA
    class
    poor student
    lot of money
  13. KMJ Recordings

Check the link - the schedules are all in there.

If it is just piccies though, there's been a cock up along the line.

14. meandmycornet

Hmmm that website is a bit too complicated for my little brain! Too many big words! I will just get the post office people to explain it to me tomorrow!

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

What noone has mentioned so far is that the amount charged with probably include about £5 as a fee payable to Royal Mail for collecting and administering the other taxes.

I was caught out on this on one occasion when I'd ordered a couple of cds from Tower Records: one was only available from the USA, but the other one should have been despatched from over here. When they arrived, they had both come from the States, thus pushing the value over the requisite £18 approx, meaning that tax had to be paid :mad:

16. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Nearly all items are subject to import duty and VAT. However certain items are exempt.

Normally gifts are free of duty and Vat, however the Post office will base their calculations on the item description as given by the shipper.

The costs of duty and VAT are based as follows:

Duty = Cost of goods + cost of carriage x by applicable % based on item description.

VAT = Cost of goods + Cost of carriage + duty paid x by 17.5%

I would guess that there is very little duty and VAT paid on this consignment but the Post Office are making a charge for processing the paperwork and paying Customs on your behalf. Before customs will release the package for delivery all duties and taxes must be paid so the Post Office will have already paid it.

If you can tell me, the declared value and the item description shown on the package I can work out the charges.

17. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Surely there will only be an import tax to pay if you've ordered / bought something from overseas. If it is a load of kids drawings I don't think you have to pay anything for it (provided they put the right postage on it!) - it would be like having to pay to receive a Christmas present from your Aunt Doris in the US. It does depend on the declared value and the description though - maybe there's a misunderstanding there? But I'd have though it was something other than school kids paintings.

Are you sure you haven't ordered or bought anything from the US?

18. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I had a Christmas present sent over from the US by Fed Ex. Customs wanted £48 for a homemade photo frame and some homemade sweets! Worth about £4!! However after several phone calls it was waived. Apparently the words ''Unsolicited Gift - nominal value'' would have avoided the problem.

And Fi do what students always do. Get your Mum to pay.

19. Liamhorn

Liamhorn Member

I'm dying in suspense to find out what it is now after reading this topic!! :p

I'm sure Liz wouldn't mind :p

20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Ask Postie im sure he will help you

21. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

Did you ever get the parcel? I wanna know what was in it!!

22. agentorange

agentorange Member

I got stung for £40 odd quid a little while ago. Damn e-bay!!