Do uPVC doors warp?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Sellers_Bird, May 5, 2006.

1. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

Right guys..question time. Anyone know anything about uPVC doors? Mum's jus had a new uPVC door on the front and back of the house and in the sun the front door looks like it has warped at the top and bottom (bout half a centimetre each way)... now for the best bit.. the salesman guy has told my Mum to throw 2 buckets of cold water on the door to cool it down!! Is he talking a load of shi* or what? Can someone please help, or are we gonna have to go round throwing water on our front door all summer? <angry Sellers_Bird>:eek:
  2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

All plastics will expand and contract to an extent.

I'd suggest that if it's as bad as it sounds that the uPVC is outside of spec and it should be changed. I wouldn't accept it.
  3. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Yes upvc doors do warp. We bought anew house and when it got warm the door was a bit stiff closing, as soon as winter came around it went back to normal. The last couple of day it's warmed up a bit and the door is showing signs of sticking a bit again.

If it's too excessive and the door won't shut then there is a case there is a problem with the door. You shouldn't have to keep chucking buckets of cold water over your door every time you want to shut it!
  4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

They should expand and conract to some degree, but not so much that you can't shut them safe a door is that?? (and if the door won't close then presumably you'd need to throw water at it while it's open and in your hall??? Do they come and clean that up for you if this water thing is standard procedure?)

You definitely need to get them back to look at it...and also to explain the bucket of water fob off, cos that's what they've tried to do, fob you off.

I know it's been warm recently, but nothing like the temperatures those doors are supposed to be able to withstand before they change shape.
  5. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Yes, ours do. We had Coldseal out several times to re-hang the front door, but since they're gone bust we had to get a man in last time. He said they weren't hung properly in the first place and they're warping off the hinges.
    Don't throw water at the doors, throw it at the salesman if he makes such a stupid suggestion again and demand a new door.
  6. pmsl....

.. don't put ideas in her head!!!!!! cos she REALLY WILL.