Do rehearsal nights make a difference?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BoBo, May 27, 2008.

1. BoBo

BoBo Member

There has been at least one previous thread about which nights are preferred for band practice. My interpretation of the poll was that the optimum pair of nights are Monday and Thursday.

We had a long debate at our AGM recently about rehearsal nights and whether it would make a difference to attracting (and retaining!!!) players.

So what I would like to know is:-

• Have you considered/would you consider rehearsal nights if when changing band?
    • What nights have/would encourage you when changing band?
    • What nights have/would deter you when contemplating changing band?

Any advice from bands who have dared change their rehearsal nights?
  2. Di B

Di B Member

The problem you have is that different rehearsal nights suit different people better! I have to look at rehearsal nights first (not section or location) as I travel with work. I think a lot of people do make a decision about a band at least partially on rehearsal nights. Think if there is anywhere locally you are likely to get players from and choose nights based on this if possible. E.g. Uni students wont appreciate fridays or nights that clash with uni band. Players with a local non-contesting band or orchestra might come over if nights dont clash. That said, make sure it suits your current members first!
  3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I'd think very long and hard before going to a band that practices reguarly on Sundays - my weekends are precious. In various bands I've done Mon & Wed, Mon & Thurs, Tues & Thurs, Tues & Fri...... and I really don't think it makes any difference. If work gets in the way it gets in the way, most other activities and babysitters etc can be arranged around bandnight if the players want to be there. I always found the biggest issue with going to a new band with different rehearsal nights was figuring out the TV schedules! :wink:
  4. T Winch

T Winch Member

Has anyone else noticed how few bands practice on a Tuesday? I wonder why that is :dunno
  5. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

No - but that's maybe because I'm at band... ;)
  6. sop 1

sop 1 Member

doesnt matter wot day rehersal is still cant get people to turn up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. eanto

eanto Member

I agree, Mon & Thu seems the way to go for me... I think the problem with a Sunday practice is..., if you have a gig on the Saturday, then Sunday rehearsal tends to go out the window!

For me, once per week = Tread Water!

Anyone in a band ever had rehearsal 3 times a week!?:eek:
  8. flugelman

flugelman Member

I agree. I have had to endure 18 months of only playing once a week for family reasons and it has killed me. I think it is an essential minimum for two rehearsals a week.

Never had three regular rehearsals but once did play every night for three weeks leading up to the National Finals. Ouch!
  9. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

We used to rehearse Tuesday & Friday but the Friday's would regularly get cancelled. We moved to Monday & Thursday and have never looked back.
  10. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Yes, because no combination of 2 nights suited everybody - shift workers, etc - we had Tuesday, Friday and Sunday.

We currently only use Sundays in the run-up to a contest or concert, but plans are afoot for quartets etc on a Sunday.
  11. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

We practice on a tuesday : )

Yup, although that was because we had sectionals every thursday -
    practice monday & weds, then sectional on thursday.

That was with the youth band, and then the town band practices on tues and fri - that near enough killed me for 2 years!

We rarely cancel practices, but I maintain that friday is a ridiculous night for a rehearsal.
    It's the end of the week, you're tired, and let's face don't always want to go to band.
    Also, people have things on on a friday evening - if works dos aren't on a saturday, they're on a friday.
    I'd love to practice on mondays and thursdays. I've tried telling them ............................................ :-?
    Last edited: May 29, 2008
  12. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Once a week just isn't enough. We practice Mon and Weds, and on the whole attendance is usually very good both nights.
  13. Bunnymonster

Bunnymonster Member

My weekends are also precious! Before I used to go to band on a Sunday my Sunday evenings were spent getting ready for work on Monday and moaning about it being Monday tomorrow, usually with some god-awful rubbish on the TV. Sunday evenings were always a waste of a few hours. Now I go to band, enjoy myself playing, go for a pint afterwards with my mates and use the 3 or 4 hours to their full!
  14. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

'Do rehearsal nights make a difference?'

The answer is yes. The ideal scenario would be to have rehearsal mornings. People are at their most receptive to learning when the mind is fresh - this means the morning. An evening rehearsal after a long day at school/work is not as good as the brain will be tired from the day and less able to concentrate.

That said, most people are unable to do weekday mornings and unwilling to do weekend mornings. Which leaves weekday evenings - with no difference to really choose between them.
  15. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

Champions League night?!?!?!?! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Incidentally we have just changed from Mondy and Friday to a Monday and Thursday. Personally it fits into my social life better, but i also know that there are others in my band that would prefer it on a Friday due to working away/college etc.

I think regardless of the night, people will always miss band now and again for one reason or another, usually work (or at least thats what they will tell you). :frown:
  16. dread0

dread0 New Member

The Horsham Borough Band and Uckfield Concert Brass are two in the Sussex area who have rehearsed on a Tuesday evening for many years - as does the Heathfield Silver Band now that I come to think of it.

The spread of rehearsal nights about the week by most bands works well if you want to then help out others in the area without conflicts to you regular band - or them even knowing that you have practised elsewhere!

Friday night can indeed be a pain for attending a regular practice session if you are ever hoping to go away for the weekend as you may want to get an early start on what is to be a precious few days off from the daily grind, though it sometimes makes the last day of the working week go along a bit easier knowing that you are attending a band rehearsal with your mates later in the day - unless, of course, you play a B/Trom because you won't have any ...

17. Super Sunday

I agree! we rehearse on a Sunday evening 7-9pm, which leaves time for a quick pint and still time to get to bed at a reasonable hour. Also I think it helps having a rehearsal on a weekend as you just don't feel as tired as sometimes (often for me!) you do after a day at work. We also rehearse on a Wednesday evening to provide a contrast!

I used to be in a band which rehearsed on a Sunday morning, and as it was quite a long journey to band and I was a lot younger, I thought it was awful! I mean Sunday mornings were for sleeping! (pre-children days!)
  18. Bunnymonster

Bunnymonster Member

We do Wednesdays too! :clap:
  19. I used to do Mon and Thurs in Croft, Mon and Fri in Brackley and now Tues and Thurs in Liec co-op. I'm gald I don't clash with both of Croft as I can coach on a Mon when work load allows.
    Other than that, doesn't really bother me.
    Don't like the idea of Sun am though!!
  20. We rehearse Monday & Wednesday, with our youth band joining us for half an hour after their practice on a Wednesday.

These days work but, I sometimes feel that between Wednesday to the next Monday is a bit too long. People tend to forget things :rolleyes:

We have rehearsals sometimes on a Friday night if we've a contest the next day. We also have rehearsals the day of contests before we leave - if we're lucky enough to get a late draw. I don't mind them but it becomes crazy being a percussionist and trying to pack gear down in 10mins, trying to get down the stairs without falling and squeezing it on to a bus!

The joys of banding! Wouldn't have it any other way though! :D