Do older people need more sleep?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ju33les, Jan 24, 2005.

1. ju33les

ju33les Member

Being married to an older man , I have noticed that a daily snooze is essential for his well-being!

And in case Tim argues back and says that he is active all the time , click on the link to see what I mean!

(Tim knows about this BTW, but he doesn't know the exact contents!!)

http://jupat.photosite.com/Timsbedtour/

(and no , it isn't rude despite the title!) :biggrin:

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:lol: great stuff....

Seems to run in the men in my family... both grandad and dad sleep after lunch for an hour or so... and I'm sure my brother will be "in the habit" soon as well.... dads done this for as long as I can remember.... :lol:....

I'm glad he doesn't come on this site!!!

;-)

3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I read an interesting article some months back that seemed to indicate that the older you got the less sleep was required. Something to do with your body functions and general metabolism slowing down so you could go further on less energy thereby requiring less sleep to replenish said energy.

4. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I think it must be that men need more sleep than Women. I go to bed about 11, get up at 5 to go to work and wouldn't dream of going to sleep during the day but on the other hand Stan will quite happily sleep all night and most of the day

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

According to the Transportation Safety Board of Canada, their studies in relation to transportation accidents indicate that the period of minimum alertness occurs between 3 and 5 (am or pm), an approximately 12-hour cycle.

In many of the Latin American countries, they take advantage of this by having a cultural tradition of siesta.

6. Fergus

Fergus Member

I think we should start a petition with the government in support of this. Siestas to be compulsory - just think when at work we could just roll out a pop up bed from under our desks and have a snooze. ZZZZzzzzzzz

7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

'Do older people need more sleep?'

Yes, of course we.....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;)

8. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Well, I am shocked and deeply humiliated :oops: There I am, just going out to rehearse my band, and my dear wife mutters something about trying something out with her new computer, and do I mind - and what do I see when I get home, an old man wearing socks with shorts, and another one with tattoos. Well it's not me, anyway, they are transfers which won't come off, and I wear white socks :-D It's too late, the damage is done!

Johnmartin, you are quite right by the way, older people need less sleep, what I have during the day is a POWERNAP. Michelle, you are quite correct, women don't need it, this is because men have to contemplate and keep a perspective, otherwise, the world would fall apart! :p

9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I agree with everything that everybody has said...

Err. Did I miss something?

Oh BTW, the trick is to appear to be awake while sleeping. Most of my year 9 classes could testify to how good I am at that. Though it's usually better not to let them know. ;)

10. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Just what I need, a siesta between 3.00 and 5.00am. That's awesome, the information you can get on this site is limitless ;) Now I'm going to ponder how I could also benefit from a power nap between 5.00 and 7.00am before I have to face each day :)

On a more serious note, at 59 years, 2 months, 10 days I haven't yet noticed any signs that I need less sleep. Could that mean I'm not old yet?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Tim
    time
    older people
    older man
    daily snooze