Do many brass bands go out on Christmas day and play in local villages at all?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by chingchongchew, Dec 25, 2013.

1. chingchongchew

chingchongchew New Member

Dont know if this is in the right thread as im new on here;
    Do many Brass Bands go out and play on Christmas day doing carols as our little jazz band play on our village green for 1hr

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brass bands
    Christmas day
    little jazz band
    village green
    carols
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

At Hadleigh we play at Basildon Hospital on Christmas morning.

4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

When I was younger, we went out almost every day during Christmas week, calling at many of the local villages. We would be warmly greeted and offered mince pies and such to keep us going through the cold morning. Sadly, that tradition seems to have died out. I suppose the need for licences from the council and the change of attitude to tradition here have wiped out the practice.

5. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

The Eastbourne Silver Band have always played on Christmas morning on Eastbourne Bandstand - this year, as the venue is being repaired, I believe the concert took place at the Redoubt. I have helped out a number of times and the place is always packed!

6. HERITAGE

HERITAGE Member

When I was younger our SA Band toured the hospitals and retirement homes in the town on Christmas Morning.

7. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

My daughter plays with Oshawa S.A. Band (just east of Toronto) and they played at the Oshawa General Hospital on Christmas morning (as they have done every year for many, many years).

8. BRIAN KEECH

BRIAN KEECH Member

Since 1901 Bradwell Silver Band (Milton Keynes) has played on every Christmas morning. Starting at 6am the band performs over a large area of New Bradwell and Bradville finishing at 9am. The tradition is that the Children of the area are not allowed to open their presents until they have heard the band. The band receives fantastic support for keeping up this tradition. This year was my 37th successive performance with many more to come.

9. One of the brass bands that I have helped in goes to a Methodist Chapel to play every Christmas morning. An interesting sub-question would be what kind of family commitments the players that attend have to consider. I can't see myself being there on Christmas mornings even if I become a permanent member of that band, for at least as long as our family gets together on Christmas day.

10. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

We (rochdale SA) were out 9:30 - 12:30

11. Brilliant! What a wonderful tradition. Well done to you personally Brian.
    Hepworth band (at least those who live locally) also go out.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brass bands
    Christmas day
    little jazz band
    village green
    carols
  13. 08cbinns

08cbinns Member

Milnrow were out in the village as well.

14. Alan Sykes

Alan Sykes New Member

It's a great tradition - I remember as a child (many years ago!) Dobcross band playing round the village early on Christmas morning; and I believe Aldbourne play from their Church tower?
    We at Wantage finish our Xmas eve 'village pub tour' with 'Christians Awake' at The Hatchet, Childrey at 12.01am, and set off again at 10.30 to tour the Alms houses, Old folks Homes and Hospital in WAntage, accompanied by Town mayor and carol singers...

15. fartycat

fartycat Member

Downton Band also have a 100 year-old-tradition of playing on Christmas day. They start carolling at 4am, beginning at the top of the village and working down towards the White Horse pub. They are invited into several homes for breakfast whilst mulled wine, warm whisky and chocolates are handed out to players and like Bradwell there is a tradition that presents can only be opened when you've heard the band. The band eventually end up at the pub where the landlord opens the doors, cooks another breakfast and offers drinks!

16. Backrowmike

Backrowmike Member

Stacksteads Band, by tradition are out in Stacksteads, Bacup on Christmas morning and on New Years Day they play in Cowpe.

17. Forest Gump

Forest Gump Member

Berry Hill Band go out every Christmas day and usually end up with a "Hail shine morn" race in my Mums house.

18. horndevil

horndevil New Member

We were out at 4am in Aldbourne, played all around the village before finishing just before 7 on top of the church tower. I have been doing this for around 40 years now with only a few missed years.

19. Ozzielover

Ozzielover New Member

Wow I didn't realise so many bands still do it, I am in Bretforton Silver Band and we go out most nights Christmas week Carolling somewhere, and then do the village Christmas Eve afternoon. And play on the village Green Christmas morning too.
    We should all be proud of ourselves for keeping up this lovely tradition!