Do I have the dumbest housemate ever?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Lisa, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Lisa

Lisa Member

Do I have the dumbest housemate ever?
    Tonight he asked me how to boil an egg...and wanted to know whether, in order to make it go soft, he needed to boil it for a longer or shorter amount of time!!
    A couple of days ago he asked a similar question about vegetables...do you need to cook them longer to make them go harder? Hmmm...:-?
    He has also asked in the past whether you can just help yourself to vegetables in a supermarket, or whether you have to wait to be served.
    Seriously, is this not just unbelievably dumb??:eek::eek::eek:

I also have another friend who does mainly microwave cooking but one day the microwave was broken and so she couldn't cook her baked beans. But it was ok because she had the ingenious idea of filling a saucepan with water and boiling the tin of baked beans in it.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    dumbest housemate
    lettuce
    fresh beetroot
    brassneck
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

I forgive him about the vegetables one, but the eggs is utterly ridiculous!!

4. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

It's the beans I have a problem with....everybody should be taught from birth how to make cheesy, sweetcorny, coleslawy beans (on toast)!

5. Lisa

Lisa Member

Can't believe you would even forgive him for the vegetables! I really couldn't believe he was being serious! :eek:

6. HBB

HBB Active Member

I didn't know about the vegetables... wait, is more time in = more soft?

7. Neil Glynn

Neil Glynn Member

I can beleive the baked beans one, one of my old housemates once asked me how she could make a cup of tea though when the kettle broke, I didn't know what to say, I thought she was joking, but she seriously did NOT know that you could boil water without the aid of a kettle!!!

8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I can burn water, so I'm saying nothing.

And yes, that was burn, not boil......

9. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

you mix all that together with the beans? that would spoil them, beans is beans is beans, you don't need out else! :tongue: although cheesy beans are nice actually!

Oh yeah, and erm i wouldn't know anything about boiling eggs, cos i don't like boiled eggs, but the vegetables thing? that kinda obvious isn't it?

My brother asked me how to make scrambled eggs yesterday, how i laughed! he's 21, he should know how to do things like that!

10. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Here are a few tales. It used to be a 'male' thing, although you will notice that it has also become a 'female' thing too in the latter years.

I remember the retired gentleman whose wife became incapacitated. He decided to cook a meal, and his daughter discovered potatoes being boiled in milk.

Someone I knew had a very well spoken girlfriend. His mother was in bed with a bad dose of flu. His girlfriend decided to cook a meal, but she had to keep asking his poor mother how to prepare the vegetables, let alone how to cook them. (What do they learn at "Rodean")?

If you have wached any of Big Brother 6, you will know that Lesley did not know what a Parsnip was, and Anthony has never washed a plate let alone cook anything.

11. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

Its unbelievale how little some people know about food and cooking! Or maybe I just had it drummed into me from an early age with my dad being a catering lecturer and my grandad a baker, I dunno!
    But despite that, yeah your housemate sounds very dumb!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    dumbest housemate
    lettuce
    fresh beetroot
    brassneck
  13. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

yup... very dumb.... especially the beans.... !!!!

14. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Beans - yeah - place unopened (and unpierced) can in boiling water, and watch. Closely. Very closely. When can bulges, they're almost ready - get closer.

When can erupts, removing the top of your skull, the beans are done, as are you. (You're also sporting the HP or Heinz pebble-dash effect - very becoming...)

Maybe you should stick to toast. Program 999 into your mobile, then take a slice of bread, and don't set fire to it....

Hit the shortcut button, and leg it. Live on burgers. Die fat.

15. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

There are some people that never should have left home...

16. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

... or they should have learned how to cook before leaving home! (at least the basics)

At least this guy tries... I don't think this has anything to do with being "dumb"...

It IS funny though ;)

17. The same principal can be applied to Fray Bentos pies, unopened tin in oven

explosion causing oven door to remove itself from the kitchen via the window = pie ready!

Great technic shame Fray Bentos pies taste like dog food. This was the technic my mother used once she also tried to re-heat chinse food in the metal container in the microwave and wondered why there were, quote 'pretty blue lights' coming out of the door, then the fuse in the main breaker blew. Still she can buy cracking fish and chips......

18. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Your housemate sounds dumb! Even when I was a student I could cook for myself! (Beanfeast anyone!!!!) Even if it was mainly Chilli, Spag Bol or Sausage sandwiches!!!

19. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

I must admit my mum wouldnt have let me leave home if i couldnt put beans in a pan and heat gently. Although i have tried to do them in the microwave, i just tipped the beans into a bowl and then put the empty tin in the microwave.......
    oopps :rolleyes:

20. Lisa

Lisa Member

And corned-beef beans with lots of cheese grated on top...and minced beef beans with lots of cheese grated on top...:tongue:

Fray bentos pies are my favouritest ever pies! I love the way the pastry is all gooey.
    Your mum sounds cool! ;)

21. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

But surely if he knew he was moving out he could have found out a few basics before going... unless he was actually thrown out without any warning, I can't see why he wouldn't have just asked someone at some point!

22. Lisa

Lisa Member

Well, in the past he has just lived on pizza and takeaways - it's only recently that he has branched out into the more complex cooking of vegetables and eggs...