Do Brass Bands require PPL or PRS

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by RMQ, Nov 13, 2015.

  1. RMQ

    RMQ Member

    Can some clear up the issue of PPL or PRS when carol playing please. We have been told that we need a PPL or PRS Licence to play carols at a local shopping superstore. They have said we need the licence due to royalties being paid. What exactly is the real requirement for us? Thanks in advance
  2. Andrew Norman

    Andrew Norman Active Member

    PPL is only required for recorded music.
    The Shopping superstore should already have PRS and therefore you are covered by their licence when performing on their premises (as I understand it if the premises are licenced then the performer doesn't need to be).
    Whether carols as opposed to "Christmas Tunes" even require a PRS licence is also a debatable question.
    If all the proceeds are going to the band or other "good causes" there is a special PRS licence available but contact the PRS society for further clarification
    Do I need a licence?
    DublinBass and RMQ like this.
  3. RMQ

    RMQ Member

    Thanks Andrew, I will contact the PRS. I was also led to believe that it was only recorded music that required the PPL. The superstore have made such a fuss over this and said we can only play from a select list of music!! The fight will continue :)
  4. 2nd tenor

    2nd tenor Well-Known Member

    Soap box (standing on) comment. I understand that people within the music industry should have some reward for creating music for us to play but it seems to me that some of their actions discourage some amateur music making. Many playing events raise very little in terms of funds; the players gift their time to the band and the band's income for the event would often be negative if players' petrol and parking costs were to be refunded. Of course some 'famous' bands do raise big money when they play - though perhaps not Carols in the local shopping centre - and pay some players to perform. In such high income cases (ie where players get paid) it seems appropriate for the music copyright holders to be rewarded in some fair way too, but placing hurdles in the way of much less financially able groups just seems wrong, antisocial even, to me.
    RMQ, Slider1 and KenIrvin like this.
  5. Euphanasia

    Euphanasia Member

    I've just renewed our band's PRS licence. It was about £60 for the year (costs a bit more if you're in the Champ Section, apparently) to cover us for any jobs when we're in a location that doesn't have its own licence.

    As a band, we are quite happy to pay this, as the two gigs which make us the most profit each year are held in places that don't have their own licence (carolling in a posh garden centre, and a Proms-type gig on a green space owned by the Corporation of London)
    RMQ likes this.
  6. RMQ

    RMQ Member

    Thanks, I will make a phone call on Monday and a PRS definitely seems the way to go.
  7. honestoil

    honestoil New Member

    Anybody know what the PRS license rules are concerning band rehearsals ? What would be the cost to cover say 100 rehearsals per year ?
  8. You don't need a PRS licence for rehearsals, only for public performances.
  9. honestoil

    honestoil New Member

  10. honestoil

    honestoil New Member

    Just checked on the PRS website and if the band owns its own bandroom or if you are a landlord letting out a rehearsal space then there is a points system that for a lower section band would incur an annual PRS fee of £101.
  11. Accidental

    Accidental Supporting Member

    Some conflicting info and advice here - not surprising considering how inaccessible the PRS website is!

    My understanding of licensing law and PRS.....

    - the PRS licence is for "public performances", and bands need their own license to cover performances they give at any premises/venues that don't have their own license.
    - Christmas Carolling outside shops often DO need the performer/band to have their own PRS license because if venues don't normally have live music performances then their licences won't cover that.
    - Bands do NOT need a license for rehearsals because they are not considered to be "performances".
    - Pretty much every band is going to need a license at some point, and afaik every band I've ever been involved in has paid for an annual license. Tariff B for performing in unlicensed premises is suitable for most brass bands - its a sliding scale depending on the grading & size of band and how many performances you do in a year.

    The best advice I could give any bands looking into this would be to call PRS and actually talk to someone about it.
    RMQ and honestoil like this.

Share This Page