do Bbb bass players practice?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by richardcowens2008, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Hi, ive been on Bbb bass for a few years now and have only practiced prob twice at home since moving on bass (montarg off 4 rehirsals). just wondering now im playing at a proper level what do Bbb bass players practice, iveheard that Bbb bass players practice on a euph to get tecnical stuff of at home then bass back at bandroom???? any help would be helpfull, aim is to be one of the best Bbb bass player on stage at next areas, anyone wana give free lessons?:wink:

Rick Cowens

2. Columbo

Columbo Member

Tut tut Rick mate! Thats one heck of a confession! LOL!

First Free lesson:

Insert Test piece into pad from stand, Position Pad under left arm, Pick up Bass in right hand (In Case for extra protection), put in 4x4 tailgate, close and set sat nav for home.

For 2nd lesson, reverse process for next rehearsal and repeat 40 -50 times per year!

Mines only a guinness please. Good Luck!! LOL!!!!!

Before anyone starts on me, we are mates! :)

3. _si

_si Member

I suppose in an ideal world you would have your own instrument at home and another belonging to the band for rehearsals, but we dont live in an ideal world eh? :)

4. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I hope you have a Large car. I play EEb Bass and it takes up most of the back seat. an Estate ( station wagon ) would be better But Practice on BBb would be best not Euphonium. Your lip and lungs need to be able to handle things.

5. Russ83

Russ83 New Member

You should try percussion! Do I have the space or funds to buy my own marimba, xylophone, glock, timps etc....er no, but...

Here's an option that has worked for me in the past. Ask the band committee if they are willing to let you have a band room key so that you could use the room to practise in. I may not be as convenient as having the instrument at home but could work for you if the band own the room (rather than hiring the room for each rehearsal) and you live fairly local.

6. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Its really sad but ive always had to buy my cars to try and accomadate the bass,it has to be a hatchback or estate so i can get the instrument home for PRACTICE lol. When i first took up playing i did try to do an hour 5/6 nights a week to develop tone and good tecnique but now its only practice time for contests/areas etc

7. animal.22

animal.22 Member

HA!!!!! Not if they can help it!!!!! :biggrin:

8. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

Good ones do, but I can only speak for the babies. EE flats

9. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I don't think it's sad at all, I do exactly the same thing.

To answer the question at hand - Yes BBb Bass players do practice. OK, maybe I don't practice anywhere as often as I should, but if there's a part I can't play I take it home and make sure that I can. I wouldn't recommend practicing on a euphonium, BBb is an entirely different animal and you won't develop the 'puff' and stamina required to play the instrument well.

10. Colin.Doran

Colin.Doran Member

here here I manage to fit my BBb on the back seat of my ford fiesta both in hard case and gig bag although I do prefer using my gig bag or body bag as it looks like, Must admit I have been looking at the new Skoda Fabia estate as it looks big enough to fit a BBb in the boot which would be nice. As to what a BBb bass players should practice practicing on a BBb bass would be a good idea I live in a mid terrace so have to practice with a practice mute in most of the time which is not great but I would defo say don't used another instrument it will knacker up your lip and as for practicing tecnique the same applies a 100 m sprinter dont train by running marathons same applies I would say

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bbb
    bass players
    ive
    bass
    level
  12. barrytone

barrytone Member

I would think that the ones that are serious and want to improve do, can't see what the size of your instrument has to do with it, that's like saying "just because I've got a big instrument, should I bother practising?", if it won't go in your car, get someone to transport it to and from band for you or get your own bass at home. As someone who regularly transports four people to band plus three large instruments, including a BBb, most estate cars will take at least a BBb and alot of bass players I know have a van just to move their instrument. Where there's a will, there's a way as the saying goes.

13. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

To and from Stevenage t'other weekend Leyfy managed to fit ( albeit with seats down ) an EEb and BBb bass, cornet , trombone and snare drum ( in case ) in her Fiesta !

14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I thought some of you might enjoy this rant from Alan Iverson (a professional basketball player) and how he refers to practice ;-)

“If Coach tells you that I missed practice, then that’s that. I may have missed one practice this year but if somebody says he missed one practice of all the practices this year, then that’s enough to get a whole lot started. I told Coach Brown that you don’t have to give the people of Philadelphia a reason to think about trading me or anything like that. If you trade somebody, you trade them to make the team better…simple as that. I’m cool with that. I’m all about that. The people in Philadelphia deserve to have a winner. It’s simple as that. It goes further than that … If I can’t practice, I can’t practice. It is as simple as that. It ain’t about that at all. It’s easy to sum it up if you’re just talking about practice. We’re sitting here, and I’m supposed to be the franchise player, and we’re talking about practice. I mean listen, we’re sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we’re talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it’s my last but we’re talking about practice man. How silly is that? … Now I know that I’m supposed to lead by example and all that but I’m not shoving that aside like it don’t mean anything. I know it’s important, I honestly do but we’re talking about practice. We’re talking about practice man. We’re talking about practice. We’re talking about practice. We’re not talking about the game. We’re talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you’ve seen me play right, you’ve seen me give everything I’ve got, but we’re talking about practice right now. … Hey I hear you, it’s funny to me too, hey it’s strange to me too but we’re talking about practice man, we’re not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we’re talking about practice … How the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?”

15. Al

Al Member

I'd like to know if basses are made out of special indestructible non-scratchable, non-dentable material.

Our basses never bother with cases or gig bags, so I presume they must be.

Oh, and which instruments are the most expensive by far, in the band.

16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Did a quintet gig once when all 5 of us squeezed into a ford fiesta to get there. 2 triple trumpet bags, t horn gig bag, trom gig bag and Eb tuba hard case. ouch.

17. Zeek

Zeek Member

I once managed to fit in my old fiesta, 5 people, my BBb Bass + mute, Trombone, 2 cornets and a horn, then 5 lots of suit bags, which I thought was impressive, but regarding practising, I do it to keep my lip in for the standard, but its just the bits that I know I need to work on.

18. Colin.Doran

Colin.Doran Member

I feel a joke coming on here now ;)

19. flugman

flugman New Member

I bought myself a JP Baby Bb bass for home use that lives next to the bed, coupled with a practice mute for extra back pressure to emulate the Sovereign I normally use. I still use the Arban for intervals and technique and cornet / euph solos for range etc. I had a lesson yesterday with our conducter and he has suggested playing hymn tunes down the octave with a practice mute for giving a big wide sound. So there is plenty of stuff to play out there. When a contest gets near I start to bring the Sov home in the back of my Celica.
    Happy practicing :)

20. Bungle

Bungle Member

Having played BB bass, I would have to say it is one of the most difficult instruments in the band to play well. I was lucky in that when I was playing Bb, the bandroom was on the site where I worked, so I would go down there and practice every lunchtime, to get the speed and clarity up using exercises from the Wright and Round method, euph solos and final movement of Year of the Dragon. My latest band has employed a peri teacher to come to give lessons and she has introduced me to 'How Brass Players Do It' by John Rideon to practice, which has improved my Eb playing in the short time I have been using it. I bought my copy off Ebay.

I find it difficult getting a decent tone out of a Bb, even going from Eb bass, so I would have thought you really need to practice on Bb as much as possible. Then again, you may be more talented than me and can change instruments easily. As for cars, if you have a hatchback you may be able to get away with splitting the seats in the back (erm not literally, I think you know what I mean) to get the bass in.

21. thanxs jason, ive mannaged that one, just havent got it out yet,

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bbb
    bass players
    ive
    bass
    level