DM Mouthpiece booster/Heritage series - advice please

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy_Euph, May 18, 2010.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Hi everyone, just after some advice please.

One of the young lads at band has moved onto euph from cornet recently (he's seen the light!) and he's doing really well. The problem I have is that he's struggling with stamina/pitching issues, as would be expected, and I think he could do with a new mouthpiece to help wean him onto the instrument. I've looked at these before but has anyone else played on one of these mouthpieces and if so will it be a help to younger players just starting out?

Cheers in advance.

Andy

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    everyone
    Heritage
    series - advice
    DM Mouthpiece
    advice
  3. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Title should read DW not DM...doh!

4. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I've been moving away from DW Mouthpeices.
    "Loud" have a good range as do Perrantucci. the rims on DW are a little to rounded for me I prefer something a bit flatter. Flatter rim helps to produce the note easier.

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Aussie Tuba, I hate to pull a well-meant post apart, but...
    1) Loud are made of stainless steel, not brass. That's not for everybody, by any means.
    2) Perantucci - don't they only make bass tuba mouthpieces?
    3) There are plenty of DW mouthpieces out there with very flat rims.

What's he on? He might just need more time to adjust. It's a big jump, after all.

6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Brisbane City Temple Band had a complete Band set so I beleive they are available for all instruments. I heard that from Barry Gott. That said I havn't gone looking for them on the net, Just what I heard. He might have meant just their Tuba section but I thought he meant the whole Band when I was talking with him.

7. MoominDave

My mistake, sorry - actually some further Googling does turn up results for non-tuba Perantuccis. Evidently I didn't Google far enough. Interesting! I may have to try them out.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  8. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I play on a DW heritage mouthpiece. It has improved my playing a huge amount, and I think it's because of the rim. Also I have just had a ceramic fixed brace fitted and that destroyed my range (literally, I struggled getting above a 'G' above middle C for a couple of days), but within a week I am already back up to two octaves.

9. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

hey Moomin Dave try out the Loud. they have a seriously Flat rim which realy aids articulation of the notes. I used to play on a perrantucci Until I tried a Loud. I realy don't want to use any thing else now. I had the perrantucci turned down to use in Imperial size mpc shanks so when I have to play on an imperial ( when My Sov is being serviced and I need to use a Band Tuba ) I have a reasonable mpc to play on. When I used it in the Sov it was way Sharp and the tuning slide was almost completly out. The properties of Stainless in the Loud realy do extend your volume and the one I'm using LM 7 has extended my Range both Up and Down.
    Normaly when reading about previose cutomers views I am sceptical. But I actually knew one of them. Wayne Bowden from Victoria. had bought one and I had played under him while I lived in Victoria( in Bayside Brass ) so I gave one a go. I have been impressed by Loud and continue to be so. It's the Best mpc I've played on.

10. MoominDave

I'm not really a fan of very flat rims, but thanks for the thought :tup

11. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

He's playing on a JP instrument and the mouthpiece that came with it, there is no name but it looks a bit like a DW4 but feels a pretty deep bore...i've actually got a JK5 which is pretty handy which I might let him try out.

Thanks for the response guys :tup

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    everyone
    Heritage
    series - advice
    DM Mouthpiece
    advice
  13. Bandsman1

Bandsman1 Member

I too moved from solo cornet onto euph and had the same probs. I recommendhim going onto a DW 6BS for awhile, then changing to a SM4 Ultra (also by DW). Mind you, it took me 30 years to find out, hey! what the hell, "its music that matters eh?" :)

14. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Another mouthpiece? Really? :eek:

So I believe, curvaceous rims more your thing Dave? :lol: