DLI Results

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by michellegarbutt, Jun 4, 2006.

1. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

The results from the lower section are as follows

1st Westoe Colliery
    2nd Murton Colliery
    3rd Marske
    4th Durham Constabulary
    5th Craghead Colliery

Best March Westoe
    Best Soloist Durham Constabulary
    Highest Placed section D Band Marske

We've left the contest now but hopefully someone can add the top section results later
  2. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Who was the adjudicator Michelle?
  3. Colin Hogg

Colin Hogg Member

Excuse my ignorance, I left the North East Some +++++ years ago !!, But did Craghead not change to Ever ready?
  4. Pondasher

Pondasher Member

Hi Colin - yes, you are correct.

Craghead Colliery became Ever Ready, and are now Reg Vardy. Sacriston Colliery Band recently changed their name to Craghead.

All very confusing!
  5. imthemaddude

I heard that easington won the A section with Bearpark 2nd then broughtons. I think Spenny came 4th I think but not sure. Dennis Todd won best soloist.
  6. Colin Hogg

Colin Hogg Member

Thanks, What ever happened to Crookhall and my first band ( I was about 9 !) Ovington?
  7. imthemaddude

Ovington folded before I moved to the north east but geordiecolin was associated with the band and can probably tell you more. There are only Greggs, Ellington, Ashington, Five Rivers north of the water now. :(
  8. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Roy Roe
  9. Pondasher

Pondasher Member

Hi Colin

As Lynda has mentioned, Ovington Band folded just a few years ago.

Crookhall Colliery became Patchoque Plymouth and then AMOCO. I seem to remember that there was then a link with Blackhall Youth Band as the last link in the chain before becoming defunct.

10. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

I'm nearly sure Broughtons are the band formerly known as Amoco- is this true, or did I just dream it?

Over to you, Mr Pondasher ;)
  11. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Ovington hung around till around 2003 if I remember correctly, the last contest being the Durham League of that year...?? :s The band had been in decline for a few years moving from Newburn Rowing Club, to Ryton, to Gosforth to try and attract players. In the end I think it was decided just to call it a day, although I was at uni in Sheffield at the time. Saying that though my sister and dad are still technically treasurer and secretary of the band!

A number of former Ovington players can be found still playing and conducting throughout the area, notably at Felling and Westoe, with former players/conductors also at Durham Constab and Easington.

With regards to the DLI, it was a pleasant little contest with enjoyable programmes in the morning anyway (couldn't stay for top section). A good result to boot, in what could have been a potential banana skin of a contest, so we're happy.
  12. geordiecolin

www.ibew.co.uk genealogy page has Broughton's being the former Amoco and Blackhall Youth band.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  13. Pondasher

Pondasher Member

Hi Jillian and Colin

Yes, Broughtons did have links to Blackhall Youth (1980) and Amoco (1987).

However, Crookhall Colliery became Patchogue Plymouth when Geoffrey Brand was the professional conductor, and if you look at Alan Morrison's Biography on his website he mentions his time with the Patchogue Plymouth Amoco Band.

14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Looks like our showing you how to play Caravan properly helped in your eventually success at the contest. Would have to assume however that they didn't let you near the percussion in African Funk.
  15. geordiecolin

Alas, we didn't play African Funk and Caravan sounded pretty good, even when played at the proper tempo ;)

I struggled though, came down with a monster cold on Saturday and spent most of Sunday being deaf in my left ear!!

(Please note I'm not disputing anything you're saying seeing as I have absolutely no idea about the history of Broughtons or Blackhall or Crookhall, have just been checking ibew out of interest!)

ibew.co.uk entries for Crookhall:

and for Broughton's

There are also seperate entries for AMOCO Band and Patchogue Band but these lack any detail perhaps you can contact Gavin Holman and make the missing links?!
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  16. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Thanks Keith, nice to hear from you. I remember Patchogue! My ex-husband played for the band at the same time as Mr Morrison, and my current husband also began his championship section playing there too many years ago to discuss!!!!! ;)

PS sorry for going off topic - Well done to the prize winners. No doubt I'll hear ALL about it on Saturday!!!!
  17. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Well done Colin and Westoe
  18. geordiecolin

Cheers Andy!!